Author Topic: King HP performance bearings. No .020 offering with 1/2 groove with coating.  (Read 1259 times)

67428GT500

• View Profile

The speed pro 351C performance bearings in .020 are not only on back order but have no coating.  I was considering these King mains as there are no coated FE bearings in .020 undersize.  Any experience with these? Any reason why I wouldn't want to run them?

https://www.summitracing.com/tx/parts/kgb-mb5503xp020/overview/make/ford

-Keith

67428GT500

• View Profile
So no one is familiar with the automotive side of King bearing? This bearing type in particular? 

My427stang

• View Profile
King is a good bearing.  I have used them many times, they measure a bit different than an equiv FM so be sure to check clearances.  If I remember correctly the HP is a steel backed aluminum, so it may feel different than you are used to, but they do fineK. 

In the end, if it has oil, the correct thrust diameter for the block, and proper clearance at the journal, your power level doesn't need anything fancy, you could go with almost anything.  So a good brand name is a step above that
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

67428GT500

• View Profile
I bought the XP tri-metal.

My427stang

• View Profile
See, you didn't need help after all :)
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

67428GT500

• View Profile
HA HA!  Just when I get used to one thing the game changes. I knew I didn't want Aluminum. I have seen a few sets of them that were scored and spun in high load/HP applications. Even Brand X motors. I wanted to stay with a quality bi or tri metal offering. Copper/Bronze and lead. Strangely Speed Pro offers a nice coated rod bearing that is tri-metal but no accompanying mains.
The common sense usual choices just aren't there with a .020 factory crank. I ran the Clevite 77 last time. I am staying away from the oil groove that runs the entire journal this time.
                                                                                                        -Keith
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 07:05:08 PM by 67428GT500 »