Author Topic: Stock 352.  (Read 9539 times)

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: Stock 352.
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2019, 10:31:21 AM »
Lots of heat cycles, not the best machining way back when, and a total variance of less than .005 on each deck...pretty normal.

My guess is that it'll clean up at 10.150-10.155, then you can either turn it into something bigger or go with a good set of tight quench pistons for the 352

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Dieselman966

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2019, 09:23:36 PM »
Looks like I have something going on in this engine. Seems like a lot of wear for it being a fresh rebuild.

Dieselman966

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2019, 10:41:38 PM »
What causes the the scoring on the cylinders like this?

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2019, 07:56:42 AM »
That usually happens from not deburring and rolling the edge at the bottom of the cylinders.  If it has been bored and honed, and has not been hand massaged, there will be a knife edge at the bottom of the bores.........
Blair Patrick

C6AE

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2019, 09:52:11 PM »
I finally got some measuring done on my block.  I'm seeing as much as .010 from my highest measurement of .0705 to my lowest of .0805.  Seems like a  lot of variation or is this pretty typical.  My tdc was off by one degree. Checked with a hard stop.

I'm not clear on how you are measuring this, but the .010 variation could easily be in the connecting rods.  I check deck variation with an indicator by using the same conecting rod and piston and moving it from hole to hole. A little time consuming but it seems an accurate way to check a block.  (Have you checked the center to center length of the rods?)
(About 50 years ago I once "repaired" a rod knock in a '53 Desoto for which another rod was unobtainable, by grinding the crank, just cleaning up the rod and resizing it. It was almost .050 shorter, but Grandpa never knew!)

Dieselman966

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2019, 05:47:02 PM »
I finally got some measuring done on my block.  I'm seeing as much as .010 from my highest measurement of .0705 to my lowest of .0805.  Seems like a  lot of variation or is this pretty typical.  My tdc was off by one degree. Checked with a hard stop.

I'm not clear on how you are measuring this, but the .010 variation could easily be in the connecting rods.  I check deck variation with an indicator by using the same conecting rod and piston and moving it from hole to hole. A little time consuming but it seems an accurate way to check a block.  (Have you checked the center to center length of the rods?)
(About 50 years ago I once "repaired" a rod knock in a '53 Desoto for which another rod was unobtainable, by grinding the crank, just cleaning up the rod and resizing it. It was almost .050 shorter, but Grandpa never knew!)

I measured the pistons as they sat in the bores with a dial indicator and a magnetic base. 

I ended up having the block decked .070 and the heads surfaced another .020.  I also had the machine shop take .090 off of the intake side of the heads so the intake would match up properly.  Well see how it all comes together now. I have the first 2 pistons installed so far.  Number 1 is .010 in the hole still. I'll check the rest as I go along here.  Hopefully this will get me burning rubber for a few years until I can build the 390 for it.

Tommy A

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2019, 10:20:21 PM »
Dieselman, instead of blowing all that money4 cometics  too bad you could not find at set of the old Ford steel  shim .015 or .020 thick gaskets............Tom

Dieselman966

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2019, 11:40:57 AM »
Dieselman, instead of blowing all that money4 cometics  too bad you could not find at set of the old Ford steel  shim .015 or .020 thick gaskets............Tom

I'll just be running regular felpro head gaskets now.  No need to run the thinner expensive one after decking the block

Dieselman966

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2019, 08:14:16 AM »
Motor is assembled.  Everything came together good in the end. I'm just waiting on the distributor from Faron then I'll be able to run the car.  In hind site I should have listened to the previous advice and found a 390.  Would have been the same cost or cheaper in the long run.  Or the custom piston route would have saved me some money in the long run.  I guess I'll see how well this runs now before being to harsh on my self lol. 

Dieselman966

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2019, 11:03:35 PM »
Finally took the galaxie for a drive further than a half mile from the house after I figured out why the car was not shifting right.  The line fell off the modulator on the transmission.  Shifts great now.  The car has about as much power as you would expect it to for what it. Now I need some gears and and some brake work done.