Author Topic: My FE Powered 1966 F100 "Project"  (Read 97527 times)

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
Re: My FE Powered 1966 F100 "Project"
« Reply #195 on: December 02, 2018, 01:07:41 AM »
Fantastic looking truck. Time to put some miles on it, right?
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 05, 2018, 12:43:10 PM »
Fantastic looking truck. Time to put some miles on it, right?

Around 240 miles so far!

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 05, 2018, 04:13:15 PM »
Wrong forum

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 27, 2019, 11:01:37 PM »
This project nearing completion. Antenna, washer hoses and a few pieces on interior left.

Big award @ GoodGuys a couple weekends ago. Ford Truck Pick out of hundreds of ford trucks

video from today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzBUxWvnHzU

JamesonRacing

• 1966 - What a great year for FOMOCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 28, 2019, 11:57:11 AM »
For the life of me, I can't imagine what a person could do to make a more perfect 66 slick.

Well.  Done.  Sir.
1966 Fairlane GT, Silver Blue/Black 496/C4 (9.93@133)
1966 Fairlane GT, Nightmist Blue/Black 465/TKO (11.41@122)
1966 Fairlane GTA Conv, Antique Bronze/Black, 418EFI/C6
1966 F250 C/S, Rangoon Red, 445/T19
1965 Falcon Futura 4-door, Turquoise, EF! Z2363/4R70W

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 28, 2019, 12:04:03 PM »
I agree great job.

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 28, 2019, 04:03:10 PM »
Sweetest F100 ever!
Kevin McCullah

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 28, 2019, 04:51:24 PM »
I’ll add my kudos also.
Well deserved praise.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 29, 2019, 02:08:24 PM »
Thanks to all for the comments!
1200 miles so far
Getting the EFI dialed in but no way no how would I ever
Use FiTech again. (FiTech customer service not the unit itself although fuel pump quit) Still not running like I think it should.

The new solid roller cam installed also.
Less power under 4000 rpm more over.

Runs very close to original cam with just a touch more vacuum

Still messing with tuning so only went over 4000 1 time
Started to feel pretty good then but not a bunch different from other cam.

Will give it equal miles to learn. Current tank of fuel
Easy driving around 10mpg.mostly freeway 65 mph around 2500 rpm.  Will need to fill for exact number.

Converter likes the new cam better. Less rpm at cruise.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 10:00:49 AM by TimeWarpF100 »

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 29, 2019, 03:13:07 PM »
185-187 psi cranking compression with current cam.
Leak down 6%

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 30, 2019, 08:08:47 AM »
I sent you a PM, but I would not blame the FITech too much yet and recommend you don't just let it learn, it won't get there, none of them do. BTW, if you are on Facebook, there is an FITech page that you will likely get more help, but beware, skill levels and opinions are all over the place

I think you may need to get the timing in a better place in two scenarios, first is the initial/total at WOT, that's the easy part, especially if it has an option to retard during cranking.  If it does, I'd have that engine at 22 initial at idle, 36 or so total, and all in by about 3000.  If it doesn't have a built in retard for crank, then less initial.

The next part is where you get your mileage.  The system should allow you to adjust timing based on vacuum, and if you can get 45+ degrees total at low load (cruise vacuum), your mileage will continue to pick up.

In the old posts, the guys poked at your intake. I am not judging your build at all, I'd run that intake in a heartbeat, in fact my 461 inch 4x4 is getting a ported EFI Victor, but at low RPM, even with less cam, there is going to be some mixture dilution from overlap and potentially fuel falling out of suspension.  That is countered by more advance, especially at higher vacuum cruise

I'd also drop the idle down quite a bit.  After all of that, need to make sure you have throttle plates set right for the IAC position and reset the TPS limits.  In fact, any time you adjust any screw on a throttle body, remember to relearn TPS, it's how the ECM knows what your foot is doing

Additionally, make sure that the WOT and cruise AFRs are set right.  I generally like low 13's at low vacuum, but you can let it climb at high vacuum, up neat 14.5 even, especially if the timing is advanced at low load.

In the end, it doesn't have an OD or lock up converter like your 6 cyl rocket, both drive the mileage up too,  but I am confident that that engine has much more if you dig into it a little.

In fact, my hunch is that new cam, if anything, should have gained tire smoking power down low, a lot in fact, so I would have to guess there are some setup parameters the engine doesn't like.  TPS setting, initial timing, rate, something.

Let me wrap it up that as others said, it's beautiful, I wish you were closer to Nebraska, I'd love to spend a Saturday dialing it in.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 08:11:20 AM by My427stang »
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 30, 2019, 09:32:43 AM »
I'm with Ross.  A session of EFI tuning would most likely be the perfect bow for that beautiful package!

Part-throttle stuff is hard to get right.  Self-learning algorithms just don't seem to get there on higher power packages.  An optimal tune will turn mushy into snappy, with better mpg as a bonus.

As I've said before, that thing is jaw-droppingly gorgeous  8) 8)
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 30, 2019, 09:50:02 AM »
I sent you a PM, but I would not blame the FITech too much yet and recommend you don't just let it learn, it won't get there, none of them do. BTW, if you are on Facebook, there is an FITech page that you will likely get more help, but beware, skill levels and opinions are all over the place

Thanks for reply! Just checked did not get a PM. Last one was back on December 5th. I am not blaming the FiTech Unit its FiTech customer service. I stopped by the FiTech booth at GoodGuys a few weeks back and they said with the current handheld & software I would NEVER get it to run right. They went off and listed a dozen reasons why in many instances the software simply does not know what to do. I have been trying to get the new Handheld and software since. Last Monday they told me it was sent out. I waited until Thursday then sent them a message asking for a Tracking number. Yesterday morning they told me they did not have a handheld to send to me! Nothing but lip service from them. I do not have facebook but do have instagram

I think you may need to get the timing in a better place in two scenarios, first is the initial/total at WOT, that's the easy part, especially if it has an option to retard during cranking.  If it does, I'd have that engine at 22 initial at idle, 36 or so total, and all in by about 3000.  If it doesn't have a built in retard for crank, then less initial.

Biggest issue here is "Time" of being able to work on truck. Its been 11 yrs to get to this point. Also another biggie is a place for "testing" being kitty corner from a very large police station and having a Sheriff station a couple miles away I simply cannot drive one mile without seeing 1-3 cops. There was a Excellent testing road a couple years ago but now there are HUGE housing developments and a large preserve, park with hiking and biking, horses. I drive in area and as long as I stay close to 45 mph speed limit am good.

The next part is where you get your mileage.  The system should allow you to adjust timing based on vacuum, and if you can get 45+ degrees total at low load (cruise vacuum), your mileage will continue to pick up.    Although many months have passed since I have gotten it running driving I have been spending time as allowed to actually finish truck. Its still not done but close. But now its finally time to get it more dialed in

In the old posts, the guys poked at your intake. I am not judging your build at all, I'd run that intake in a heartbeat, in fact my 461 inch 4x4 is getting a ported EFI Victor, but at low RPM, even with less cam, there is going to be some mixture dilution from overlap and potentially fuel falling out of suspension.  That is countered by more advance, especially at higher vacuum cruise   Intake is staying so what ever is the best I can get it to run with this intake I will have to live with it. I think its doing a much better job than some think.

I'd also drop the idle down quite a bit.  After all of that, need to make sure you have throttle plates set right for the IAC position and reset the TPS limits.  In fact, any time you adjust any screw on a throttle body, remember to relearn TPS, it's how the ECM knows what your foot is doing   In the video everything had been reset and on default except for idle adjustment which was set to 850 it takes a bit to allow idle to drop engine not quite warmed up so idle was around 1100. I now need to go back thru all setup procedures and basically start over with settings/adjustments.

Additionally, make sure that the WOT and cruise AFRs are set right.  I generally like low 13's at low vacuum, but you can let it climb at high vacuum, up neat 14.5 even, especially if the timing is advanced at low load. Now that truck is close to being done I can mess with proper "tuning" I just wish fitech would get off their butt and send me the needed handheld and software. Reason I have spent so little time "tuning" they themselves said without it it will not work proper with a bigger inch dual quad setup.

In the end, it doesn't have an OD or lock up converter like your 6 cyl rocket, both drive the mileage up too,  but I am confident that that engine has much more if you dig into it a little. I do have a GV OD. final gear is 2.73 and yes I agree there is a BUNCH left on table with proper tuning.

In fact, my hunch is that new cam, if anything, should have gained tire smoking power down low, a lot in fact, so I would have to guess there are some setup parameters the engine doesn't like.  TPS setting, initial timing, rate, something.  The converter likes the new cam much better less RPM for same cruise. No full WOT bursts until I get tuning correct. With new cam max rpm has been around 4700.  95% or more of driving so far the wife has been with me so anything more than 10% throttle she starts to input braking and steering effects after 27 years her inputs are becoming more meaningful! I keep looking straight ahead and pretend I do not notice and hold back a huge laugh thinking if she only knew how little % throttle that really was . .LOL!

Let me wrap it up that as others said, it's beautiful, I wish you were closer to Nebraska, I'd love to spend a Saturday dialing it in.

Thanks! Really appreciate that!

Just so its clear, I am not blaming the FiTech unit itself. Its the customer service that beyond sucks. I have spent VERY Little time actually tuning.

During GoodGuys a few weeks back and prior the truck started to stall after 25 to 30 min of driving and actually needed to be flat bedded home because the FiTech gave up the ghost turned out when warm the fuel hose from pump with loose clamp would lose pressure and hose got soggy from the fuel. Let it sit for 45 min and it would start then drive a few hundred feet and quit again. Let it sit overnight then when temps were cooler it would drive for near 30 minutes before quitting again. Fixed now replaced G-Surge unit no more issues.

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 30, 2019, 09:59:52 AM »
I'm with Ross.  A session of EFI tuning would most likely be the perfect bow for that beautiful package!

Part-throttle stuff is hard to get right.  Self-learning algorithms just don't seem to get there on higher power packages.  An optimal tune will turn mushy into snappy, with better mpg as a bonus.

As I've said before, that thing is jaw-droppingly gorgeous  8) 8)

Thanks a bunch! It means a lot!

I am finally to the point able to start proper tuning. Yes I have put on quite a few "easy" miles just to get some enjoyment out of truck after 19 yrs of ownership and 11 yrs into the restoration. Every bit of time allowed on truck has been to finish the restoration vs tuning. Little details left like antenna, washer hoses, door access cover plates, brake pedal pad, neutral safety switch and a bit more sanding buffing and the truck will finally be done. Just so much other stuff going on I am sure others know the feeling how "Projects" go, and get put on back burner.

So the last few months very little to no time has been spent on "tuning" but in trying to finish the restoration. The truck drives FANTASTIC, there are NO squeaks or rattles, the braking, steering is excellent and for the most part runs pretty darn good. But now its finally time to tweak the EFI to see what the cam change will do and for peak performance/mpg. Its when I got left on side of road with fuel pump issues I figured it was finally time to replace the camshaft too. Flat bedded home tore it apart to replace camshaft then at same time replaced the G-Surge unit. no more fuel delivery issues.

Trying to get the new software from Fitech and the new hand held turned into a fiasco. I do not like when companies are not truthful and just give the runaround. The OLD handheld was giving me a error message unable to accept the new software but I think I finally have it figured out while waiting for FiTech to help.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 10:06:49 AM by TimeWarpF100 »

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 30, 2019, 10:41:41 AM »