Author Topic: Weight savings part deux: "Feline Diet"  (Read 4017 times)

plovett

Weight savings part deux: "Feline Diet"
« on: April 15, 2021, 01:53:31 PM »
The Mustang thread on weight savings got my neurons sparking, well at least smoldering.  I didn't want to hijack so......

I have a '67 Cougar.  Been running a 428 FE.  It's in the middle of a new engine build.   Not much for me to do now except brainstorm (brain drizzle?).

My car, though never been weighed, is pretty light.  It's an original 6.5 Litre car with C6.   I removed the power steering, power brakes, carpet, sound deadening, headliner, radio, console, and rear seat.   It has aluminum heads, intake, and water pump.  I removed the headlight doors and all the associated hardware.  No coolant catch can.  No window washer.   I keep the trunk close to empty most of the time.  Just a bottle jack and 14" aluminum wheel/spare tire.  I have light Weld Racing wheels at all 4 corners, 15x8 on back and 15x6 up front. 

The exhaust is headers with steel pipes dumping in front of the axle.  Still has a factory replacement brass radiator.  I have heavy 6 leaf springs.  I have factory front discs and factory rear drums.  It has subframe connectors welded in.

What would be my best bet for losing more weight?   Composite leaf springs?  Brakes?

How about fiberglass fenders and hood?   http://www.usbody.com/Pages_Cars/67-Cougar.htm  Anybody know about how much the fiberglass will save?

thanks

paul

« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 01:55:15 PM by plovett »

Joey120373

• View Profile
Re: Weight savings part deux: "Feline Diet"
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 02:18:43 PM »
They are not cheap, but the smaller ones are at least within reason, try a lithium or life-po4 battery.
I have them in my motorcycle and 4 wheeler ( of course those are much smaller batteries ) .
They weigh a lot less and, at least in my toys, pay for themselves because they last so much longer.

And on that same thread, a small, lightweight alternator and starter?

winr1

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 07:31:16 PM »
Fiberglass hood on my 65 F100 would save around 50 lbs ..cant remember what a mustang hood weighs

The 65 hood also went up from 500 to 700 !!

Ricky.

plovett

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 07:42:19 PM »

The 65 hood also went up from 500 to 700 !!

Ricky.

What is that referring to?

plovett

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 07:45:20 PM »
They are not cheap, but the smaller ones are at least within reason, try a lithium or life-po4 battery.
I have them in my motorcycle and 4 wheeler ( of course those are much smaller batteries ) .
They weigh a lot less and, at least in my toys, pay for themselves because they last so much longer.

And on that same thread, a small, lightweight alternator and starter?

A light battery is a good idea.  I do have mine over my passenger side rear wheel though, so the weight is doing some good, there.

I have an old Tilton mini starter.   

I hadn't thought of a light weight alternator.   Any idea what a good one would be and about how much it weighs?

thanks,

paul

winr1

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 07:50:16 PM »
Sorry ..... talked to a Lady at US Body ..fiberglass hood for my 65 F100 was $500.00 last year

1 year to deliver, $300.00 to ship

IIRC, she said they make them and not stock them

There website shows $700.00 now

Cougar/Mustang stuff may be in stock as probably move quicker

Ricky.

plovett

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 07:58:12 PM »
Sorry ..... talked to a Lady at US Body ..fiberglass hood for my 65 F100 was $500.00 last year

1 year to deliver, $300.00 to ship

IIRC, she said they make them and not stock them

There website shows $700.00 now

Cougar/Mustang stuff may be in stock as probably move quicker

Ricky.

Ah,  I see now.   Yes, the shipping on big fiberglass parts is a killer.

Thanks,

paulie

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2021, 08:04:28 PM »
lexan windows. Remove all window lift mechanisms,heater box, replace stock seats with shell buckets,outside mirrows unless required.
Radio if you can live with out one.
Just a few quick thoughts.
Greg

plovett

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2021, 08:14:19 PM »
lexan windows. Remove all window lift mechanisms,heater box, replace stock seats with shell buckets,outside mirrows unless required.
Radio if you can live with out one.
Just a few quick thoughts.
Greg

The radio is already gone.   I have light plastic bucket seats to put in.   

I like the idea of lexan side windows with a strap to pull them up and down.   

Thanks,

paulie

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2021, 09:08:26 PM »
It’s been brought up, but there’s a guy on YouTube, does a lot of mopar stuff, uncle (Tony, Greg? Guss?)
Built up a slant 6 and put it in a small car that he basically Swiss cheesed. Stripped the interior, shaved weight off the motor, kept the light weight and “ week “ trans and rear end.
Got the car down to 2100 pounds or so.
All of it “ on the cheep “ . Really neat car, the video where he fires up the slant 6 is worth watching just to hear the engine. I’ve never heard an old school slant 6 sound like that.

The holes he drilled basically everywhere but the cabin, neat to see, hood hinges, control arms.
Think that car would be a riot to drive, and it’s a slant 6.

As far as alternators, on the cheep, a hitachi or such small import. Been out of the mechanic-ing game for too long, but I think, IIRC, older Honda’s ( civics?) had a nice little alt. Brushes and regulator could be swapped out on the car, popped right off the back. There are aftermarket companies that advertise mini ~ 40 amp alts that weigh like 12 pound or so? On an older car with not much electronics that should be plenty.

How about plastic headlights? The kind used to adapt from a sealed beam to an H11 type bulb, probly a few pounds there easy and a nice upgrade.

allrightmike

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 10:59:38 AM »
   Since brass & copper weigh about 1 1/2 times that of steel. I would think an aluminum radiator would be a good deal lighter. And right off the front wheels.

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2021, 02:53:51 PM »
Calvert mono leaf springs in the back would save some weight.  Cut the death out of the front coil spring covers in the fenderwell so they are just a skeleton.  Ditch the sway bar, or the skinniest one available if you are going straight line.  Aluminum radiator, as mentioned. I'm guessing the heater is already gone.

Mike
"That guy has got a pocket full of money and a watch full of time!"   Hubert Platt.

plovett

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2021, 03:18:24 PM »
Calvert mono leaf springs in the back would save some weight.  Cut the death out of the front coil spring covers in the fenderwell so they are just a skeleton.  Ditch the sway bar, or the skinniest one available if you are going straight line.  Aluminum radiator, as mentioned. I'm guessing the heater is already gone.

Mike

Sway bar is gone.  I forgot to mention that.  I still have the heater as I drive it in Kansas winters.  I think I will add the aluminum radiator.  I'm going to look at the coil spring covers now.

Thanks for the ideas!   Keep 'em coming please.

paul

plovett

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2021, 03:20:37 PM »
Oh yeah, I removed the sun visors too.   ;D

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2021, 03:46:38 PM »
Dump the door panels, they weigh a lot. Drill 1 inch holes in the metal [all over the metal] under the panels and then cover with the thinnest piece of alunimun you can find.
Ditch the headliner and any other trim you can. You will be amazed at what it weighs with the carpet.
Get rid of the inner fender wells-you won't need them. If you are not driving in the rain which is hard to do get rid of windshield wipers and mechanism.
Get rid of the grill they weigh a lot and are not required.
Greg