Author Topic: New FE Blower Intakes  (Read 11365 times)

Nightmist66

• View Profile
Re: New FE Blower Intakes
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2019, 07:31:33 PM »
I took some pics of the intake. The intake is a fair quality casting, I'm sure the Blue Thunder is nicer. I think it is good for the price. The machined surfaces are surprisingly flat. I checked them with a precision straight edge. There are a few small scratches in the machined surface, but nothing that would inhibit sealing. Edges need to be deburred better. The distributor hole is chamfered on the bottom side, but not the top where the distributor will drop through. Overall height is 5 1/8". The ports are roughed in. Some need some definite attention to clean the rough casting inside. Pushrod holes are 7/16".

Front and rear bolt hole bosses should be spotfaced.

Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2019, 07:42:39 PM »
Thanks Nightmist!

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2019, 09:02:21 PM »
Pretty much what nightmist said. It's nice and flat and straight, really good casting compared to the 351c two piece intake I got from them 3 years ago. I like the rough un finished ports cause honestly with all the heads and port configurations now most any intake you get is gonna need at least port matching. Threads were nice and clean and rolled, not real sharp and jagged like some of there older stuff. My biggest issue is the small pushrod holes but there seems to be plenty of beef to open them up some as long as your careful and go in the right direction.  In my opinion it's well worth the money and with a little massaging it will be just fine, beats the hell outa a $1600.oo blue thunder that you can't even get. I'd recommend it as long as you know there will be some massaging. 
Ok, now, go ahead, tell me how f**ked up I am for getting speed master equipment.  I'm just a poor boy pay check to pay check kinda guy that's not afraid of widdling on stuff. Besides my dad was a TV repairman and had an awesome set of tools, I can fix it..
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 10:44:30 PM by fekbmax »
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2019, 09:12:25 PM »
An intake in hand is worth ten on back-order.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2019, 10:23:54 PM »

Pretty much what nightmist said. It's nice and flat and straight, really good casting compared to the 351c two piece intake I got from them 3 years ago. I like the rough un finished ports cause honestly with all the heads and port configurations now most any intake you get is gonna need at least port matching. Threads were nice and clean and rolled, not real sharp and jagged like some of there older stuff. My biggest issue is the small pushrod holes but there seems to be plenty of beef to open them up some as long as your careful and go in the right direction.  In my opinion it's well worth the money and with a little massaging it will be just fine, beats the hell outa a $1600.oo blue thunder that you can't even get. I'd recommend it as long as you know there will be some massaging. 
Ok, now, go ahead, tell me how fucked up I am for getting speed master equipment.  I'm just a poor boy pay check to pay check kinda guy that's not afraid of widdling on stuff. Besides my dad was a TV repairman and had an awesome set of tools, I can fix it..
Sounds great, Im in, I will order one in the morning. Been fooling around with making a pattern for the idler bracket, but the std right angle FE water neck is RIGHT where the belt needs to go, so I need a straight water neck. If I have to, I will fabricate one.
An intake in hand is worth ten on back-order.  Joe-JDC
Damn straight, this is a godsend. I faced up to the fact a while back that it didn't seem likely that there were going to be more coming from BT, was contemplating making one, was NOT looking forward to that AT ALL. All the guys that would "never buy that Chinese shit" will just have to live with not building blown FE's I guess, personally, I am ECSTATIC to see this part come out, it means I can move forward now.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 10:26:30 PM by falcongeorge »

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2019, 09:06:42 AM »
I'm curious what you guys are planning (if at all) for crank support?  External bearing support system?  Are there any pre-engineered solutions for that?

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2019, 09:33:51 AM »
I'm curious what you guys are planning (if at all) for crank support?  External bearing support system?  Are there any pre-engineered solutions for that?
Cross-bolted main caps for me. You really don't need to re-invent the wheel here.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2019, 10:25:36 AM »
I'm using a fully prepped truck crank and leaving the snout its original size.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2019, 10:45:57 AM »
Those scratches on the backside look like box damage, not bad either. The bolt hole tops not having been spot-faced is weird but not a big issue either. I'd ask if the intake has been dry-mounted yet to see how everything lines up. 
Bob Maag

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2019, 10:47:21 AM »
Someone asked yesterday on Facebook about the 351W item.  I posted a link to the Jegs part and also a link to Dyers kit - $3750 for the 351W kit, not a bad deal overall I think. 

We get parts where we get parts.  I would buy one of the 351C "4V stuffed port" items if they were available because the real deal rarely shows up anywhere.   I'd never rag on anyone trying to stay within their budget either.  Could be worse, could be nothing else available.  They may be "made in China" but there are some bodys stateside that get something from it - in sales, handling, importing, shipping, etc. 

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2019, 10:50:23 AM »
By "spot faced" do you mean the tops of the intake bolt holes have not been machined to a flat mounting surface?
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2019, 11:03:31 AM »
By "spot faced" do you mean the tops of the intake bolt holes have not been machined to a flat mounting surface?

Looks like the opposite of flat lol.

Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2019, 11:29:06 AM »

Looks like the opposite of flat lol.

My Streetmaster was like that, I grinded a Mercedes Diesel headbolt to a cutter with the
angle grinder
First i used the cordless drill to drive it, it was to high speed so the alu smeared
I just used a ratchet and a allen bit and spotfaced by hand, quick and easy faster than
riging up it in the mill

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2019, 12:30:31 PM »
That doesn't look like too bad a piece. It looks like it could be machined for a burst panel.

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2019, 01:51:26 PM »
I'm using a fully prepped truck crank and leaving the snout its original size.
I am planning on running a 6-71 around 12% over on a 390 crank, how worried should I be about shearing the crank snout off? I wont be running a conventional water pump so I will be running the belt closer to the engine than most guys with a conventional street set-up, I am hoping that will help keep me out of trouble, but has anyone actually had first-hand experience with a sheared off snout on a blown FE?