Author Topic: New FE Blower Intakes  (Read 11412 times)

falcongeorge

• View Profile
Re: New FE Blower Intakes
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2019, 06:05:10 PM »
thanks Nightmist/FEkbMax, I should message the vendor and see when he is getting more.

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2019, 07:27:54 PM »
It doesn't look like a bad design and doesn't look to be a copy of anyone else's intake either.
 There are three different 289-302 blower intakes on that Speedmaster page, the carburetor top plates refer to a 351C and a 460 but they don't list those intakes.
Actually, it looks like a real close copy of the Blue Thunder manifold(that I have been waiting for for 5 years) wihich is a copy of the old HM intake, I think. Here is a pic of the BT manifold.

427LX

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2019, 10:06:12 PM »
They had a dual 4bbl top plate for the 351W intake and have wondered how that would run on a 427W with those short looking runners.

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2019, 10:10:45 PM »
They had a dual 4bbl top plate for the 351W intake and have wondered how that would run on a 427W with those short looking runners.
probably not as good as a 10% over 6-71 and a pair of 950 3bbls.... ;) ;D ;D ;D

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2019, 08:18:31 AM »

If I was going to put duals on a 427W, I'd use one of the Holley ram intakes with the dual top.  But that's just me LOL.   8)

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2019, 08:46:42 AM »
Assuming the cheap manifold fit and was not porous, the next thing I'd be concerned is that it put the blower at the correct angle to be parallel to the crank centerline, who knows with cheap parts, although likely easily fixed

In the end though, the intake, even with an expensive setup, is likely the cheapest part of the build, so who knows if it's worth the savings
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2019, 11:32:27 AM »

If I was going to put duals on a 427W, I'd use one of the Holley ram intakes with the dual top.  But that's just me LOL.   8)
yup, short short runners and HUUUGE plenum area, hard to get excited about that for an N/A application.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2019, 08:26:31 AM »
I didn't notice any particular issues putting a tunnel ram on a mild 302 with a huuuuge plenum.   ;D  Worked just fine.  Granted, not everyone's first choice.  And not exactly low profile either!

plovett

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2019, 08:39:43 AM »
I didn't notice any particular issues putting a tunnel ram on a mild 302 with a huuuuge plenum.   ;D  Worked just fine.  Granted, not everyone's first choice.  And not exactly low profile either!

That intake is not a tunnel ram.  Length of the runners is very important.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 08:43:48 AM by plovett »

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2019, 09:58:57 AM »
The blower intake has considerably more plenum area and shorter runners than your tunnel ram, you are missing my point.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2019, 10:02:20 AM »
Apparently.  I would assume that in a positive pressure application, plenum and runner length are less critical. 

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2019, 10:12:33 AM »
Apparently.  I would assume that in a positive pressure application, plenum and runner length are less critical.
Yes, I think they pretty much cease to be relevant. And the plenum area in a typical blower intake is really huge, way bigger than almost any tunnel ram except possibly a first gen Edelbrock "bread box". And Edelbrock had a 'stuffer" out within 6 months of that intakes release.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2019, 11:22:32 AM »
Interesting.  The 351C ram I have has the expected large runners but the plenum is a little on the short side, probably in an effort to reduce the volume.  The 289 unit has way smaller runners and a bit more height in the plenum, while being overall a smaller unit as you'd expect.  I kinda remember the "bread box" - huge looking thing. 

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2019, 06:40:24 PM »
Actually, it looks like a real close copy of the Blue Thunder manifold(that I have been waiting for for 5 years) wihich is a copy of the old HM intake, I think. Here is a pic of the BT manifold.

Just received the intake today. It looks exactly like the BT you pictured. I may post some pics tomorrow.
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2019, 07:25:42 PM »

Just received the intake today. It looks exactly like the BT you pictured. I may post some pics tomorrow.
That was pretty quick. I am trying a local connection (he gets me a very good discount), if he cant get them, I will order one from ebay.