Author Topic: One bad mofo...  (Read 5879 times)

e philpott

• View Profile
Re: One bad mofo...
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2019, 10:28:54 AM »
I watched the video the other day.  Notice the really poor chassis set up and the rear wheels bouncing off the ground.

I agree, could be into the 8's real easy with some chassis tuning.  The top end looks real scary as it is dancing around pretty bad.

Transmission is likely a Jerico or maybe a Gforce 4 spd

that's a license run early on the car is dialed in much better now , many videos on South East Gassers  facebook group on this car , they are also restricted to what suspension you can run like NO modern 4 links or Ladder bar set ups and restricted on engine set ups mainly nostalgia stuff like no big chief heads for BBC's and stuff like that has to be era correct , 1967 and older with 64 and 65 Mustang along with 64,5,and 6 Barrecuda are the only Pony cars allowed , it's really a pretty nice group of cars that run in the SEGA
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 10:33:12 AM by e philpott »

Machspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2019, 01:12:04 PM »
I watched the video the other day.  Notice the really poor chassis set up and the rear wheels bouncing off the ground.

I agree, could be into the 8's real easy with some chassis tuning.  The top end looks real scary as it is dancing around pretty bad.

Transmission is likely a Jerico or maybe a Gforce 4 spd

It has a G Force 101A transmission. Some of the details are in the video description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nyfg5w8HVkM

I talked to some of the Southeastern Guys Last year at an event where they were doing some exhibition runs. I think this may have changed since last year but I found it interesting that some of classes had somewhat of a weight penalty for using an FE. Penalty may not be the best word to use but the weight(lbs) per cubic inch was definitely higher than some of the other big block engine choices.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 01:22:13 PM by Machspeed »

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2019, 02:41:11 PM »

that's a license run early on the car is dialed in much better now , many videos on South East Gassers  facebook group on this car , they are also restricted to what suspension you can run like NO modern 4 links or Ladder bar set ups and restricted on engine set ups mainly nostalgia stuff like no big chief heads for BBC's and stuff like that has to be era correct , 1967 and older with 64 and 65 Mustang along with 64,5,and 6 Barrecuda are the only Pony cars allowed , it's really a pretty nice group of cars that run in the SEGA

I noticed the license run on the window.  Though it was getting way out of shape at the top end and I wondered if he was going to do full 1/4 mile.

Shocks will do A LOT. Even with minimal traction devices.  It was way too stiff, along with too much clutch.   Glad to hear he has it set up now, it was way too out of shape.  I like wheelstands, but at having to steer it that hard at 130+ mph is not fun.
Larry

plovett

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2019, 05:59:02 PM »
I really REALLY don't like Gassers.  They look to be so non-functional.  Let's put the nose in the air and make this high-powered car really unstable.  What the fork? 

Okay, okay,  Skairlane is still really cool.  ….and way faster than my car.  :)

JMO,

paulie

Royce

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2019, 09:30:45 AM »
With the nostalgia gasser craze it's all about the show..Out of shape, stupid wheel stands, edge of control runs are what draws a crowd and keeps the tracks bringing them back..It's the equivalent of Jet Car exhibitions.. At the Meltdown I refuse to line up against cars that I know will be out of control
1955 Thunderbird Competition Coupe Altered Chassis "War Bird" 383 Lincoln Y block 520 hp
1955 Thunderbird 292 275 hp Y Block
1956 Ford Victoria 292 Y block

1957 Mercury 2dr Wagon "Battle Wagon" drag car 
1957 Thunderbird Glass body Tube Chassis drag car 333 cu in 500 hp Ford Y block
1961 Starliner 390/375 clone
1965 GT40 tribute w/FE
1966 Falcon Pro Touring project
Kaase Boss 547. 840 HP 698 Torque  pump gas
1992 BMW V-12 5.0
2001 Lincoln 5.4 4 cam.
1968 Cougar XR7

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2019, 03:17:24 PM »
Agree, the only thing that brings crowds in to see the show is the "What if" situation.  That is why they show up in packs to see those 10.5" tire cars try to go near 200 mph.

My friend wants to build a '54 Custom to mimic what his dad had back in the day.  He doesn't really want to go 8's.  Even in the 10's is plenty fast enough.

I've had thoughts of putting a straight axle under my 2 dr.  Not going to cut the wheel wells open, but I do like the straight axle look, especially with my blower sticking above the roofline.
Larry

57 lima bean

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2019, 10:43:31 PM »
With the nostalgia gasser craze it's all about the show..Out of shape, stupid wheel stands, edge of control runs are what draws a crowd and keeps the tracks bringing them back..It's the equivalent of Jet Car exhibitions.. At the Meltdown I refuse to line up against cars that I know will be out of control

S.E.G.A. Rules...Nostalgia Suspension   http://nebula.wsimg.com/ae0d02b5daafd04e04a518a7c2ad921d?AccessKeyId=ED5E25D836D1E67A5096&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

C8OZ

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2019, 12:35:43 AM »
Life needs more rules like this. "If your car goes 6.50 or better in the 1/8 mile, the front tires must be at least 15 inches off the ground on the launch or on gear change."

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2019, 08:02:35 AM »
One more maybe, maybe not  small thing.

Note how the front wheels turn to the side after the launch but before touchdown. This could be a disaster on an aborted run (where the wheels are cocked and puts him into a guardrail although not so much at Rockford). He needs to paint a stripe or use white tape on the top of the steering wheel and keep same at the 12 o'clock position.   

2x too on lots of chassis & shock tuning!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 08:10:07 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

Royce

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2019, 09:44:39 AM »
Finally someone recognizes this phenomen as an actual disease..  On par with Ebola if you ask me   

If the Chevy 2 epidemic within the SEGA continues to get worse, all Chevy 2 will have a 1” increase
in ride height, both front and rear, over the other cars of the same wheelbase.
1955 Thunderbird Competition Coupe Altered Chassis "War Bird" 383 Lincoln Y block 520 hp
1955 Thunderbird 292 275 hp Y Block
1956 Ford Victoria 292 Y block

1957 Mercury 2dr Wagon "Battle Wagon" drag car 
1957 Thunderbird Glass body Tube Chassis drag car 333 cu in 500 hp Ford Y block
1961 Starliner 390/375 clone
1965 GT40 tribute w/FE
1966 Falcon Pro Touring project
Kaase Boss 547. 840 HP 698 Torque  pump gas
1992 BMW V-12 5.0
2001 Lincoln 5.4 4 cam.
1968 Cougar XR7

57 lima bean

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2019, 10:03:18 AM »
And of course this one..."No Camaros– Any model year".Really enjoyed reading these rules.Spot on C80Z.Life does need more of this.

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2019, 11:23:42 AM »

There used to be a local guy here in Colorado with a red 56 or 57 Chevy named "Ketchup" and a yellow 59 or 60 Impala named "Mustard". Ketchup seemed to run low 10's, Mustard however was a blown alcohol injected big block that was nuts. I never saw him make a clean pass in Mustard, but it didn't matter because when he left the line the front frame rails were about 90 degrees to the rear end and it used every square inch of track. When he ran people would line up at the fence just to have a laugh, it was a lot of fun to watch. I don't think they let him run against anyone generally, was more of an exhibition thing, exactly the type of deal you're describing.

Edit: I found a video of the car. Seems to be tamed down a bit in this video, but you'll get the idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AiF3yCNCTc
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 12:19:09 PM by mbrunson427 »
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2019, 01:16:14 PM »
One more maybe, maybe not  small thing.

Note how the front wheels turn to the side after the launch but before touchdown. This could be a disaster on an aborted run (where the wheels are cocked and puts him into a guardrail although not so much at Rockford). He needs to paint a stripe or use white tape on the top of the steering wheel and keep same at the 12 o'clock position.   

See many wheelstanding cars that the driver things he can steer when the wheels aren't on the ground. 
Most likely they have their left hand on the wheel, too high up, when launching they lean back and turn the wheel.  Not a good thing when it comes down.
Larry

C8OZ

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2019, 01:21:37 PM »
Some of the simplest/best advice an old-timer gave me when I first started racing a 4-speed Fairlane, "Jam your left elbow into the armrest."
Served me well.