Author Topic: Upgrades to my R-code Mach 1...  (Read 43226 times)

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
Re: Upgrades to my R-code Mach 1...
« Reply #90 on: April 19, 2019, 05:04:05 PM »
You've been busy.

Nice work Doug.
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

Tommy A

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 19, 2019, 05:32:41 PM »
Doug, looks great!!!  If I might ask what did you use for underlamit under the carpet, I still need to buy some for my project car and just wondered.. thanks.........Tom

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 19, 2019, 06:46:12 PM »
Lookin' good, Doug! Are you going to run a Gear Vendor in it also?

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 19, 2019, 07:26:43 PM »
Doug you are going to love that shifter, you can’t miss now!!. Is the tranny the kind that pops out of gear if you get off the gas. I’m having a senior moment syncroless. Oh ya Doug you got 5 days.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 07:32:16 PM by Stangman »

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 20, 2019, 01:01:41 AM »
Doug, looks great!!!  If I might ask what did you use for underlamit under the carpet, I still need to buy some for my project car and just wondered.. thanks.........Tom

Tom, to be honest, I don't remember where I got the sound deadener, that was about 20 years ago. I'd probably use Dynamat or something similar now. The stuff I have is heavy matting, and it adds a lot of weight, but I like the 'solid' feel that it gives the car. I have it in the rear, in the doors and on the roof also. I even have some under the front fender tops, to keep rocks from denting the top sides of the fenders from underneath. The carpet has the heavy jute backing also.

Lookin' good, Doug! Are you going to run a Gear Vendor in it also?

Alan, I have the Gear Vendors with the correct tail adapter for the Jerico, just waiting to go in, but I didn't have the time to install it right now. I plan on doing that when it all comes back apart later this summer.

Doug you are going to love that shifter, you can’t miss now!!. Is the tranny the kind that pops out of gear if you get off the gas. I’m having a senior moment syncroless. Oh ya Doug you got 5 days.

Joe, it's a 'clutch assisted' trans, so it stays in gear when you decelerate. It doesn't have synchros, but a small back-cut on the dogs that allows it to catch when you get off the gas. I want to keep it streetable, and a clutchless certainly doesn't fit that bill.

Here you can see the beveled dogs for engagement, but with a small back-cut to catch on deceleration.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 20, 2019, 06:06:57 AM »
Looking good Doug,  Have you welded in the cage yet?

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2019, 10:48:21 AM »
Heo, no, the roll bar will have to wait till later this summer when I pull the drivetrain back out for the new engine. I'll have to pull the entire interior out for the installation. With only 4 days left to work on it till I leave for the Reunion, time is short right now. Haven't even touched the truck or trailer yet.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 20, 2019, 04:59:12 PM »
Hah sleeping are for old men ;D. I cringe when i see you building
a race car out of your Mustang. And thinking about the rusty hulks
i helped peoples restore back to original in the 80s. But i see your point
you are building it in to what you want to have and thats what one should
do.  Good luck at the reunion How fast can you run without rollbar?

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2019, 05:34:53 PM »
Hah sleeping are for old men ;D. I cringe when i see you building
a race car out of your Mustang. And thinking about the rusty hulks
i helped peoples restore back to original in the 80s. But i see your point
you are building it in to what you want to have and thats what one should
do.  Good luck at the reunion How fast can you run without rollbar?

You know what they say, Heo, anybody can restore a car.  It takes a real man to cut one up!  ;D ;D

All kidding aside, in my book, Doug has made his car more valuable with those modifications.  Kudos to you Doug, your car is WAY cooler now...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 20, 2019, 06:35:53 PM »
Jay, yes a stock mustang is like.....the other stock mustangs i guess

At least more valuable to Doug, and he is the owner. Its like with stocks
you dont win or loose before you sell them

Its just that i cut out cages repaired trans tunnels after shifters and
clutch explosions put back springtowers  and rear wheelwell openings ;D ;D
and ground of a whole lot of that damned flake paintworks or Tivoli paint
as dad called it
There is still flakes in his  garage 30 years later ;D ;D
So Doug now we are waiting for the flakejob and a sunrice mural on the trunk
and snakes... alot of snakes ;) ;D ;D

P.S And i rode im Dougs Mustang its like a new car D.S
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 07:01:03 PM by Heo »

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 20, 2019, 08:43:42 PM »
The car is more valuable to me, because I'm really having fun with it. I fretted about cutting on it for many years, but that passed when a great friend of mine passed away. That was the guy who I bought the car off of when I was 15, and he was a big influence on me when I was a kid. He was a big Ford nut who had a couple of cool cars, including a '71 Boss 351, and a pretty wicked Cleveland powered '71 Torino, both 4 spd cars. He sold me the car for $250 when he decided to move to Florida. At that point the car was in pieces and had no drivetrain. He had lots of health issues over the years and lost a leg several years ago. He really struggled after that. I had the joy of giving him a ride in the Mustang a few years ago, and then he died from a heart attack a few months later. He was a HUGE drag racing fan, and I did a burnout after his funeral, which upset a few people, but his family and close friends thought it was the best tribute to him ever, knowing that it was the car that he "let get away". He was only 5 years older than me, and I decided then that I wasn't going to fret about it any more; I wanted to enjoy the car and have some fun with it.
RIP Jim Dearth.

Heo, the shifter hole is really the only thing that would require some work to put back, except for the welded in subframe connectors I guess, but those really help the car even in stock form. I thought about cutting back the shock towers, but I won't go that far, I just deal with it being somewhat of a PITA to change plugs..lol  There are so many stock Mustangs out there, I don't think the world will miss just one  ;)  And I can tell you I won't give a damn about value when I'm gone from this Earth, which is the only time this car will leave my hands ;D  After that, my Son can worry about it  ;D
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

rcodecj

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2019, 10:35:49 PM »
The car is more valuable to me, because I'm really having fun with it. I fretted about cutting on it for many years, but that passed when a great friend of mine passed away. That was the guy who I bought the car off of when I was 15, and he was a big influence on me when I was a kid. He was a big Ford nut who had a couple of cool cars, including a '71 Boss 351, and a pretty wicked Cleveland powered '71 Torino, both 4 spd cars. He sold me the car for $250 when he decided to move to Florida. At that point the car was in pieces and had no drivetrain. He had lots of health issues over the years and lost a leg several years ago. He really struggled after that. I had the joy of giving him a ride in the Mustang a few years ago, and then he died from a heart attack a few months later. He was a HUGE drag racing fan, and I did a burnout after his funeral, which upset a few people, but his family and close friends thought it was the best tribute to him ever, knowing that it was the car that he "let get away". He was only 5 years older than me, and I decided then that I wasn't going to fret about it any more; I wanted to enjoy the car and have some fun with it.
RIP Jim Dearth.

Heo, the shifter hole is really the only thing that would require some work to put back, except for the welded in subframe connectors I guess, but those really help the car even in stock form. I thought about cutting back the shock towers, but I won't go that far, I just deal with it being somewhat of a PITA to change plugs..lol  There are so many stock Mustangs out there, I don't think the world will miss just one  ;)  And I can tell you I won't give a damn about value when I'm gone from this Earth, which is the only time this car will leave my hands ;D  After that, my Son can worry about it  ;D

I wish this site would allow me to give this post a like. So thumbs up I guess.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 21, 2019, 07:24:46 AM »
Doug, dont get me wrong i like what you do with it. And i have
never looked at  a car for its expected future value ,I came out loosing
everytime i sold anything anyway ;D

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 21, 2019, 10:49:53 AM »
Doug your doing just fine, and car is coming out great. Hey I love the look of the chromed steel wheels on that mustang. Was that yours. My dad had those on his GTO.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 21, 2019, 12:49:35 PM »
Just got back from the first test drive, and all I can say is.....holy crap, I love it!! It changed the whole attitude of the car when getting on it! I should have went to a Long shifter a long time ago. I could tell right away that the car really likes the 3.19 first gear, and that should really help me cut my lousy 60' times down. Easy cruising shifts will take a bit of practice, but I didn't have any issues doing it, and it didn't clank bad at all, at least not like I was expecting. If it wasn't for the fact that Beaver Springs is uphill, I'd be really disappointed if I didn't hit the 11's now, but as it is, I really have no idea how it will affect my ET's.

Heo, I know you didn't mean anything negative about it. No worries. You need to come for a visit again so I can take you for another ride. The car still feels solid and tight, with no rattles. :)

Joe, no that's not my car, although I wish it was. Apparently those loooong ladder bars and extended spring shackles work..lol
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe