Author Topic: Amsoil  (Read 5500 times)

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
Amsoil
« on: October 05, 2019, 09:00:22 AM »
I am an old dog at this point, and I have been religious in my use of Valvoline VR1 for a long time.  We bought Valvoline racing oil way back when you needed a screwdriver to poke two holes in the top to pour it in.......unless you had one of those fancy pour spouts.

Amsoil was the required oil (and a major sponsor) for Engine Masters.  They sent us oil to test with, and furnished oil for the contest.  I was reluctant, but I used it from beak-in, to their synthetic......through our 24 test pulls.  We had to show up dry, and they gave us oil at the contest to prevent the possibility of performance enhancing additives. 

I looked at the break in oil and first filter pretty closely.  I also looked at the second filter and first oil change closely.  I liked what I was seeing. We made 9 or 10 more pulls in the 35 minute scoring window at the contest.  We had to pull a rod and piston for teardown at EMC.  My suspicion was confirmed.  The rod bearing litterally looked like it had not been run. There are of course factors of supply, clearance, and temperature that contribute, but the oil definitely did what it was intended to do. I have a very high opinion of the Amsoil now, and thought I would mention here that it is worth looking at for both a break-in and a "run" oil.  Very happy with it!
Blair Patrick

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: Amsoil
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 09:21:29 AM »
Interesting!

I see that VR1 is available in dino oil form as well as full synthetic. Seems you got the syn. version.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 07:53:19 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

Ford428CJ

• FE FREAK!
    • View Profile
    • Hillside Auto
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 02:54:57 PM »
And I’ve been using it for years and seen how it lowered my boat temps in my 390. To my 6.0 diesel and 2 stroke turbo sled and other sleds. I won’t go back! Enough said on my part LOL
Wes Adams FORD428CJ 
03 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 6.0 and 35's
64 Falcon 428FE
55 FORD Truck 4-link Rides on air with 428FE
http://www.hillsideauto.org/

Ford428CJ

• FE FREAK!
    • View Profile
    • Hillside Auto
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 02:56:33 PM »
And congrats on the win with the FE! Everyone that ran one made us proud!!!
Wes Adams FORD428CJ 
64 Falcon 428FE

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 11:16:31 PM »
Ill give  a +1 for the Amsoil as well, Put some of their 10-50 weight race oil ( IIRC ) in my high revving 2 cylinder KTM street bike, in place of the $17-$20 a quart factory recommended oil, and i noticed a definite improvement not only in temps but in sifter operation. And after a a few months of riding it still looks as clean as the day i put it in, where the high dollar factory oil would be black after a season.

Great Job Blair! Hoping to read a detailed article about the engine soon if HR decides to write one.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 06:19:33 AM »
Similar experience here.  Never cared for their marketing methods, but used it when they provided product as sponsorship for EMC.  Initially liked it that the red color left oil filter media light colored and easy to see and read.  Looked at bearings and such after running numerous pulls and everything looks very good.  Stuff appears to work very well.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 09:12:14 AM »
Do we think a full syn Mobil 1 oil would act exactly the same way?
Bob Maag

Chrisss31

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 09:15:04 AM »
We used to use the Amsoil premix oil in our 2 stroke racing engines mixed at 100:1 as opposed to every other oil at 32:1.  Worked fantastic.

Ford428CJ

• FE FREAK!
    • View Profile
    • Hillside Auto
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 10:20:13 AM »
Do we think a full syn Mobil 1 oil would act exactly the same way?

No, I found out that oils are not equal! Been there before....
Wes Adams FORD428CJ 
64 Falcon 428FE

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2019, 06:27:52 PM »
So it isn't just some multi level marketing scheme? That is good to know it actually works better than others.

Congrats on the win and I see one of your other 390's was going rounds in St Loo in George Warren's Fairlane stocker.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az8A3i7jeB8

Gregwill16

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2019, 07:39:54 PM »
Congratulations on your well deserved win Blair! Also thanks for posting about the oil as I have a coworker who has been pushing me to get Amsoil from him for years but I figured it was a bandwagon thing.

Cyclone03

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2019, 08:32:12 PM »
Blair is there a recommended AMSOIL product for a hydraulic roller FE Morel recommends no more than 40w.
Lance H

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2019, 10:06:16 PM »
Cyclone,  typically the Morel lifters don't like really thick, or really thin oil.  Your viscosity requirements will be determined by clearances and end use.  A person should design the engine with an oil in mind.......meaning in this case that something between a 5/20 and a 10/40 is going to work well with your hydraulic Morel lifters, so bearing clearance needs to be set up to work with your combo.  Amsoil has a 15/50 that could work, but I think it would be noisy in the lifters at idle.  There really are several factors that will drive the best selection in a specific engine.  Don't rush right into synthetics in a fresh engine.  Make sure you have ring seal before you put the slick stuff in there.
Blair Patrick

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2019, 05:10:38 AM »
Agree with Blair's comments 100% - - Morels do not like to run on syrup

Something to think about...
At EMC my final pull had oil temperatures at 214 degrees.
Some folks thought it was getting hot.
Amsoil rep looked at it and commented that we were "finally getting there".
Stated that oils are rated at 100 degrees centigrade (212 F)
If your oil temps are not reaching that point, you might not have the viscosity you think you do.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2019, 05:38:17 AM »
Morels seem to be opposite from some of the other lifters.  Their close tolerances need a thinner viscosity.  I have ran 5W-20 in them and 10W-30.   All-in-all, you need to keep the kinematic viscosity in check as it can vary from oil to oil and there are some oils that will work with Morels at around the 15W-40 range. 

I'm not really an exclusive user of any particular oil.  I worked for a bit with the Valvoline engine lab, so I'm partial to VR1, but I also use Brad Penn quite a bit.  I think a lot of oils are really, really good, and just like anything else, there's more than one way to get to the finish line. 

I freshened up a pulling truck engine earlier in the year, that made over 1200 hp at 8500 rpm, and had a full season of pulls on it.  I thought really hard about putting the bearings right back in, but on a $45k engine, $300 worth of bearings is a drop in the bucket.  I use Brad Penn on that engine. 

Here's a set of 8500 rpm 351C rod bearings after some dyno thrashing:

And the mains:

This was ran on Valvoline VR1...bore mic tracks still intact.

I'm not saying all of this to say "my oil is better than your oil", but I'm just saying that I think there are a lot of really good oils out there......Amsoil, Driven, Brad Penn, VR1, etc.  I wouldn't mind to use any of them.

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports