Author Topic: Garden block test mule  (Read 53096 times)

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
Re: Garden block test mule
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2016, 12:38:43 AM »
That's a nice little DIY roller lifter measuring tool.  Do you have to watch the wheel orientation carefully?  I don't see any feature to keep it aligned in the bore.

Cool stuff  ;)
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2016, 11:14:13 AM »
You would be correct but it's pretty easy to do. In the past I used another lifter like that with a modified dog bone to keep it from turning but it's magically disappeared. One of those things that you find again not long after you don't need it lol. 
For what it's worth and that prob ain't much, the copper tube is full of plumbers lead, makes the whole thing heavy so it moves smoothly up and down the bore and also helps to keep it from rocking in the bore. I found that by fixing the roller so it will not spin it helps to keep the lifter from trying to turn. I normally just use some light pressure with my finger on the top of the lifter body itself when I'm turning the crank. So far I haven't had any troubles with it.  With everything coming back to within + or -  a thou or so at the most I have to feel like it works out OK.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2016, 10:02:18 PM »
Still waiting on my head gasket. Getting frustrated but can do nothing but wait. Have gotten 3 different "expected delivery" dates. The last got was 7_15_16 yet I still haven't seen it. I was able to get my 660's back together over the weekend though. Thanks to Allstate carbs for there quality billet custom base plates and there over haul kits and hard parts and squirters. There great to work with and have competitive Price's. I'm still a big fan of the 660's for all out racing.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 08:16:09 PM by fekbmax »
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2016, 10:08:57 PM »
Also got my vacuum pump and alternator pulleys installed along with my crank trigger wheel and sensor and bracket assembly..
Baby steps...

« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 08:17:13 PM by fekbmax »
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2016, 06:19:00 AM »
I seems like there is much more you can buy
today then in the 80s. But you have to wait
much longer.......just on a simpel thing like
headgaskets...or valvesprings....or pistons

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2016, 07:15:48 PM »
Looking nice Keith! Keep it up.  :)
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2016, 09:27:14 PM »
Head gasket shipped today.. yey.. 
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2016, 06:40:47 AM »
Beautiful....  I have engine Envy  :0)
Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2016, 07:48:25 PM »
Home fabricated Hybrid intake and carbs all ready to go on the FE power intake adapter.. :o

FunnelWeb setup also ready

« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 08:19:46 PM by fekbmax »
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2016, 08:51:34 PM »
Kool!!! Can't wait to see that installed. :)
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2016, 09:47:15 PM »
That's a really nice set-up! You do some very nice work, Keith. That intake looks like a nicely designed piece. Is that a pop-off valve on the back of the intake, for backfires?

It looks like you have dividers between 1/5 & 7/8 ports (if I'm looking at it correctly). Is that to minimize port disturbance with sequential firing cylinders? I've thought about that issue before with open plenum intakes. Have you gotten any evidence that it made or makes a difference on your set-up?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 09:52:21 PM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2016, 12:23:46 PM »
Thanks Doug, I appreciate it. It's all just home brewed old school back yard stuff. The intake runners are cut pro ram runners from a 351C tunnel ram I used on a PSE adapter years back. The plenum I fabbed up and initially made it with to much plenum volume for a little FE and hand ported heads. It looks monstrous on the outside but you can see I did shrink down the plenum volume some on the inside . My hopes are that it works ok with a few more cubic inches now and some awesome flowing Kuntz heads. I know on my old combo that when I went from the 1" open spacers to 1-1/2" 4 hole spacers it picked up from a 6.21 to a 6.03 (1/8th) just with the spacer change. Stronger signal with the 660's and 4 hole spacers must have really helped the intake. That's where I'll start at again knowing that alot has changed and I'll have to most likely make some changes again. The 660's are now a bit more tunable and with the blended Venturi mods and the modified base plate they should be flowing closer to 740 cfm each. The dividers are just as you ex spected, I have no proof (as of yet) that this will or will not help or how much but I have read alot of old school articles about tuning tunnel rams, how those cylinders could potentially Rob the intake charge due to the pulse of the side by side cylinder's and how using the 4 hole spacer will also help because of maintaining a stronger signal. Grumpy's garage has excellent articles and tuning advice for all sorts of tunnel rams.
I guess I'm stuck in old school but for good reason, I don't have a dyno or easy access to one, I can't afford to spend hours and hours on one to gain 5 or 10 hp so I still rely on older method's and try things that I read about and have seen in the past. I know back before the split Dominators were so popular,  i seen several fabricated Intakes with these type of dividers in them. The big inch fords looked alot like what I did and the Chevy's always had there's straight down the middle which makes since due to the Chevy firing order.
Is what I done really worth anything or not?  Idk but I'm hoping at least that it cant really hurt.
Yes, that's a pop off valve, got it from a swap meet several years ago and it fit nicely on the back of the plenum so I installed it. After all, there could be some fogging (BUG SPRAY) action in the future..  :o
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 02:31:47 PM by fekbmax »
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2016, 12:40:11 PM »
You get big props in my book for doing this stuff in your house and yard.
True hot rodder.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2016, 10:45:51 PM »
Well, just my gut feeling, the dividers probably do not hurt and may actually help, but I have no proof either. I also like the stealth look of the black, not to mention it sheds heat faster. One last question; what are the phillips screw heads for, in the bottom of the plenum? What are you hiding underneath? 8)  Screws in plenums would make me nervous...lol
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2016, 06:15:01 AM »
There actualy not in there any longer, they were there to hold down the channel  for welding so it wouldn't  roll up on the ends or raise in the center from the exstream heat from tig welding aluminum. 
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.