Author Topic: Crites headers  (Read 6699 times)

manofmerc

• View Profile
Re: Crites headers
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2020, 04:54:23 AM »
Joe I have the other big block in my comet.It is a 460 with AFR heads that have a 3/8 raised exhaust port .These headers aren't so hard to install but #7 at the steering box is tight #8 at the pitman arm the rest will just need some tweeks.I am afraid one day I wont be able to get any headers for my combo. Crites is the only source .I might hold onto my old rusty ones .Doug

mtburger

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2020, 10:46:53 AM »
I have been following this thread and I would like to add some info.

I have been told that Tubular Automotive here in Rockland, MA (was called Tuby Dick's forever) was at one time was a supplier to Crites for their 429/460 swap headers into the 66-69 Fairlane / Falcon chassis.

I believe they were the first to produce that slip fit header application, and that their original design has been copied and manufactured by several other companies since they brought it to market in the early 70's.

They were, and continue to be a relatively small shop that has always been focused on custom built headers for unique one-off applications, not really a high volume manufacturer, and were not able to adequately supply Crites back in that time frame.

I know they were one of the very first suppliers of the Boss 302 & 351c headers to fit into the 65 Mustang chassis with the crossover tubes under the engine.

I have been to their shop at least a dozen times over the years from when I was a kid with my Dad, to a couple years ago, and they were always VERY helpful to us.

Several times I have walked in off the street needing a single piece of tubing or a header reducer, and even searched through their box of "Mistakes" looking for a bend or two.

I would recommend them to anyone.

https://www.tubularautomotive.com/

https://www.tubularautomotive.com/catalog-1

Thanks, Mike H.

wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2020, 03:19:28 PM »
I am pretty sure mad dog made crites at one time he was 20mi from me till he moved south

manofmerc

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2020, 04:58:16 AM »
You know from my knowledge crites has always made their own headers for some time now at least 20 years .I have been buying headers for this application that long .As far as tubular automotive goes I remember their adds in super ford years ago.No doubt they are good people .Crites has changed some things about these headers .Used to #8 was touching the pitman arm BAD.Not any more #7 still hits the steering box but I expected that and #5 is tight on the oil filter I expected that too.I got them fitted and cleaned up for paint.What I do to paint is first a wipe down with oil and wax remover I then go over them with a new scotch brite pad then I use an etching solution .It is just a mild acid that give metal something for your paint to stick too.The last sets of headers I painted still look pretty good after several years .I gave up on having my headers coated their is a local shop that does a lot of headers for the manufactures .My experience is that coating doesn't last any better than paint .Take them off have them coated again and it is the same thing in a few years only difference from paint is the money you spend . Merry Christmas Doug

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2020, 01:46:09 PM »
Regarding header coatings, I think much to do with the quality of the job is the people doing the work. I have had several sets of headers done at a couple of different local (at the time) shops. The last 2 sets were done at one shop, a pair of SBF Flowtechs, and the FPAs on my 428 59 Meteor. The Small block headers were done 4 years ago, in the silvery/almost chrome looking finish, 4 years of racing they still look like new. The 59s FPAs were also done about 4 years ago, but sat un used until this past June. Since then I drove the car a little over 2000 miles, and they also look like new. The FPAs were coated in a dark ceramic gray, which they said would be better for lowering underhood temperatures. The FPAs are 1 piece headers, the FlowTechs have a single slip tube. The headers from my FE Fairmont, were custom built by TomP, and have slip on collectors with 8 individual primary tubes. You would thinks with all the separate tubes, that those headers would be able to have the best prep, due to total accesability , but that was not the case. A different company  coated those headers, and they showed scratches and rust pitting within a year of racing service. They were also the most expensive set to have coated, due to the multi piece construction, despite the fact that they were coated several years before the other 2 sets.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2020, 08:49:20 AM »
Yup, the ones on my wagon were rusting by the second year and that was not on the bottom where they got scraped.  One more reason to go SS on the replacements.
Larry

FESCJ

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2020, 10:45:35 AM »
Hey Larry, I am located close to Crite's. I could go down and see what's going on with these headers if you like? I will tell you that in the past, I get poor response from them. Not sure why? Located in primarily a farming community just south of Columbus, Ohio. Very much hit or miss when I send a message or call them.

If you need, I will do. Just let me know?

Brian N

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2020, 12:52:58 PM »
Thanks Brian.   I've been down there a couple times through the years.  Right now I am going to just replace my front tubes with SS pipe since I have the tools to do it(and a buddy that is very meticulous with building headers).
Larry