Author Topic: My 427 SOHC Build..... Finally the time has come!  (Read 775915 times)

cobracammer

• View Profile
Re: My 427 SOHC Build..... Finally the time has come!
« Reply #990 on: May 31, 2015, 10:27:28 PM »
Hey Doug. You are correct. It was built by "Antons hot Rod Shop". I have actually been in contact with the builder for some tech tips. He actually ran carbs. Lol. But retained the A/C and the original alternator. Made a custom bracket for the front of the engine for all of that. Also cut and moved the radiator mounts forward 1" about in order to use stock fan and shroud.

Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #991 on: May 31, 2015, 10:56:40 PM »
Here is another similar swap with a Boss. http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/1502-2005-ford-mustang-gt-packin-heat/ I remember reading an article on this one in the magazine. It is pretty cool too. Also, there are a few vids of this one on youtube if you search for it. Both engine swaps are equally fascinating.
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #992 on: June 01, 2015, 09:38:28 AM »
Both engine swaps are equally fascinating.
Indeed
Makes me want to get to my mustang quicker.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #993 on: June 01, 2015, 04:43:25 PM »
have not seen it mentioned but the Kaase Boss 9 2007 Must GT was way cool. Think it ended up bringing only 70k. I almost bought it.

It made just shy of 1000hp

http://www.jonkaaseracingengines.com/html/kaase_boss_nine_589_c_i__2008_gt_mustang.html

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #994 on: June 01, 2015, 06:48:10 PM »
Hey guys. In order to take the car for a drive ( more importantly close the hood) i am going to need to move those toggle switches inside the car. After thinking on it further, really dont want to drill holes in the dash, so did a little "google-ing" and found this panel below. It fits down into the center console where the cup holders are and also has a place for 1 gauge. Going to add oil temperature there. Also was able to contact the company, and he is going to set it up for my toggle switches i have already     ( airplane toggles). And also engrave each spot for me. One will be fan, one will be ignition and 1 will be ECU

When i get it , ill just put my toggles in the 3 holes he made for me

« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 08:10:59 PM by cobracammer »
Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #995 on: June 01, 2015, 07:28:06 PM »
Looks like a nice setup there. Good luck with the test drive, you sure have earned it!  ;)
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #996 on: June 03, 2015, 05:58:36 PM »
Small update since toggle switch panel arrives tomorrow. I decided to install the spark plug tube rubber covers. These are nice pieces!  Unfortunately I wrecked 1, so a replacement is on the way. Below is the pictures:

Jason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #997 on: June 05, 2015, 08:12:25 AM »
Hey Guys.  I have not forgotten ......  I have not driven the car yet so nothing to report.  The thing is, I have no one to come pick me up if I break down.  I obviously need to take the car out of the neighborhood (15 MPH) and since that is further than pushing it home a few street by myself, I have to wait until Family can come down to assist.  They live about 2 hours north, so I am waiting for them to come down so we can take the car up out into the "wild". 

I would try by myself, but if I left the car to call for a flatbed to come pick me up......  those of you who have been in Ft Lauderdale or south to Miami recently know that its no longer a "Nice" place....  I would loose all 4 wheels (at the very least).  When my father and brother come down, I will have one monitoring the handheld while I drive (watching the coolant temp as well as the injector load % to make sure it never gets to 100% (I believe the fuel pressure regulator will need an adjustment if it does).....  and my brother can take the video  LOL

Also, I got my toggle switch panel yesterday from TN.  Its a nice piece, engraved with each toggle function (ECU, Ignition, Fan), and better yet, it comes with a hole for (1) 2-1/16" gauge.  Since we spoke about Oil temperature earlier, I picked up an oil temp gauge with the appropriate sender.  Since my rear sump oil pan as a front oil plug and a rear oil plug for draining oil, I will use the front plug to screw in the sender.

I wanted to ask what the oil temperature should be?  I read online that it roughly is about what the coolant temperature is, but wasn't sure.  What temperature range is good?
Keep you posted.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 01:28:11 PM by cobracammer »
Jason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #998 on: June 05, 2015, 02:30:16 PM »
Also did a little more research on the Power steering / Fan clearance issue.  There have been quite a few people who given the size of turbo's they cram into Mustangs....find themselves looking for more room up front.  From what it seems (the easiest of all the methods I saw, you can just cut of 2 mounting tabs that face the front of the car on the radiator support cross member.  Then extend them a few inches and paint them black again (to avoid corrosion) after you re-weld them back onto the cross member.  this will allow the top of the radiator to remain where it has always been, but move the bottom of the radiator forward toward the front of the car a few inches. (Sort of like how the radiator sits in a Shelby Dayton coupe).  This will allow you to have more room for the fan motors as well as re-install the P/S belt so I will have power steering.

This will be later down the line once I have everything where I want it.... and get bored and start tinkering again.  But at the very least, it would seem like a fairly easy remedy to this issue without a lot of chopping and grafting!

I love the internet!  LOL

In other news, father is heading down on Sunday to take a ride in the car.  This will be the maiden voyage, but at least I will have someone to monitor the computer as well as someone to watch the car (or tow me back with his truck) if need be!
Jason

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #999 on: June 06, 2015, 09:48:08 AM »
Oil temp is generally 10-20 degrees or so above water temp, and generally above 200 consistently.  It doesn't get high unless you work it usually

FWIW my 2013 diesel ran at 195 degrees water temp, 205-208 oil temp for 1400 miles over the past three days at 70-75 mph on cruise with 8000 lbs on the bumper (gross weight just under 16K) :)  FL to NE, never let it slow down!   12-14 mpg for the whole trip, got to love the new diesels

BTW, chicken......the same Visa in your pocket will hire a roll back to get you home for under 100 bucks :)
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: June 06, 2015, 10:32:07 AM »
BTW, chicken......the same Visa in your pocket will hire a roll back to get you home for under 100 bucks :)

Max man points if you go for a test spin sans cell.  ::)

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: June 06, 2015, 08:41:36 PM »
Dad cancelled for tomorrow, so im going out tomorrow by myself!!!  Hopefully all will be good. I spent the whole day today running the wiring into the car ( neatly) so my toggle panel is all set and ready. Also moved the MSD bos to drivers side near brake booster. Now I can close the hood as well as shut the car off quickly with the toggles from inside the car

I head out tomorrow afternoon on my maiden voyage!!!!
Jason

mb198

• View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: June 07, 2015, 08:28:26 AM »
For the past few days I've gone back and read this thread from the beginning. Fascinating.

Thanks for logging it all,

Mark

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: June 07, 2015, 09:05:53 AM »
Good luck Jason!

Small ride around the block, come home, shut it down, make sure it restarts on its own.  Watch the gauges more than the EFI, when you get home look for hanging wires, leaks, etc

A little farther circle, come home again, shut it down.  Try to start it it hot and let it cool and do it again.  If it starts both times, go for a good run, but don't beat it, watch the temp and oil pressure and if it runs decent, don't worry about the EFI. 

If it has oil pressure, stays cool, and restarts every time, it'll get home.  These runs are about engine reliability, temp and oil, NOT final tuning, let the EFI just do its thing if it runs decent

FWIW, when I built my 489 and converted to the TKO-600, I broke in the cam on Friday afternoon, and Sat AM I drove from Yorktown, VA to Danville, VA (220 miles) in the fog and rain to the Shelby meet there.  ZERO road time, but admittedly it was just an engine and tranny build, wedge to boot not SOHC, so not as complicated as yours.

However, after approx 450 miles after returning that night, that engine hasn't missed a beat.
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: June 07, 2015, 01:58:21 PM »
After some issues this morning starting it, i reset the ecu and did a new tune. For some reason, it kept going from 500 rpm to 3000 rpm. After 10 minutes of this, obviously it overheated sitting still in the driveway. 250 degrees and overflowing from degas tank. Went out for a few hours and decided to retry. This time, did a fresh tune, and it was idling at 1000. Decided to drive around the block. Backed out of driveway, put it in first, and got 4 houses down before it shut off. Neighbor helped me turn it around and pish it home.... Where I saw that i left my alternator belt in 3 pieces in the driveway. No idea how 3 pieces. Battery dead now, so im guessing thats why I stalled out 4 houses down?

Either way, a monster even in 1st gear ( for the 1 minute i was driving). Makes the saleen 4.6 modular feel like the 2 ltr subaru!  Lol
Jason