Author Topic: Clear Valve Covers - Limited Availability  (Read 9972 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Clear Valve Covers - Limited Availability
« on: February 20, 2019, 12:14:23 PM »
I have about 15 sets of clear valve covers available for sale at this time.  Five of the sets are assembled, and the other 10 will take 1-2 weeks to be finished.  These valve covers consume a lot of CNC time on the billet aluminum rails, and take about 2-1/2 hours per pair to assemble, so I only produce them periodically, on a limited basis.  There are a couple of pictures of the plain valve covers below:

These valve covers are vacuum formed from polycarbonate and are quite strong, and will not yellow with age.  They are in the Cobra Jet style; I have been working on a pentroof version but am not happy with it yet, so all the covers I have are in the CJ style.  They are available plain as shown above, or with an oil cap on one or both covers; this is the same oil cap setup that is available on my cast aluminum valve covers.  The oil caps can also be machined for a screw-in breather, a -12 AN fitting, or a PCV grommet, and the oil cap arrangement has a baffle underneath.  Pricing is $295 per pair for the plain covers, an additional $25 per valve cover for an oil cap, or an additional $35 per valve cover for an oil cap that is machined as described above.  So, if you wanted a pair of valve covers with a machined oil cap on each cover, the price would be $365 for the pair.

I am also now releasing a light kit for these valve covers, with an LED string to light up the valve train.  The light kit is an additional $95.  The light kit can also be added to the clear valve covers I have sold previously, in case you want to light up your covers.  The light kit runs on 12 volts and includes a switch and a fuse, plus the wiring and connectors needed to connect to the valve covers.

Regarding fitment, I can't guarantee that these valve covers will fit all valvetrain setups; in fact I know that the new Comp Cams setup is a problem due to the end stands.  However, a while back I modified the bottom aluminum rail of the covers to make it thicker, so there is room to grind on that if necessary to provide clearance.  I know that the stock rocker assembly will fit, the older Comp Cams and Dove rockers will fit, the Precision Oil Pumps end stands will fit, and I'm pretty sure that the Harlan Sharp setup will fit, although I haven't been able to test fit one directly.  I also believe that the T&D race setup will fit with a little grinding on the bottom valve cover rail, and that the T&D street setup will fit.  I would welcome any information from my customers regarding how these covers fit on the various rocker setups available.

As some of you know I like to test all my products on my own engines and vehicles before offering them for sale.  These valve covers have been on my 68 Mustang for two summers now with no issues, and the light kit was in place all last summer and still works fine, so I am comfortable offering them for sale.  The picture below shows the valve covers on my 68 Mustang; on the passenger side you can see a plain oil cap, and on the driver's side you can see a K&N style breather (from S&B Filters) screwed into the cap. 

Here's the same picture with the lighting kit turned on:

The light kits currently are available in three colors, blue, green, and red.  I like the blue ones, and the green ones match the color of the instrument lights in some of the old cars, so they are kind of cool also.  The red light kits may not be available for long, because my source for them is discontinuing them after their current stock runs out, so if you want the red ones, get them now.

To purchase these valve covers send me an email (jayb@fepower.net), message me on the forum, or call (952-428-9035) with your shipping address.  I will send you an invoice with a total and you can pay from that.  I accept paypal or you can call with a credit card.  Note that after the first five sets of covers are gone, lead time will be 1-2 weeks for the remaining sets.  Any questions please feel free to contact me.  Thanks, Jay

Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

mn67

• View Profile
Re: Clear Valve Covers - Limited Availability
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 12:35:50 PM »
Harland Sharps will fit.
1971 Maverick Grabber

carls-ford

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 06:13:12 PM »
Any for the Sohc yet

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 08:03:26 PM »
Ha!  ;D Sorry Carl, not yet.  That's a big project...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

FElony

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 11:14:43 PM »
Wait just a cotton-pickin' minute here. You busted my chops for wanting a clear distributor cap, and you were running one the whole time? Really? You need to be taught a lesson. That's right, I'm going to force you to sell me a pair of valve covers at gunpoint. That'll teach ya, dadgumit.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 11:35:02 PM »
Hey, don't forget it was ME who told you what distributor to run so you could use the clear cap.  Put that gun down, you hoodlum  ;D  By the way, the sparks inside the clear distributor cap are NUTHIN' compared to the LED lighted valve covers; you'll find that they are quite the chick magnet at the local Sonic.  I've also been threatening to build a circuit to strobe those LEDs.  I know you'll buy one, because watching them flash will aid you in getting into that drug and alcohol induced haze you are so fond of...
Jay Brown

FElony

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 11:44:16 PM »
Hey, don't forget it was ME who told you what distributor to run so you could use the clear cap.  Put that gun down, you hoodlum  ;D  By the way, the sparks inside the clear distributor cap are NUTHIN' compared to the LED lighted valve covers; you'll find that they are quite the chick magnet at the local Sonic.  I've also been threatening to build a circuit to strobe those LEDs.  I know you'll buy one, because watching them flash will aid you in getting into that drug and alcohol induced haze you are so fond of...

You mean, like right now, maaaan? I dig the lights, but I have no trick rockers to show off. I was hoping Brent would release his new rockers in neon pink, but it appears to be a no-go. I guess I'll just have to use those covers to watch the pushrod stripes go round and round on the test stand. I mean, isn't that the best use?

As for the chicks at Sonic, all they ever do is throw used feminine hygiene suppositories at me as soon as I get out of my car, as I am an old white toxic male. Kinda takes the romance out of the hunt.

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 09:31:25 AM »
Besides old, white & toxic, you forgot ugly.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

FElony

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 09:21:37 PM »
Besides old, white & toxic, you forgot ugly.

Lemme tell ya, with my chubbified attackers sporting tasteless tats, neon hair, nose-eye-lip rings, mile-deep makeup, and unshaven legs, I can't tell you how glad I am that nature took a dump on my looks. The more of them that puke their gurgling soy meals at the mere sight of me, the happier I am.

FElony

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 09:58:49 PM »
I am unclear [<--- lame joke] as to whether there is an option for a punchout for std production twist caps. I apologize for snorting Tub'n'Tile cleaner before I post.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 10:33:08 PM »
Perhaps I can clarify  ;D ;D  A stock type twist-in breather won't work, I've tried to machine a base for one of those but when I tried them out, they leaked and didn't hold the breather in place very well.  So, I've defaulted to the same type of screw-in cap that I use for my aluminum valve covers.  The cap can be machined to accept a K&N screw-in breather, or a PCV valve, or an AN fitting, but not a stock type twist-in breather.  Sorry, I do wish I could make that type work, but I've had no success on that score...
Jay Brown

FElony

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 11:04:35 PM »
Perhaps I can clarify  ;D ;D  A stock type twist-in breather won't work, I've tried to machine a base for one of those but when I tried them out, they leaked and didn't hold the breather in place very well.  So, I've defaulted to the same type of screw-in cap that I use for my aluminum valve covers.  The cap can be machined to accept a K&N screw-in breather, or a PCV valve, or an AN fitting, but not a stock type twist-in breather.  Sorry, I do wish I could make that type work, but I've had no success on that score...

OK, I thought I missed something. I suppose I could just hole-saw for push-in grommet and breather. The screw-in breathers look out of place on old school engine, IMO. Nifty on the alloy covers and other parts you make, though.

Envisioned maybe no breathers on test stand engine, making me wonder if, on a fresh motor at those low rpm's, there is enough blow-by to worry about having a sealed vc.

I also pictured striping the outside of this cover to mimic the CJ fins, iff'n I was inclined to wear them to a cruise-in sometimes.

Oh, and you misspelled "clearify".   :D

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 11:23:23 PM »

OK, I thought I missed something. I suppose I could just hole-saw for push-in grommet and breather. The screw-in breathers look out of place on old school engine, IMO. Nifty on the alloy covers and other parts you make, though.

I'm sure you could make the push-in breather thing work, the polycarbonate that the clear covers are made of is really quite strong.  When I cut the holes for the breathers I use a step drill to open the hole up to one inch, and then a cartridge roll and a die grinder to enlarge it further.  I've never had one crack or break when doing this; the stuff is pretty easy to work with as long as you are careful.
Jay Brown

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2019, 01:13:04 PM »
Jay, when you get to point where the pent roof version meets your standards put me on the list.
Thanks,
JB
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2019, 10:25:07 PM »
For anyone who has a set of my clear valve covers that are plain, and who may want to add an oil cap kit or the LED light kit, I've written up some detailed instructions about their installation.  They are available at the links below.

http://fepower.net/Products/Clear_Valve_Cover_Light_Kit_Installation.pdf

http://fepower.net/Products/Clear_Valve_Cover_Oil_Cap_Installation.pdf
Jay Brown