Author Topic: Crites headers  (Read 6670 times)

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
Crites headers
« on: November 24, 2020, 07:06:36 PM »
If anyone happens to be in the market for a set of FE headers......you are SOL til spring.

I was going to try to fix mine, but said screw it and was going to order new ones.  Ha!!!  Made the call and was told not til spring.  Seems they are onto building small block orders now and won't get back to BB til spring time.  They took my number to call when that time gets here.

Looks like I will be fixing my old ones for now.  Might build the front tubes from stainless for now, the rear tubes are still useable.
Larry

AlanCasida

• View Profile
Re: Crites headers
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 08:44:09 PM »
Does Crites make their headers in house? Mad Dog Headers makes headers similar to Crites but I seem to recall that maybe they are Crites' supplier.

http://maddogheaders.net/products/ford

427mach1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 10:45:16 PM »
Does Crites make their headers in house? Mad Dog Headers makes headers similar to Crites but I seem to recall that maybe they are Crites' supplier.

http://maddogheaders.net/products/ford

I've heard that, too.  Regardless, Mad Dog Headers are supposed to be pretty good....  Might want to check with them on availability.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 11:10:21 AM »
  +1 on Mad Dog . 99% sure he makes them for Crites.

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 06:31:28 PM »
I’ve Mad Dog headers on my ‘63. They were very easy to deal with, even from where I live. Big difference compared to Crites.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 08:15:32 PM »
Guess maybe I will make a call and see what they have in stock. 

Thanks.
Larry

manofmerc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2020, 05:21:57 AM »
I really hate seeing this post it makes me feel worse now .I ordered a set of headers for my 67 comet in September .I was told they would be ready in Oct. It will soon be Dec. no headers .Crites makes their own headers mad dog is their own company .I also called mad dog (they are in Ga.like me )lady said we plan to discontinue the headers you need but let me talk to our header guy .I called again not even a call back. I really wish the big header companies would do something for us ford guys but it just wont happen .My present headers are ok just a bit to rusty and getting thin in places .My problem is no one else makes headers for a comet with 460 power . So I will continue to wait .I wanted to pull my trans. and inspect it and upon installation install my new headers .I don't think so now ,Happy thanksgiving ! Doug

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 04:00:34 PM »
  Doug ,
     I may have a set of new 460/66-69 Fairlane - Comet headers. I bought them from Total Performance in MI and am not using them. Where are you located? I'm in So Cal and shipping could be a bit pricey. PM if interested,
   Randy

manofmerc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2020, 03:25:17 AM »
why don't you seed me a pm with your price just in case  .I don't have much confidence in Crites.Sadly I doubt they will get my money back to me any quicker .I want to inspect my c-6 and go back with the new headers at the same time .It doesn't look like that will be happening .Doug

manofmerc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2020, 04:59:05 AM »
Well I guess santa has been busy my headers arrived this week three months after my initial contact with Crites .I found what was in  my  transmission pan it was a piece of cast iron about the size of a pencil lead .Come to find the beveled forward clutch pressure plate had cracked .Lots of work to do now those headers never really fit lot of beating and banging in my future at least I have a good selection of hammers ! Merry Christmas Doug :)

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2020, 12:48:53 PM »
Glad to hear you got your headers.  I guess the galaxie headers are better, I've never had to touch mine. 
Larry

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2020, 01:42:37 PM »
Well I guess santa has been busy my headers arrived this week three months after my initial contact with Crites .I found what was in  my  transmission pan it was a piece of cast iron about the size of a pencil lead .Come to find the beveled forward clutch pressure plate had cracked .Lots of work to do now those headers never really fit lot of beating and banging in my future at least I have a good selection of hammers ! Merry Christmas Doug :)
While you are into the forward clutch replace the Belville spring. That is the spring that works against the pressure plate. Also while you are in there check your clutch clearances, if there is too much clearance the spring will fatigue and crack. Aim for the low to middle clearance spec. 

manofmerc

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2020, 03:36:09 AM »
RJP my clearance was at .046 and my spring looked ok .I am using a Merkl trans brake .On my first pass with it I busted my forward drum this was a couple years ago .Mr.Merkl will tell you to put a wave plate in or upgrade to a steel forward drum that wont break .Well my steel drum  hasn't gave any trouble just this pressure plate it has 4-5 years on it .Whenever you get your valve body you get a dyno sheet mine says 195 psi that is probably why this broke .Doug

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2020, 02:19:11 PM »
Doug, I wasn't sure if you knew your way around a C6. It appears you do so there is not much more I can add.

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2020, 10:27:54 PM »
You might try Jay Bittle headers out in CA for a set to fit your FE.  JBA headers.  You just might get lucky.  REF headers also.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500