Author Topic: Amsoil  (Read 5503 times)

Stangman

• View Profile
Re: Amsoil
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2019, 06:17:32 AM »
The rod bearings dont even look used. I havent had a roller cam so I stay on the high zinc side ( Brad Penn ) .

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2019, 06:19:09 AM »
I think the Gibbs oil is at the bottom of that list Brent.  I think it is marketed well, but I don't use it.  JMO.  I have always been a Valvoline user, and on flat tappet break ins, I still use Brad Penn (Kendall for us old guys).  This Amsoil just really surprised and impressed me.  When I read that we had to use it at EMC, I thought.....okay.......hoping it would work.  I came away from there after cutting two filters, looking at what I drained out three times, and looking at my bearings at the teardown with intent to use it more.
Blair Patrick

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2019, 06:38:14 AM »
I will say this.....that Driven oil smells like poop water.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2019, 11:13:58 AM »
I will say this.....that Driven oil smells like poop water.

Some friends used to have a Texaco station in the late 70's- man, that Havoline oil was foul...

Cyclone03

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2019, 09:47:01 PM »
Thanks all for the responses ,great to have a resource as giving as the pros on this board.

Lance
Lance H

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2019, 08:27:13 PM »
I am an old dog at this point, and I have been religious in my use of Valvoline VR1 for a long time.  We bought Valvoline racing oil way back when you needed a screwdriver to poke two holes in the top to pour it in.......unless you had one of those fancy pour spouts.

Amsoil was the required oil (and a major sponsor) for Engine Masters.  They sent us oil to test with, and furnished oil for the contest.  I was reluctant, but I used it from beak-in, to their synthetic......through our 24 test pulls.  We had to show up dry, and they gave us oil at the contest to prevent the possibility of performance enhancing additives. 

I looked at the break in oil and first filter pretty closely.  I also looked at the second filter and first oil change closely.  I liked what I was seeing. We made 9 or 10 more pulls in the 35 minute scoring window at the contest.  We had to pull a rod and piston for teardown at EMC.  My suspicion was confirmed.  The rod bearing litterally looked like it had not been run. There are of course factors of supply, clearance, and temperature that contribute, but the oil definitely did what it was intended to do. I have a very high opinion of the Amsoil now, and thought I would mention here that it is worth looking at for both a break-in and a "run" oil.  Very happy with it!

Real curious about the "performance enhancing additives".

What types of additives and how they work ?

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2019, 09:05:20 PM »
When using hydraulic lifters (roller if it make a difference) what is the recommended viscosity, so the oil can go through the orifice that's needed ?
Because I assume, that a thick oil won't travel into the lifter as well as a thinner oil.

Ford428CJ

• FE FREAK!
    • View Profile
    • Hillside Auto
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2019, 07:00:38 PM »
I run Hyd lifters from Crower Cam Savers is what I use in my 390. Not a Hyd roller
Wes Adams FORD428CJ 
03 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 6.0 and 35's
64 Falcon 428FE
55 FORD Truck 4-link Rides on air with 428FE
http://www.hillsideauto.org/