Author Topic: Upgrades to my R-code Mach 1...  (Read 43189 times)

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Upgrades to my R-code Mach 1...
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 09:13:31 PM »
Finally got the engine done and some dyno figures so figured I'd share them and show some progress on the car.

The compression ended up being 10.53 and the best figures came in at 42* degrees timing. That surprised me a bit compared to what I ran on my other engine which also had MR heads and a Ford MR intake and BJ/BK carbs. It was very similar to this one but the cam is much more aggressive in this engine. Idle seemed to come in at about 900-950. It's a good thing it's a 4 speed with 3.89 gears. I'd like to change out to 4.11s but that will have to wait until I can add the Gear Vendors overdrive unit sometime in the next year or two.

Here's the dyno chart and figures. It was actually still climbing at 6000 but not by much, so running it farther was something I didn't want to do since I wasn't able to go with the 2.2 chevy journal size on the factory cross drilled steel crank. Still, with a bit of race gas and the timing at 42, it should go to 6500 pretty cleanly. For the street I'll drop it back to about 40* to stay on the safe side. I have the intake and distributor marked so it's just a matter of lining up the marks.

You can see the cam doesn't really come in till about 3500. The big drop in torque before that was likely due to having to tie the secondaries open on the dyno. You can see the engine was really rich till about 4000 where it could actually use the secondaries. I'll have to tune for that in the car.

Here's a couple shots of the Oregon Cams shaft support system that's on this engine.

I got it home and did some detailing on it and went to put an ATI Super Damper on it and of course the timing is off by 7 degrees, which is a known problem. So I ground the timing pointer to match TDC. Here's a couple shots of the engine and timing adjustment. The angle is off compared to how I'd be looking at it in the car, so it looks like the timing is off a bit.

I got the new Ram flywheel and Ram Power Grip HD clutch installed and the Lakewood bell put back on and got it put back in the car. After getting everything hooked back up I tried the clutch and the pedal feel is not as bad as I expected it to be. In fact it's about the same as the stock clutch in my '09 GT Mustang, which I always thought felt pretty stiff for a factory clutch. I'm used to it, so this one shouldn't be a problem for me. Everything worked real smooth.

When I did the car 12 years ago, I knew the factory MR heads were going to be a tight fit since they don't have the 16 bolt pattern. To help accommodate the heads, I took a rose bud torch head and a 4x4 block of hardwood and a BIG sledge and heated the factory R code shock tower braces cherry red and beat them back against the shock towers. They stuck out a ways from the factory and would have been tight even with the CJ exhaust pattern. It's a darn good thing I had the foresight to do this or they would NOT have fit. As it is now, they "nibble" at the braces, but I can live with that. You can see in these shots where the previous engine kept nibbling at them, but they fit!! ;D ;D

So I've been working pretty steadily the last couple weeks to get things back together. I'm pretty slow at this because I'm too darn picky about stuff on this car ::) I wouldn't normally have to have everything perfect, but I've had this thing since I was 15 and it's always been my dream car since I was a kid, so I tend to go overboard on everything. Here's some shots of the progress as I cleaned and installed everything. I repainted a few things because of the previously mentioned "affliction"...lol

I ditched the Flowmaster 40s that I had on it before because they droned REALLY bad in the car at about 2000-4000 rpm, right where you drive. You couldn't hardly hear anything....except car alarms going off when you drove by ;D ;D
I got a set of Borla Pro XS mufflers which are all stainless and will match my stainless exhaust pretty good. I did a lot of research and listened to a lot of sound samples to choose these. I also have a set of Borlas on my GT Mustang and I really like them, so I know they don't drone and have a really nice tone at any cruise speed but really open up when you get on the throttle without having that nasty rapping sound common with headers and glasspacks. I think that I'm going to like these on this car with the Hooker headers! The car definitely makes an impression on people when it fires up :)

I'm going to try something different with the tailpipes this time. I wasn't happy how they were before with the staggered shock set-up. It gets REALLY tight over the axle and you have to make some sharp bends.

I was also having a problem figuring out how to keep my original oil pressure sending unit and still add my Autometer mechanical  gauge. There just wasn't enough room to add a T fitting without some cobbled connectors which I really didn't like.

And then I had a "DUH" moment. While laying under the car it struck me that the sideoiler galley plugs were the same size as the fitting I needed, so I just took the front one out and ran my braided line directly into the first port. Why I didn't think of that before I don't know ::)  It left just enough room to clear the motor mount with about 1/2" to spare and worked out perfectly.

Tonight I got the front of the engine finished up, radiator, fan, hoses etc hooked up, so I'm ready to put water in it and finish the hookups on the engine and it should be ready to fire. I'm hoping to get it running this weekend. I'll post more when I do. I'm really anxious to get this thing back on the ground and see how it's going to sit and look with the new springs and wheels.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 08:35:19 PM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 09:50:02 PM »
Looks great, Doug, that engine should move that car right along.  Post a video when you get it fired up.  I'm hoping to do the same with my Drag Week car this weekend...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

65er

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 10:45:44 PM »
Dang Doug, the bottom of your car is nicer than the top of mine!  Outstanding  :)
-Wade

458" Blair Partick stroker/TKO 600 .64 OD/3.89 gears

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 06:21:20 AM »
Looks great Doug!  Sounds like a rowdy build

You will love those Borlas, at first you may think they are too quiet, but truth is, they bark like hell, you just don't hear the reverb inside.  With no other changes, my car "felt" faster too, but hard to tell if it really helped, seemed to though
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 06:43:51 AM »
Very nice! Your write-up and pics could be a great model for others wanting to post their builds.  :)
Bob Maag

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 07:25:39 AM »
Post a video when you get it fired up.  I'm hoping to do the same with my Drag Week car this weekend...

Jay, I'll do that, but my car will sound like a Chihuahua compared to your wolf  :)

Dang Doug, the bottom of your car is nicer than the top of mine!  Outstanding  :)

Wade, Things just kind of get out of hand when I do something. ::)

Looks great Doug!  Sounds like a rowdy build

You will love those Borlas, at first you may think they are too quiet, but truth is, they bark like hell, you just don't hear the reverb inside.  With no other changes, my car "felt" faster too, but hard to tell if it really helped, seemed to though

Ross, it is a bit rowdy. I thought the Borlas were real quiet on my GT until I had my son drive it. I told him to get on it a little while I stood and watched. I was surprised at just how loud they were. You're right, you really can't tell from inside. And Borlas actually flow better than most of the other brands. A lot better than Flowmasters anyway. They really make a nice product. I'm sold on them and really anxious to try these out!

Very nice! Your write-up and pics could be a great model for others wanting to post their builds.  :)

Bob, I have a few friends with restored Mustangs and muscle cars, but they're all stock and not really into the performance aspect, so you guys are the only ones who "understand", so to speak...lol
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 07:29:18 AM »
Looking Great Doug!

I know it's your baby and a real R car and all, but if was moi I would seriously consider a D shaft loop or two.
You know just in case.
Plus your going to need them when you put some real tires on it. ::)

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 07:44:08 AM »
Beautiful car Doug.
Love to see a vid of the start up also.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

fastback 427

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 08:31:40 AM »
That car is ridiculously clean! Glad to see you finally get your engine back. Kinda weird seeing blue heads on a build these days, with all the aluminium flying around! Hopefully all goes well for you with no troubles. Maybe the FE Race and Reunion will happen this time around.
Jaime
67 fastback 427 center oiler 428 crank Dove aluminum
top end toploader
67 fairlane gta cross bolted 12:1 390 Dove aluminum top end c6 3600 stall
65 falcon straight axle project
67 mustang coupe project
76 f350 dually 390 mirror 105 4bbl 4spd
74 f100 xlt 390 c6 factory ac

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2014, 10:37:51 AM »
Looking Great Doug!

I know it's your baby and a real R car and all, but if was moi I would seriously consider a D shaft loop or two.
You know just in case.
Plus your going to need them when you put some real tires on it. ::)

Howie, it's already in the works. I'll be coming off the seat bolts with threaded spacers and make a cross brace for the loop. That way no holes are drilled. I have a custom drive shaft with 1350 U-joints but it's not going on the track till the loop is done.

And I agree, fastback, you don't see iron heads on performance builds much anymore. I try to keep this old-school so I'll even ditch the March pulleys soon. The only new tech stuff left then will be the MSD and Autometer tachometer, but I'll keep them for obvious reasons. Having an adjustable rev limiter and shift light with recall is really nice.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

lovehamr

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2014, 08:10:30 AM »
Doug, as others have said the car is stunning!  For me it's also a trip into the past because I had aluminum slots on my first car as well and it was a 70 Mustang.  So I dig the look.  Can't wait to hear it start up through those Borla muffs.

Steve

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2014, 01:35:47 AM »
Finally getting around to posting after a busy couple of weeks. I got the engine in and hooked up without much fuss, filled the filter, cooler and engine with 10 quarts of 15w-40 Rotella, hit the switch and it fired off after just a couple turns.....only to get a loud tinny metal to metal sound. It's amazing how fast you can go from a high to a big low. Talk about a sinking feeling! :( After shutting it off right away I cautiously restarted it several times for about 10 seconds at a time to figure out where the noise was coming from. After narrowing it down to the bellhousing area I felt a LITTLE better that at least it wasn't something in the engine.

I thought it might have been the starter not disengaging, although I wasn't overly optimistic of that being the case because the sound wasn't right, but I took it out anyway. It wasn't the issue, but I did find an issue with the new PowerMaster starter. All Ford starters that I've seen are lightly clearanced on the lower portion of the snout to clear the flywheel, this one wasn't and I  could see where the ring gear was chewing at it.

So after a couple minutes with my die grinder I  made the necessary clearance and put it back in, but the sound was still there. I knew the transmission had to come back out then, so I pulled everything back apart and took it out. It didn't take too long to find the culprit. Evidently the new Ram pressure plate was a little taller than my old one and the bolts and rivet head were just lightly making contact with my throwout arm. Of course being inside the bellhousing made it sound much louder, and more deadly ::) Here's a shot showing the light contact that was happening. Luckily it didn't hurt anything on the pressure plate.

After some advice from DaleP, I realized the factory welded in 1/4" spacer between the Lakewood bell and throwout arm clip could be removed and would give me the space back that I needed. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get the bell out without pulling the engine and that was something that didn't thrill me very much, but to my surprise I was able to remove it without even loosening my headers! That was a big relief! I got the cutoff wheel, chisel and grinder out and had it removed in about 20 minutes. One thing's for sure, they call these things "bells" for a reason, they resonate like CRAZY when struck! The first time I took the chisel and whacked it with a hammer to break it free after cutting the welds, it rang MY bell! I have an actual antique 20" cast dinner bell and this thing was MUCH louder.

So anyway, after getting it all back together I fired it back up this morning and played with the carbs to get the best idle I could. The oil pressure comes up right away, but when it's warm it only has 25lbs at idle. I like to have more than that, but it immediately comes up with the rpms and goes up to about 70, so I think it's livable. It idles at 850-900 consistently, which isn't bad considering the 264@.050 cam. I wondered how the clutch would act taking off with the lopey idle at that low of an RPM, but to my surprise it was VERY smooth and required hardly any throttle to get it moving. I did a few up and downs in the driveway to test it out and was pretty impressed at how smooth it was. Pedal feel isn't bad either, to me anyway, so I'm pretty happy with that.

I had a few friends stop out and they all loved how it sounded with the Borlas, and I have to say that I'm every bit as happy with the sound as I hoped I would be. I still need to make my tailpipes, so that will mellow it a bit more, but it sounds pretty wicked if you ask me. An old friend who has always been a Ford nut and really got me into performance cars when I was a kid stopped out and he just had a big grin on his face listening to it. And since he's the guy I originally bought this car off of when I was 15 (my first car purchase), that made me pretty happy also. :)

I topped it off with one more addition....

Here's a little video of a startup and some of the exhaust note. I need to get a better video, but you get the idea.

http://youtu.be/ui75pAVo6h8

Now I just need to get the hood back on, the front aligned, finish the tailpipes and finish a couple of other minor jobs and it will be ready to roll. Hopefully I'll have it on the road by next weekend.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 08:36:45 PM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2014, 08:26:53 AM »
It looks and sounds great.  8)
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2014, 08:46:28 AM »
Doug,
Very nice job!  Good wheel choice too.  I'm going to look into those Borlas for the Galaxie... Not at all happy with the Flowmasters on there now.

Thanks for posting!

Bruce
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2014, 08:57:37 AM »
Very nice Doug.
Liking the Borlas also.
Would you clear up the interference deal for me?
Is that an aftermarket bell housing deal?
Or more specifically a Lakewood deal?
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon