Author Topic: Edelbrock EFI purchase, pics and initial observations  (Read 8186 times)

My427stang

• View Profile
Edelbrock EFI purchase, pics and initial observations
« on: December 22, 2018, 12:06:40 PM »
First, let me say that Summit dragged me around for a month, finally said the manufacturer didn't have any.  To which Brent jumped in and I had it in 3-4 days, with a tracking number which I was able to revector to a Walgreen's pickup so 2 grand worth of EFI stuff didn't sit on my front porch.  This isn't a bitch about Summit as much as how easy it was for Brent to get the deal done.  So don't think if him as just engines, clutches and cams. 

Second, it arrived pre-packaged and assembled in a nice box that keeps everything safe.  I bought the setup that comes with a tablet, and is supposedly ready to bolt on, but I suspect it will need some customizing for my use

The setup has nice parts, an idle air motor, and everything you'd expect, to include a distributor and the tablet.  Although you can tell it's a street system, the feed lines are smaller than I run on my Mustang, but certainly adequate for the rating and 36 lb injectors.  Should be a nice truck or mild build setup

Last for now, I anticipate the intake will need to come apart, both for some porting and fitting but also because STILL Edelbrock doesn't get that EFI needs more than one access to water and Fords don't give you that access anywhere like a  Chevy  If they only would add a bung to allow use of a heater, a gauge, and the coolant temp sensor this would be easy

I will end up doing the same to this one as I did the Massflo setup on the Mustang

« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 12:08:59 PM by My427stang »
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Pentroof

• View Profile
Re: Edelbrock EFI purchase, pics and initial observations
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 03:14:12 PM »
Ross,
Why do you need a 2nd sensor to give you the same information? What I'm suggesting is maybe you should look at it from a different perspective. The computer already has that information, so why not pull it from there for whatever purpose you intend?

I know the Holley system offers multiple temp based triggers and outputs for gauges, etc. Edelbrock must have the same.
Jim

C8OZ

• View Profile

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 04:13:02 PM »
Ross,
Why do you need a 2nd sensor to give you the same information? What I'm suggesting is maybe you should look at it from a different perspective. The computer already has that information, so why not pull it from there for whatever purpose you intend?

I know the Holley system offers multiple temp based triggers and outputs for gauges, etc. Edelbrock must have the same.

2 reasons really

1 - I don't like my stock gauges not working, the truck (and the car) is as restored as they are modified, so I like everything to work as original

2 - The ECM may have the information, but it's fed to the tablet via Bluetooth, and I don't see any reason I want to mount a tablet somewhere on the dash to watch for it

As far as I am concerned, the coolant temp sensor talks to the computer, the gauge talks to me.  It would be handy if I could make one work for both, but real easy to weld a bung, just wish Edelbrock did it for me LOL

Not sure of the port size, but these things can be a lifesaver, too.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-hvac-elbow-connector-e5tz18599c?origin=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9JLxiaK03wIVEI7ICh0QUAZrEAQYASABEgJFT_D_BwE

That is a handy thing, I already use a 45 degree outlet, I'll get one in before I start drilling :)  might work well for the coolant temp sensor.  Thanks for the tip!

Ross
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 04:33:45 PM »
I’ve had a chance to fiddle with this set up on another’s car and really like it. I’ll be interested in your observations as I’m thinking about this for the wagon.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

Pentroof

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 05:30:58 PM »
2 reasons really

1 - I don't like my stock gauges not working, the truck (and the car) is as restored as they are modified, so I like everything to work as original

2 - The ECM may have the information, but it's fed to the tablet via Bluetooth, and I don't see any reason I want to mount a tablet somewhere on the dash to watch for it

As far as I am concerned, the coolant temp sensor talks to the computer, the gauge talks to me.  It would be handy if I could make one work for both, but real easy to weld a bung, just wish Edelbrock did it for me LOL

Actually, what I was suggesting is using an output from the ECM to drive your factory gauge.
Jim

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 06:35:39 PM »
Ahh sorry, generally a sender is a ground.  The engine coolant temperature is a variable circuit and the ECM is somewhat fussy on voltage, most factory stuff runs at 1/2V where I think even gauges are significantly more

I don't think I could unless I somehow modified the gauge to take an output from the ECM
Ross

FElony

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 09:19:43 PM »
First, let me say that Summit dragged me around for a month, finally said the manufacturer didn't have any.  To which Brent jumped in and I had it in 3-4 days, with a tracking number which I was able to revector to a Walgreen's pickup so 2 grand worth of EFI stuff didn't sit on my front porch.  This isn't a bitch about Summit as much as how easy it was for Brent to get the deal done.  So don't think if him as just engines, clutches and cams. 

I had no idea Walgreen's made a pickup called the Vector. How does it compare to the Big Three's offerings?

2 grand? Jeez, you rich guys. It take me 5 or 6 months to make that working my spot at the freeway offramp.

I guess I'm OK as long as I stop short of thinking about Brent as a human. Or an android.

Hey, it's Sat night and I'm running low on drugs and booze. You'll just have to put up with my weak-ass commentary. Or not. Send me a cheezburgr.

Dan859

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 12:29:16 AM »
It take me 5 or 6 months to make that working my spot at the freeway offramp.

Well, I hate to break it to you, but there's a reason for that  ;D

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2018, 09:27:21 AM »

I had no idea Walgreen's made a pickup called the Vector. How does it compare to the Big Three's offerings?

2 grand? Jeez, you rich guys. It take me 5 or 6 months to make that working my spot at the freeway offramp.

I guess I'm OK as long as I stop short of thinking about Brent as a human. Or an android.

Hey, it's Sat night and I'm running low on drugs and booze. You'll just have to put up with my weak-ass commentary. Or not. Send me a cheezburgr.

Drugs + booze = potential  thoughts of Brent...be careful buddy.  Bacon, Peyote and Tomato NOT a recommended combo

Story for you for the offramp though - My daughter, when we were in Pensacola FL, felt bad for this one-legged guy at the corner with a sign "I haven't eaten today"  She wanted to give him her McDonald's Happy Meal.  She was 6.  Rolled the window down, told the dude, expecting a smile even if he didn't want it. He replied in full Tourette's kind of swearing then ended with "I don't want your damned food, I want F-IN money!"   

Not the technique I would have used, it was a long time ago, but I was going to toss him a 5 too, but with a now crying kid, the light turning green and f-wad swearing at me, I gave him a good comment back and she kept her Happy Meal
Ross

urchinhead

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2018, 11:15:47 AM »
Are you planning to change the fuel delivery system, or use the in tank set-up that you already have? The Edelbrock under-hood and the various in-tank pumps add a couple months to the panhandling game.

Also, what power level is the system rated for? The Edelbrock website lists the Pro Flo 35960 as,
“up to 550,” horsepower, while some of the distributors advertise it as 625.

I’m looking forward to following this project.
1964 Galaxie 500 Convertible, drivetrain on stand
1970 F100 Custom, 428 - body work and paint in progress

FElony

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2018, 12:33:57 PM »
It take me 5 or 6 months to make that working my spot at the freeway offramp.

Well, I hate to break it to you, but there's a reason for that  ;D

Well gosh, I dunno. Is it because my face looks like I grew up on an old nuclear test site? Or because I need to use Raid Flying Insect spray as a deodorant to keep the personal beasties at bay? I'm fairly certain I can improve both with a bucket of gas and a lighter, so I'll ponder that.

FElony

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2018, 12:45:21 PM »

Bacon, Peyote and Tomato NOT a recommended combo

Your ignorance of fine cuisine is appalling.

Story for you for the offramp though - My daughter, when we were in Pensacola FL, felt bad for this one-legged guy at the corner with a sign "I haven't eaten today"  She wanted to give him her McDonald's Happy Meal.  She was 6.  Rolled the window down, told the dude, expecting a smile even if he didn't want it. He replied in full Tourette's kind of swearing then ended with "I don't want your damned food, I want F-IN money!"   

Not the technique I would have used, it was a long time ago, but I was going to toss him a 5 too, but with a now crying kid, the light turning green and f-wad swearing at me, I gave him a good comment back and she kept her Happy Meal

Yep, sometimes we need money for booze and drugs more than we need food. Life is harsh on the Ramp.

C8OZ

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2018, 12:48:04 PM »

That is a handy thing, I already use a 45 degree outlet, I'll get one in before I start drilling :)  might work well for the coolant temp sensor.  Thanks for the tip!

The down side is they made these in a variety of threads/sensor/hose sizes, so it's easy to end up with a drawer full of also-rans.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2018, 02:24:30 PM »
Are you planning to change the fuel delivery system, or use the in tank set-up that you already have? The Edelbrock under-hood and the various in-tank pumps add a couple months to the panhandling game.

Also, what power level is the system rated for? The Edelbrock website lists the Pro Flo 35960 as,
“up to 550,” horsepower, while some of the distributors advertise it as 625.

I’m looking forward to following this project.

My game plan is to run a big Mallory pump that came with the Massflow system.  I used an in tank pump in the Mustang, but not sure I'd want to hear it in the cab.  As far as plumbing, intent right now is to poke two holes in the tank and put AN bulkhead fittings with nylon washers, one with a standoff pipe and filter to the bottom of the tank.  However, not sure.  I do not intend to put a tank underneath, but it might be the smartest option but the most costly for bodywork
Ross