Author Topic: My 427 SOHC Build..... Finally the time has come!  (Read 775926 times)

cobracammer

• View Profile
Re: My 427 SOHC Build..... Finally the time has come!
« Reply #855 on: May 19, 2015, 10:14:39 PM »
I actually did not recalibrate the TPS after adjusting the throttle blades. That actually would account for the extra RPM. Since the computer opens the blades in addition to what I adjusted without knowing it did!  Nice one

Also, dual fans are not kicking on.  Honestly, i really do like the look of these toggles. Feels very race car. I am going to put the fans on toggle so they run constantly seeing howfast this car hit 255 degrees, im sure it will have no problem staying at 180 even with constant fans

I may, just while its up on jack stands, try tightening the head tubes to the collectors... Just to see if I can make them a little more air tight
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 10:19:59 PM by cobracammer »
Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #856 on: May 19, 2015, 10:21:49 PM »
That is going to be such a cool car, you will be kicking yourself for years if you unload it.  Take a break for a while and think about the best way to proceed.  It will be worth it in the end...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #857 on: May 19, 2015, 10:28:40 PM »
Questions

1 - Where do you get the RPM input for the EFI?  Did you use the tach output from the MSD or the neg terminal of the coil?

2 - Did you input how many injectors during setup?  You arent supposed to, just checking instructions

3 - Did you reset the TPS open and close settings when you opened the throttle blades? If not, you need to

4 - Most important.....

Why is this thing overheating so soon?  You need to figure that out first.  Are the fans on?  If yes and maybe airbound, jack the thing up with the nose in the air, turn the heater on, and get the water through it.  You drilled the thermostat earlier right?

Your O2 sensor stuff is good thinking but you need to read the O2 value, don't deduce, and more importantly we need to get it to stop overheating so you can let it run and you can observe

Tach signal comes from the MSD ignition box "tach out" wire

Did not tell the system how many injectors, only selected dual quad on the handheld

Like you said, if I could just get it to idle normal, without the eye burning smoke and the overheating, we could get diagnostic data.....  Lol
Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #858 on: May 20, 2015, 06:06:57 AM »

Like you said, if I could just get it to idle normal, without the eye burning smoke and the overheating, we could get diagnostic data.....  Lol

Good, but to be clear, I am saying to set the TPS, then focus on the cooling.  The EFI may clean up with just the TPS calibration

What triggers the fans?  The EFI or another temp sensor?  I really REALY hate all the toggles, trust me, it's not the quality of the rest of the build you have done so far.  You have seen what happens already when you were shutting the motor down.  The more you have to remember, the more you will forget.

However, I sure as hell would temporarily run a wire to them until I figured out the EFI and have them run all the time if I couldn't figure it out, then you can come back and wire them correctly later

Just to reiterate though, I would park it outside and let it smoke for a little while if it would run cool, the overheating is the immediate problem.  Need to remember the most important thing about big projects...

How do you eat an elephant?.....one bite at a time.  Its not overheating and rich mixture, its overheating, then rich mixture, separate them so you can slow down your decisions and think things through.

Right now I think you are focusing on the EFI, but the cooling needs to be fixed before you do anything

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

2ndgear

• View Profile
« Reply #859 on: May 20, 2015, 07:09:13 AM »

Just my 2 cents, but next time you firer that bad boy up maybe you could put a couple of big box fans in front of car to help cooling while you do some adjusting ?

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #860 on: May 20, 2015, 08:53:53 AM »
Yes I think the toggle will be temporarily placed. I think ( since its a puller set of fans) i have the wiring reversed. I think I need the blue wire to go to the negative and the black wire to go to positive....  However just want to keep it cool like you said so a toggle will help me just during this part

i actually tried box fans, but the saleens radiator is tucked back behind a lot of plastic. Best to just get the toggle to run the fans constantly for now

Also yes I will recalibrate the TPS. Makes complete sense, and the tech did not even mention it. After talking to the tech, i should take note of what he says and then comb back over the instructions to make sure nothing needs to accompany his task. LOL
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 09:21:16 AM by cobracammer »
Jason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #861 on: May 20, 2015, 02:31:11 PM »
Wires reversed on electric fan. I had black going to black and blue going to red. This is how a push fan is wited, but these 2 are pull fans. Blue wire goes to black. Tested it with a jumper wire and both kick on
Jason

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #862 on: May 20, 2015, 02:37:54 PM »
Good, in case you didnt understand the TPS, it is what tells the computer what your foot is asking for.

By not recalibrating after the adjustment, it likely thinks you have your foot on the gas pedal which throws all the normal idle and cold start calibration out of whack.

Have you figured out a way to fill the cooling system?  If you have to, jack the nose of the car up so the fill point is the highest point, you could even loosen the upper rad hose, or whatever hose is pretty high and use it like a bleeder.
Ross
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #863 on: May 20, 2015, 02:56:24 PM »
Yes i have the degas tank tied into lower radiator hose correctly. When the thermostat opens, if it still needs coolant after burping, it will pull from there. Hopefully now with fans running, it wont boil over. I think the fans get their signal from the cylinder head temperature sensor i have adapted into the intake manifold water jacket....  I want to test it........ see if the fans kick on at 180 degrees before i fire the engine. Maybe boil water and bring pot into the garage... With the key in the acc position dip the sensor into boiling water and see if fans kick on?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 03:01:10 PM by cobracammer »
Jason

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #864 on: May 20, 2015, 02:59:09 PM »
Are you using the MSD fan control?
Ross

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #865 on: May 20, 2015, 03:04:29 PM »
No fans are tied into Saleen ECU still since I an using the saleen thermostat housing with saleen thermostat. I have the ( now) correctly wired into the original saleen harness using the stock relay. Also using the saleen cylinder head temp sensor to tell the fans when to kick on. The FAST ecu has its own coolant temp sensor, but it does not control the fans
Jason

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #866 on: May 20, 2015, 03:33:36 PM »
The stock one probably will not work, matter of fact I would be amazed if what you are describing works.  I would think that the original ECM just takes input from the coolant temp sensor and then commands the fan circuit, but without all the normal inputs, it's likely not thinking straight, if at all.  Could be why yours isn't turning on.

The EZ-EFI should have fan control, that is what I would use, but you'll need to be sure there is a relay in line, no matter which setup you use.
Ross

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #867 on: May 20, 2015, 06:09:04 PM »
Agreed. I ordered a relay harness so the FAST ecu will controll the fans. Should avvive next week. Then I have controll over start and stop temps

Thanks
Jason

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #868 on: May 20, 2015, 06:33:03 PM »
Once you get all squared away, you may want to start over with the EFI load by resetting the tune and inputting all your specs.

Although  I doubt the computer did much, if any, learning, sometimes when you have lots of goofy things happen then best thing to do is start over with a control-alt-delete.  You never know what kind of tweaks it made as it read 255 degrees and a very rich condition cobined with low voltage.

A good time to do that would be when you install the fan control.  Reset the FAST (sorry called it MSD before) computer and set all the parameters where you want them, calibrate the TPS, and fire it.

Also, remember that your high idle may be because you opened the throttles too much, don't change it now, but when the fans are running, if its still racing, adjust them lower, recalibrate the TPS and try again
Ross

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #869 on: May 20, 2015, 07:33:35 PM »
Will do. I actually did further reading and you are correct, fans wont work as they currently set up. The CHT sensor I adapted to work on the cammer doesnt even control the fans ( was given this info by a custom hotrod shop). The CHT sensor tells the saleens stock ecu if its getting too hot, and then signals the ecu to shut down fuel injectors until the engine cools. Its not even a fan control sensor

Either way, i ordered a fan relay harness from FAST to allow the efi ecu to control the fans

Actually had a question. The way the saleens radiator /thermostat works is that the water is sitting in the radiator on queue waiting for the thermostat to open so it can be sucked up into the water pump ( thermostat is located inside the lower radiator hose.

Question is, its a 180 degree thermostat.  Do I want the fans to come on at 180?  Or 190? So the thermostat stays open ( above 180) and the fans can cool it ? 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 07:51:38 PM by cobracammer »
Jason