Author Topic: As If There Wasn't Enough To Do...67 Mustang  (Read 8352 times)

mbrunson427

• View Profile
As If There Wasn't Enough To Do...67 Mustang
« on: May 25, 2020, 06:40:15 PM »
Took the '67 Mustang on a cruise 3 weekends ago, turned the corner and spun it up in 2nd gear, about 4000 rpm and something went wrong. I thought initially that the little Pertonix pickup ring popped up or something, it has happened before. Looked through everything and came up empty handed...got the car towed home. Pulled the valve covers off and noticed that the back two rocker arms were doing nothing at all. Broken cam. All had to come apart.

Got it apart yesterday, here's some pictures.

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

mbrunson427

• View Profile
Re: As If There Wasn't Enough To Do...67 Mustang
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 06:40:53 PM »
The good part about this story is that we have been piecing together a new engine for this car for a while now. Probably about 3 years in the making. We have been carrying on with the "if it's not broken don't fix it" mentality...... but now it's broken. New engine is a standard bore 428, BBM heads, medium riser 2x4 C7ZX intake. Hopefully a nice street engine to replace the 390 that was in it.

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 09:03:00 PM »
So............that broken cam sure looks like a broken rod!  :o

Seriously, what do you think happened? How's the rod journal look? Anything else broken,...that might lead to a diagnosis?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 09:04:39 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 10:08:48 PM »
Ouch!! Hate to see the carnage, but it looks like you had a have a good back up plan.

John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 11:43:45 PM »

Seriously, what do you think happened? How's the rod journal look? Anything else broken,...that might lead to a diagnosis?

I wish I would have snapped a picture of the cam. It has us scratching our heads. Don't really understand it. We inspected the cam to see if the rod swung around and hit it, can't see anywhere it was hit. Broken rod, broken cam, and nothing to really explain it. All the bearings look wonderful. Engine has been together for 19 years, raced by my uncle in his 64 Fairlane for 3 years, then run in the Mustang since then, plenty of good use out of it. Kinda seems like it was just retiring.

Here's what is nuts......ZERO damage to the block. The rod cracked a piece off the piston, but no block damage at all. Very fortunate it didn't leave a window in the block.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 11:53:05 PM »
By the way, there was some discussion on here about how REF headers worked with Mustangs that had shock tower reinforcement plates. Had me nervous because we had the REF's in the box already bought and coated. Got out the foam block today and did a mock-up. They fit great. Kind of hard to see in the pictures because they are coated black.

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 08:01:29 AM »

I wish I would have snapped a picture of the cam. It has us scratching our heads. Don't really understand it. We inspected the cam to see if the rod swung around and hit it, can't see anywhere it was hit. Broken rod, broken cam, and nothing to really explain it. All the bearings look wonderful. Engine has been together for 19 years, raced by my uncle in his 64 Fairlane for 3 years, then run in the Mustang since then, plenty of good use out of it. Kinda seems like it was just retiring.

Here's what is nuts......ZERO damage to the block. The rod cracked a piece off the piston, but no block damage at all. Very fortunate it didn't leave a window in the block.

Wow, thta is weird. I'd check that piston for topside damage as a potential clue (rod stretched 1st, valves clashed, then the rod broke). Lucky on the block for sure.
Bob Maag

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 12:19:18 PM »
Just from looking at your parts, I would suggest a new set of connecting rods instead of the old Ford parts.  Good time for a new stroker kit.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 02:36:16 PM »
Just from looking at your parts, I would suggest a new set of connecting rods instead of the old Ford parts.  Good time for a new stroker kit.  Joe-JDC

Yes sir, after seeing that stock connecting rod, I'm kind of done with Ford rods. The ones sitting with all the parts now are a nice set of refurbished Le Mans rods with ARP bolts, but I don't feel good about running those anymore.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2020, 06:08:59 PM »
The engine is nearing completion, being built at uncle Bob's house. The car is at my place, I'm going to give the engine compartment some TLC and going to fix some under dash gremlins. Just received the carbs back from Drew P, he dialed them in and ran them on his engine so we should have a jump start on tuning it.

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2020, 09:53:57 PM »
Engine is painted and close to ready for the run stand.

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

TTA89

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2020, 02:12:52 PM »
Those headers are crazy looking!  Why didn't you go with FPAs? 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 02:15:50 PM by TTA89 »
-Mike
67 390 GT Mustang
Current status: Slowly coming back together

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2020, 10:23:37 PM »
Mike, the REF headers are intended for NHRA stock/super stock use, but the guy who builds them does a dang good job. They fit excellent. Little bit of a cost premium compared to other mass produced headers, but the quality is top notch.

My only warning with them: the #5 tube sits real close to the oil filter and for street use requires an oil filter relocation.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2020, 09:40:31 AM »
Engine compartment is cleaned up, now for some bolt cleaning and putting parts back into it. Should be ready to receive the engine by this weekend I think.

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2020, 09:51:47 AM »
We got the engine running on the run stand this weekend. It was fairly uneventful, which is good!! The clear valve covers were very nice to have on there.

Don't get to excited about the headers....they are Galaxie headers that we had to flip upside down to make work with the stand. Before we start another engine on there we will make some new stand mounts so they don't interfere. This current setup is perfect if you like to be burnt (ask me how I know  ;D )

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com