Author Topic: My 427 SOHC Build..... Finally the time has come!  (Read 776030 times)

cobracammer

• View Profile
Re: My 427 SOHC Build..... Finally the time has come!
« Reply #840 on: May 19, 2015, 05:13:01 PM »
Never mind... Just forgot that I have the MSD box on toggle.... Not going to matter is key is shut off. WOW
Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #841 on: May 19, 2015, 05:39:54 PM »
Never mind... Just forgot that I have the MSD box on toggle.... Not going to matter is key is shut off. WOW

LOL

Don't give up yet, we just started talking the lingo, you'll get it. Look in those instructions, somewhere it says for some big inch motors you need to open the throttle blades, just like your hunch says.

However, the one thing you arent remembering is all those parameters a couple posts above, are there to HELP.  When it is running, look at them, they tell a tale.  I'll teach you and you'll discover some, but don't bail when it gets tough
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #842 on: May 19, 2015, 05:46:52 PM »
Honestly I was going to take photos of each screen but the white gas smelling smoke was burning the crap out of my eyes.... And when it was idling at 3000 RPM, i ran to the front of the car to check timing ( which i couldnt see because my eyes were tearing.... And then the upper radiator hose blew and scalded mewith coolant taht the ECU said was 255 degrees

Not fun guys. Not fun. LOL
Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #843 on: May 19, 2015, 05:54:13 PM »
Thats what im talking about when your to much in to something your
not thinking clear. Take time of do something completly different
clear the head
and sudenly out of the blue....  wooow thats the problem why
didnt i think of that. Like the toggle switch now

Muphys law is with us all from time to time. I dont know if you
read my story about me reparing the lawnmower and the hedgehog
attack

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #844 on: May 19, 2015, 06:13:30 PM »
Hahaha. No but its sounds hilarious by title alone.

Any guesses why at 20 degrees BTDC, it hung at 2500 to 3000 RPM?  And from the burning eyes, way too much gas still
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 10:23:13 PM by cobracammer »
Jason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #845 on: May 19, 2015, 06:36:24 PM »
Side thought.... I was thinking about fuel.... And how I think I have too much because my eyes burn from it.... Then it brings me to the 02 sensor... Which tells the ecu if its running lean or rich..... Then I start thinking about the headers I had made and how the are not welded units, but rather 4 individual tubes that are pulled into the collector with bolts and nuts (2 locations)..... And then it made me think, what if these were not air tight?  Wouldnt that tell the 02 sensor its leaner than it really is?  So looking under the car, it seems that there is what looks like soot that came out around this band clamp ( maybe wrong term) juncture

Can someone take a look a few pages back at the headers?  Are these going to be air tight?

If they arent, maybe the computer is being told by the o2 sensor that its lean ( due to exhaust leaks) and adding more fuel?  Hense high RPM at idle and unburnt atomized gas burning my eyes?

Thoughts?
Jason

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #846 on: May 19, 2015, 06:45:50 PM »
To make a long story short.I started early in the morning
to mow the lawn got flat tires tossed belts got wrong belts
several times.I got attacked by a Hedgehog when i was laying
under the mower. Finaly late in the afternoon  when i got
it running the rod desided to escape from the crankcase  ;D ;D

What is controling fast idle with cold engine?Is it adjustabel?
what happens if you adjust down the trottle blades ?
any airleaks?
Regular produktion EFIs have some kind of airvalve that opens
when you coldstart the engine and some kind of fuel enrichment
just like the choke and fast idle on a carb
im only guessing now but your EFI should have something similar
and with the over rich fuel ratio and high idle maby thats the problem
The timing itself should not give you to high idle

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #847 on: May 19, 2015, 06:53:09 PM »
Its possibly on the headers and the O2 sensor and rich fuelratio
But that should not give you the high rpm.Im only guessing again
Other on this forum maby knows better
Regular produktion EFIs dont like leaky exhaustsystems
We have annual inspection on cars in Sweden and
when they test for emissions it indicates an overly rich a/f
Ratio with leaky exhaust
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 06:57:44 PM by Heo »

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #848 on: May 19, 2015, 06:56:09 PM »
Throttle blades had to be cracked manually given the CI of the engine.... This makes the car start now ( wouldnt start before because it was not getting enough air). Possibly a combo of the manual cracking open of the throttle blades mixed with lean signal from 02 sensor..... More air, more fuel higher idle?

Hahahah love that story BTW. Perspective. Lol
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 10:25:00 PM by cobracammer »
Jason

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #849 on: May 19, 2015, 07:05:08 PM »
Hmmmm rich A/F beacuse wrong O2 sensor signal makes you
have to open trotle blades to start...sounds possible

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #850 on: May 19, 2015, 07:08:07 PM »
Have you installed new fuel lines?Maby some metal shavings
have entered the fuel regulator and screw it up?

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #851 on: May 19, 2015, 08:04:22 PM »
Questions

1 - Where do you get the RPM input for the EFI?  Did you use the tach output from the MSD or the neg terminal of the coil?

2 - Did you input how many injectors during setup?  You arent supposed to, just checking instructions

3 - Did you reset the TPS open and close settings when you opened the throttle blades? If not, you need to

4 - Most important.....

Why is this thing overheating so soon?  You need to figure that out first.  Are the fans on?  If yes and maybe airbound, jack the thing up with the nose in the air, turn the heater on, and get the water through it.  You drilled the thermostat earlier right?

Your O2 sensor stuff is good thinking but you need to read the O2 value, don't deduce, and more importantly we need to get it to stop overheating so you can let it run and you can observe

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

rockittsled

• 1976 F-250 390 4v C6
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: May 19, 2015, 08:44:42 PM »
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE DONT SELL IT!!!  As HEO suggested, take a break from the car for a while. It can and will help

Rocci

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #853 on: May 19, 2015, 08:53:43 PM »
Jason, don't throw the towel in yet. You're right at the end of this huge project. You wouldn't happen to have a vacuum hose/line off somewhere? How is the MAP attached in this setup, is it on a throttle body or connected with a vacumm hose? Do you have any close up pics of the throttle bodies?
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #854 on: May 19, 2015, 09:44:13 PM »
Jason don’t give up on it. You think your heart broke now. Go ahead and sell it, then speed the next God know how many years wondering what it would have been like to drive it around!!!

Keep plugging away, you will get it right. Close the door on the garage for a while and let it sit in the dark. A short term separation might be good for you and the car.
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed