Author Topic: My 427 SOHC Build..... Finally the time has come!  (Read 775852 times)

cobracammer

• View Profile
Re: My 427 SOHC Build..... Finally the time has come!
« Reply #210 on: August 19, 2014, 02:39:41 PM »
Also as a side note.... When I installed the Brand new Dampener spacer I for from Survival Motorsports and then started to install the Harmonic Balancer....  I got the Balancer as far as I could get it (actually broke the Balancer install tool), but the snout of the crankshaft was not even with the end of the Balancer....  the balancer is not flush with the crank snout....  I am not sure if that is normal.  Any Ideas?  I am guessing because I have the oil slinger and then the dampener spacer.....  Its not a large difference....  just not completely flush like I was expecting.

Any thoughts?
Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 19, 2014, 05:58:46 PM »
That's a good sign. Below flush by .030 or .040 is what you want. Now if your crank was showing past the damper that would be bad.
Kevin McCullah

lovehamr

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 20, 2014, 01:01:26 PM »
Jason, loving this thread man!

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 20, 2014, 01:43:37 PM »
Have hit a snag.  While lashing the rockers last night, I believe I may have inadvertently bent 3 valves.  Unsure at this point as they also may be stuck in the valve guides from being stored for 3 years.  Unfortunately I am going to have to pull the head off and see what's what.  After I pull the head (maybe tonight) I will take pictures of what I see
Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 20, 2014, 01:49:14 PM »
Just reading that I grunted. :P
Hope for the best.

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 20, 2014, 01:58:40 PM »
Tell Me about it.  :o  So this is the plan.  I actually purchased (back in the day) a whole extra set of valves....  I just had a feeling I would need them.  LOL  Lucky/unlucky me. 
The bigger question is why did they bend to begin with.  So its back to the drawing board as far as checking "Stuff"

The plan is to pull the head and swap out the bent (or hopefully just stuck) valves.  From there, I am going to reinstall the checker spring on Valve 1 and check my timing measurements for the 4th time.  I want to be sure (again) that they are correct.  Also with the checker spring, I can re-check the piston to valve clearance by pushing down on the spring with my finger and using the dial indicator at tactical positions during rotation.

In order to preserve the timing the way its set now, I think I am going to pull off the timing cover so I cam tie wrap the chain to the sprockets and gears so they don't move once I pull the tensioner and passenger side head.  I ordered a new set of gaskets and will just start back over.  Its seriously a pain in the ass, but it has to be done and it cant hurt to quadruple check things ..... Its taken me this long, why not a little longer...
Jason

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 20, 2014, 02:01:58 PM »
Have hit a snag.  While lashing the rockers last night, I believe I may have inadvertently bent 3 valves.  Unsure at this point as they also may be stuck in the valve guides from being stored for 3 years.  Unfortunately I am going to have to pull the head off and see what's what.  After I pull the head (maybe tonight) I will take pictures of what I see

Sigh.....what a drag! Sticky guides maybe? Hopefully no bent valves.  :-\
Kevin McCullah

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 21, 2014, 06:19:55 PM »
OK guys....  took the head off and surprise surprise.....  The intake valve nicked the lip of the cylinder!  Didnt touch the piston and wasnt stuck in the valve guide.....

So, with a little dremmel action and a diamond cone...  this problem will be overcome!  See photos below.  You can see a tiny witness mark on the lip.....  Just barely knicked it.

Jason

lovehamr

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 22, 2014, 07:25:57 AM »
Do the valves still move easily and seal?  Hope so!

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 22, 2014, 07:30:52 AM »
Well that's better than dealing with piston to valve clearance issues. I'm surprised you didn't find this on #1 when you had your checker springs on. Make sure you scallop all 8 cylinders.

Edit: I had to go back and check your bore size. At only .017 over and with aftermarket heads I guess I can say I'm not surprised about your clearance issue. Most new cammers I've read about lately with your heads have much larger bores.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 07:43:19 AM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 22, 2014, 07:37:10 AM »
That's the odd thing.  It doesn't interfere with Cylinder 1!    Only valve that didn't bend is cylinder #1 on the Passenger side.  None had a problem on the driver side.  But in speaking with Jay, I am going to pull the drivers side head and shave those too.  Better safe than sorry.  Sucks because I thought I was almost done!!  I already bought 8qts of Joe Gibbs break in oil and I was getting all excited.  No matter, at the very least, I know I didn't screw up the timing or the lashing  :0)  Small silver lining!

Keep you posted on the progress!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 08:31:51 AM by cobracammer »
Jason

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #221 on: August 22, 2014, 12:19:36 PM »
There can be small variations in the heads and in the bore of the blocks, so that each individual valve may be positioned a little differently with respect to the bore.  I was surprised that you had this issue, and probably wouldn't have checked it myself, but my bores are usually bigger.  Jason, after you get done with the bore relieving put the head on without a gasket, and check for clearance.  If you have clearance with no head gasket, then you should have at least .020" clearance when the gasket is installed.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 22, 2014, 01:58:18 PM »
Will Do.  I have the passenger side head off currently and need to replace the 3 bent valves.  I am also going to pull the drivers side head (since I ordered a whole new set of gaskets for the timing cover) and do all 8 together.  I honestly don't think there is that much interference, so I am not going to cut into it much.... but don't need this to happen on the Dyno, that's for sure.  Going to be a long (HOT ) weekend in that stuffy garage  :0)
Jason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 24, 2014, 09:57:17 PM »
Update. Tried replacing bent valves on passenger side head this weekend, and it would seem i "scuffed" the bronze valve guides. Had the bring the head to the machine shop so they could hone the guides on intakes 2,3 and 4

While this is being done, i took off the timing cover, tensioners, backing plate and dampener spacer. All have been cleaned of old gasket material and sealant. I then spent about 1 hour taping up any openings in the block with painters tape for the cylinder notching process

With the head gaskets on, i used a blue magic marker to mark the cylinder lip. This was done to make sure i didnt notch too far. Then using a rotary tool and a diamond grit cone bit, i notched the lip of the cylinder where VC was needed. No contact on drivers side previous, but this was done as insurance

After, cylinders were cleaned for any debris until the oiled rag stayed clean. Rest of blocked re cleaned just to be safe before and after tape was removed. Head gasket, head and cam were reinstalled. Next will be passenger side. What did surprise me is how little area there is to notch. But i guess the original interference wasnt than much. There is no scarrier feeling than not being 100% sure when maching your $5,000 block LOL. But i must say so far so good. Hard to see in photo, but here is the notch in 1 example:

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 03:18:58 PM by cobracammer »
Jason

jmlay

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 25, 2014, 06:47:00 AM »
Before you cut did you stuff the cylinder to prevent debris from getting down in the between the piston, top ring & cylinder wall? That crevice would be impossible to clean without removing the piston from the block. Flipping it upside down while cutting might no be a bad idea either. There is allot of time, effort & $ in your build to rebuild because it was not internally clean before firing.
Mike