Author Topic: Hmm  (Read 9604 times)

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Hmm
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2019, 03:11:53 PM »
If the point of owning a new fast car that is the quickest around, then getting from point A to B IS quicker with the automatic in today's vehicles. 

Joe, no argument about modern autos being faster, and yes, they are more consistent in any vehicle, but the point is that they are taking the "driving" part out of it. With modern launch/traction controls, you just stomp the pedal and let the car do everything. It's like a live video game, which I guess is fitting with todays younger generation.

Talking about taking the "driving" part out of it, that's ultimately where we're headed anyway, with autonomous cars.

And remember, all this amazing technology comes at a huge price...as in dollars. Not just in the initial purchase price, but the cost of repairs on any modern vehicle are insane. And then realize that hardly anyone can do those repairs by themselves anymore, which auto manufacturers were trying to accomplish through the court systems anyway. I realize that's just where we are in society, but I don't have to like it..lol
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2019, 03:30:09 PM »
We’re just a bunch of knuckle draggers. ;D
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

Machspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2019, 04:16:00 PM »
I wonder if any of the aftermarket guys will see a need to make kits to convert some of these newer vehicles over to manual? With today's youth you could market it as an anti theft kit. ;D

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2019, 04:34:37 PM »
From what little ,I heard, the transmission choice , a twin disc clutch computer shifted was the only option that showed reliable in testing. Let's face it, they don't make these cars today with FE gear jammers in mind. It's a lost "art" for the most part. In another 3-4 years we will tell the car, the destination, and the car will take us there, while watching videos of past FE Reunions.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2019, 04:44:29 PM »
Here is talk about banning privateowned cars
when the self driving cars is up and running
so the government is going to tell the car your
destination.....thats a scary future in my book :'(

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2019, 11:25:48 PM »
Some of these newer cars "automatic " transmissions are now automatically shifted Manuals with Torque converters instead of Clutch and also have dual counter shafts for the extra gears where each counter shaft has its own set of gears it works together with , things are getting so complicated anymore

No torque pervertor, they are a manual tranny with two sets of gears each set with a clutch. When it shifts one clutch is disengaged from it's gear set while the other gear set is already engaged... there are videos showing it easier than describing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8aGgSbtoJE

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2019, 11:29:05 PM »
In another 3-4 years we will tell the car, the destination, and the car will take us there,....

On the bright side, I guess thugs and gang members will have to reside to bicycles for 'ride-by' shootings. Should make them easier to catch, you just need to keep a rock handy.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2019, 12:43:18 PM »
If the point of owning a new fast car that is the quickest around, then getting from point A to B IS quicker with the automatic in today's vehicles. 

Joe, no argument about modern autos being faster, and yes, they are more consistent in any vehicle, but the point is that they are taking the "driving" part out of it. With modern launch/traction controls, you just stomp the pedal and let the car do everything. It's like a live video game, which I guess is fitting with todays younger generation.

Driving a car that covers the first 60' in less than 1.5 seconds and is covering ground at 125+ in 600', I don't need any distractions from a shifter, clutch, etc.  Same with the door car and the air shifter - it's a safety thing to me.  If you are really pushing it up on the tire, you are on the edge of control.  Coupled with the concentration required to over take - or prepare to be overtaken - at 100+ MPH and only 10' apart, you need the car to be doing it's thing without bothering the driver.  Just my take on it.  Manuals are fun, maybe fun at a TnT.  Loading and unloading the tires and moving around on the track, save that for the no prep jocks.  Video games don't put your ass into the wall in a blink and tear up $20,000 worth of race car.  We had that once this year - some fat guy with $$$$$ an a 5.xx second 1/8 mile car put a 16 year old unskilled driver in it, first pass the car is in several pieces and that kid may never get back in a race car.  Sorry for the rant, but now that I've spent a lot of time in a really competitive fast car, "video game" is an insult to the level of concentration required to execute a safe and successful pass in these cars.  We don't bring in "show car" old school drag cars because Super Pro is running .2 or better quicker than anything they bring.  150~160 MPH in 660' is same-same every day thing.  What used to be fast as "low 11s" for the footbrake class now runs in the 9s and low 10s just to keep up.   

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2019, 01:13:09 PM »
I see a lot of talk about how fast these cars will be in the 1/4 mile and how that auto trans will help and no doubt it will but I view these cars as more a road car that handles corners real well. That's why they put IRS in it. So having a car that handles superbly but has an automatic in it is kind of silly. I don't know if you can manually shift through all ten gears or not.  I guess I am getting old but buying a street car with 700+ hp falls into the "Mine is bigger than yours" category. My '04 Mach 1 with it's paltry 305hp will boil the tires through two(manual!) gears and is speed limited to 151 mph. What am I going to do with over twice that much.  Now a race car that you happen to drive on the street is a whole other story. :) In actuality I doubt we'll be seeing a lot of them at the track...any track any time soon.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 01:25:02 PM by AlanCasida »

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2019, 03:29:12 PM »
Yep, it's gotten to the point that it's silly.  I got rid of my 2013 GT because just driving sanely, it was kind of boring.  For it to be fun I had to crank it up, and although I wouldn't say it was fast, it was fast enough that in today's world I'd have gotten a reckless.  The new GT500 will have 300hp more than that car, just no way to utilize that car around town without getting in trouble. 

That said, I'd like to drive one for sure, guarantee they're fun despite denuding it with the dual clutch.  There are plenty of guys beating on Hellcats/Demons/Etc with IRS, they'll figure out how to run the GT500s on the 1/4

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2019, 06:11:06 PM »
Yep, it's gotten to the point that it's silly.  I got rid of my 2013 GT because just driving sanely, it was kind of boring.  For it to be fun I had to crank it up, and although I wouldn't say it was fast, it was fast enough that in today's world I'd have gotten a reckless.  The new GT500 will have 300hp more than that car, just no way to utilize that car around town without getting in trouble. 
It's funny you should say that because I feel the same way about my Mach1. Just driving around it's not even real comfortable for me either. I guess that's why after 15 yrs I only have 39,000 miles on it.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2019, 07:52:12 AM »
Sorry for the rant, but now that I've spent a lot of time in a really competitive fast car, "video game" is an insult to the level of concentration required to execute a safe and successful pass in these cars.

Chris, we were talking about the new Shelby, and modern muscle cars in general, not your actual race car. There's a big difference between the two. I wouldn't call your rail or your door car a "video game" ride, so no need to feel insulted.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2019, 05:15:45 PM »
Yeah I don’t think anybody was aiming there Chris. Just yakkin’ About driving cars. We may have gotten side tracked a bit when I mentioned Jays car because of the silly statement I made about commuting. Just thought that it was a funny deal to think of Jays bad ass ride as a commuter. But as Doug said we were just talking driving experience not racing. Whole ‘nuther ball of wax.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2019, 05:31:54 PM »
Well, since the new GT 500 has a 7 speed with a paddle shifter, it all comes down to a finger. Of course I'll just keep the old Ranchero,( it is paid for). Would like to put and FE under the bonnet. I have thought about leasing a new Ranger. Still have my 2004, which has been very reliable.

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2019, 03:15:44 AM »
I agree that they really missed the mark on the new Ranger, at least for me. But the GM equivalent also has gotten pretty big over the last few years. The new Ranger equivalent to my 01 Ranger is almost 2 feet longer. I always liked the Rangers because they were a mid-size that was built like a real truck. My 01 has done more work than most guys 1 ton diesel trucks and you can still park it downtown easy. I was going to get a new one, but I think I'll just put an engine and trans in mine and keep it when it gets tired. 262k on the SOHC 4.0 and 5R55E so far. Starting to leak a little, but it just matches everything else I own now!

There are a lot of really cool, fast cars on the dealer lots new again. But a lot of them are sorta boring to me. Unless it's a dedicated race car, I'm more interested in the driving experience and manual trans cars are just more fun. At least for me. Who wants to be diving into a corner and have the car take over and drive thru it for you?

Besides, I'm always worried someone will plug their iPhone into me fancy new car and something goes wrong and suddenly Rob Zombie replaces the suspension control program.

On a more serious note, there are some REAL safety issues with this new technology. Fiatslyer (AKA Chrysler) had a security problem with their WiFi system and someone with basic skills and a VIN number could sit on their couch while you're driving your car and tell the electric power steering to go full lock left with a few mouse clicks. I saw it happen in real life a couple years ago - it was a test deal because the security issue was raised and Chrysler said it couldn't happen so at least the car was on a test track - this time.