Author Topic: extrude hone  (Read 3055 times)

hwoods

• View Profile
extrude hone
« on: July 14, 2019, 09:52:04 AM »
anyone doing extrude hone process on your intake manifold?  seems like that used to be a big item, but i have not seen anything on it recently?  If you have used it, was it worth the cost
it is hard to balance your check book with your testoserone level
Previous FE Cars:   1965 Ford Galaxie 390/4spd then upgraded to 427 sideoiler
1970 Maverick 427 sideoiler.  X Pro Stock Car
Current build in progress 1964 Thunderbolt Clone

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
Re: extrude hone
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 10:10:55 AM »
Extrude hone does not change the shape of a port, it only polishes what defects are there, sizes, curves, etc.  I have flowed several on my flow bench after they were extrude honed, and they were all over the place in flow differences from port to port.  The only way extrude hone is of benefit, in my opinion, is to gasket match the ports, shape them the way you want them, and do any plenum work you want before you ship it off to be extruded.  The cost of shipping two ways, and the cost of each pass through the extruded makes it prohibitive for most folks.  It works on EFI manifolds where you can't get to the long runners to port them, and since most EFI intakes are dry, the polished interior is a bonus.  On a FE intake, you only get a polished interior, and not much improvement in actual airflow.  Last time I checked the cost for an intake manifold was in the neighborhood of $700.00 for one pass, plus shipping.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

hwoods

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 05:02:55 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  Seems like that used to be a pretty hot topic and I know it was costly.  Just wondered if anyone was still using it
it is hard to balance your check book with your testoserone level
Previous FE Cars:   1965 Ford Galaxie 390/4spd then upgraded to 427 sideoiler
1970 Maverick 427 sideoiler.  X Pro Stock Car
Current build in progress 1964 Thunderbolt Clone

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 05:28:11 PM »
current thoughts on intake runner finish have moved in the opposite direction.

Joe-JDC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 10:36:15 PM »
Extrude hone was great for EFI where a dry intake and plenum were used such as the Contour SVT engine where the heads, intake, and TB were extruded.  On a wet manifold, the rough texture has always been the best to keep a boundary layer of air so the fuel would not separate and form rivulets on the port walls.  However, I still have not proven on back to back dyno testing what some claim on Speed Talk about carbide texturizing the ports and intake walls on heads and manifolds.  Until I have definitive proof, I will use a 36-60* grit cartridge roll on the intake ports, and polish the exhaust ports on aluminum, and stones on the iron intake ports and polish the exhaust ports.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 12:05:00 PM »
Extrude hone was great for EFI where a dry intake and plenum were used such as the Contour SVT engine where the heads, intake, and TB were extruded.  On a wet manifold, the rough texture has always been the best to keep a boundary layer of air so the fuel would not separate and form rivulets on the port walls.  However, I still have not proven on back to back dyno testing what some claim on Speed Talk about carbide texturizing the ports and intake walls on heads and manifolds.  Until I have definitive proof, I will use a 36-60* grit cartridge roll on the intake ports, and polish the exhaust ports on aluminum, and stones on the iron intake ports and polish the exhaust ports.  Joe-JDC
I  remember Chad Spiers talking about how he got that texture by putting a slight bend in the shank of his cutter, so it was "wobbling". Having experienced a long shank cutter "helicopter", I have ABSOLUTEY ZERO desire to try this, regardless of whether the gains are verifiable or not! :o
Nonetheless, IMO, the extrude hone thing is a total non-starter on any wet-flow runner.

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 12:10:04 PM »

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 04:25:23 PM »
  I use an electric drill instead of a high speed grinder when adding "texture " to an intake port.
I also agree with Joe -JDC that rough intake ports and polished exhausts are the best. Extrude hone was a monkey see monkey do thing , hyped in all of the ragazines that depend on advertisers advertising in their publications. it became a buzzword that "milleneals" thrived on. You had to have it done to be cool. LOL
   Randy
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 10:05:53 AM by gt350hr »

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 06:38:03 PM »
You know, Randy, I thought extrude honing went away well over 20 years ago.  Maybe even 30 years?  I'm speaking in a practical sense.
 Not that it doesn't exist anymore but that people kind of understood it was an exceptionally poor performance proposition and value.  My recollection is it lasted about as long as it took for people to have heard of it.  As fadish power secrets go, this one didn't seem to have much staying power.  Not like mothballs, anyway.

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2019, 08:44:02 PM »
You know, Randy, I thought extrude honing went away well over 20 years ago.  Maybe even 30 years?  I'm speaking in a practical sense.
 Not that it doesn't exist anymore but that people kind of understood it was an exceptionally poor performance proposition and value.  My recollection is it lasted about as long as it took for people to have heard of it.  As fadish power secrets go, this one didn't seem to have much staying power.  Not like mothballs, anyway.
The magazines pushed it REALLY hard, IIRC it was kind of a "thing" with the 5.0L guys, especially before aftermarket intakes (for 5.0L EFI motors) became widely available.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2019, 10:13:13 AM »
   Sadly magazines are all about the advertisers. I get it all the time . "We are doing an article and would like you input" followed by " You know we could put a ad right by the article to promote you better".  Extrude hone probably works for classes where factory iron exhaust manifolds are required. The cost is prohibitive though.

Joe-JDC

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2019, 12:59:15 PM »
Also, if you ask Extrude Hone to make more than one pass with the media, they will ask you to sign a waiver of liability on destroying the part due to thin spots.  On exhaust manifolds, again, it is important to shape the ports with a round stone and removing as many bumps as possible before sending the parts for honing.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2019, 02:40:07 PM »
  +1 excellent advise Joe!

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2019, 03:53:01 PM »
   Sadly magazines are all about the advertisers. I get it all the time . "We are doing an article and would like you input" followed by " You know we could put a ad right by the article to promote you better".
whenever I see something like this (and I see it ALL the time), I think of Alan Freed, he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, if he had been writing for the car mags in the 1990's. he woulda been fine. If you want a snotty idle, close the LSA up.

;) ;D