Author Topic: Edelbrock EFI purchase, pics and initial observations  (Read 8183 times)

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
Re: Edelbrock EFI purchase, pics and initial observations
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2018, 05:11:48 AM »
I didn't know they finally put the FE version into production. When I was a looking a while ago it kept saying the delivery was TBA.

I'm curious if they have updated the hardware/software so you can save a permanent base tune? The Edelbbrock I used about a year and a half ago on a (don't ban me yet) LS wouldn't let me turn the self tune off. Must like most of the TBI setups like the FiTech, Sniper, etc. The thing I like about Holley is I can keep saving the learned map as the base map and refine the tune by driving. Then I can turn self-learning off and put some limits on adjustment by the O2 so it doesn't tune itself off a cliff if something goes bad.

I'm leaking towards getting a Holley kit for my truck project because I'd like to run a modern trans in that project and Holley currently has 4R70W support and they're supposed to be adding E4OD/4R100 software soon. Nice to have one program to use to tune it and one wiring harness to deal with.

I hear you on the coolant ports, it's nice to have a few options. I also like to have all the stock stuff working plus whatever I add.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2018, 06:15:34 AM »
The thing I like about Holley is I can keep saving the learned map as the base map and refine the tune by driving. Then I can turn self-learning off and put some limits on adjustment by the O2 so it doesn't tune itself off a cliff if something goes bad.

This is a HUGE deal on the basic EFI systems.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2018, 08:49:52 AM »
I didn't know they finally put the FE version into production. When I was a looking a while ago it kept saying the delivery was TBA.

I'm curious if they have updated the hardware/software so you can save a permanent base tune? The Edelbbrock I used about a year and a half ago on a (don't ban me yet) LS wouldn't let me turn the self tune off. Must like most of the TBI setups like the FiTech, Sniper, etc. The thing I like about Holley is I can keep saving the learned map as the base map and refine the tune by driving. Then I can turn self-learning off and put some limits on adjustment by the O2 so it doesn't tune itself off a cliff if something goes bad.

I'm leaking towards getting a Holley kit for my truck project because I'd like to run a modern trans in that project and Holley currently has 4R70W support and they're supposed to be adding E4OD/4R100 software soon. Nice to have one program to use to tune it and one wiring harness to deal with.

I hear you on the coolant ports, it's nice to have a few options. I also like to have all the stock stuff working plus whatever I add.

I will dig through the directions today, and report back.  I agree as well, on my Ford system on the Mustang, using the Quarterhorse chip and EEC Analyzer program I was able to exactly that, plus an incredible amount of other options. I don't know on this one, I doubt it, but this is a Pro flo 4, and the big difference is a new ECM and supposedly better interface, we'll see.   I hope I can dig deeper than just "pick a cam, etc"

FYI - The price is pretty good on the Edelbrock kit.  Summit is at 1850 or so and it comes with intake, injectors, ECM, all wiring and sensors and a distributor.  I currently run a Duraspark, so I may have been able to use it, but if I went with a new distributor, a new intake and a Sniper or FITech, the price turned out to be very close.

I like your idea of a modern transmission, Holley is doing some neat stuff, I decided to do this one, but like I said earlier, the Sniper and FITech both looked like good options too.  My experience with TBIs has been almost as good as my port injected stuff.  Also, my NP435 doesn't care what the engine is doing :)

I suspect my next focus needs to be rear suspension, it hated the 445, doesn't really like the 390 in it now, but this one will likely wrap those 47 year old 2.25 inch leaves into a pretzel!

« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 08:58:24 AM by My427stang »
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Dubs1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2018, 12:13:34 PM »
Hi Ross

Thanks much  for sharing your sage knowledge and experience   with us novices.  Looks like  a great package.

Have  a Very merry christmas

All the best

Larry

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2018, 12:41:11 PM »
Hi Ross

Thanks much  for sharing your sage knowledge and experience   with us novices.  Looks like  a great package.

Have  a Very merry christmas

All the best

Larry

Hardly a sage, but not afraid to help the economy a bit!

Ross
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Pentroof

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2018, 03:51:05 PM »
I'll be watching intently. I see the intake has some changes such as "EFI" replacing the Victor name and a different setup for the injectors and rails. I have an EFI Victor with a 4500 flange on my Cyclone that I installed years ago but still setup with a carb (rails holding rubber plugs in the injector ports). I've been waiting for a good MPI kit while trying to educate myself.

Question #1: is this casting more traditional consumer oriented with the port openings at the head interface? I know I had to add a lot of love to mine to match to my heads and Edelbrock historically intended it that way because this was an all-out performance intake. I suspect this new version has ports opened more like a Performer RPM?

What I've learned with the Sniper on my F100 is I don't want the ECM mounted on the motor due to ignition noise (also controlling my timing with it). For that reason alone, I like the Edelbrock kit. However, I've been able to tune the hell out of the Holley setup with the software (have to download this). I have even been able to pull timing out based on high air temp and can do so in stages. I'm hoping the Edelbrock is similar, but I'm not hearing much.

Question #2: how deep can you go with the tuning, especially with respect to timing control.

Looking forward to your journey on this, especially with your previous EFI experience.
Jim

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2018, 10:36:55 PM »

I will dig through the directions today, and report back.  I agree as well, on my Ford system on the Mustang, using the Quarterhorse chip and EEC Analyzer program I was able to exactly that, plus an incredible amount of other options. I don't know on this one, I doubt it, but this is a Pro flo 4, and the big difference is a new ECM and supposedly better interface, we'll see.   I hope I can dig deeper than just "pick a cam, etc"

FYI - The price is pretty good on the Edelbrock kit.  Summit is at 1850 or so and it comes with intake, injectors, ECM, all wiring and sensors and a distributor.  I currently run a Duraspark, so I may have been able to use it, but if I went with a new distributor, a new intake and a Sniper or FITech, the price turned out to be very close.

I like your idea of a modern transmission, Holley is doing some neat stuff, I decided to do this one, but like I said earlier, the Sniper and FITech both looked like good options too.  My experience with TBIs has been almost as good as my port injected stuff.  Also, my NP435 doesn't care what the engine is doing :)

I suspect my next focus needs to be rear suspension, it hated the 445, doesn't really like the 390 in it now, but this one will likely wrap those 47 year old 2.25 inch leaves into a pretzel!

That is actually a pretty good price considering what you get with the kit for less than 2k!

I agree, TBI stuff is pretty good usually. If you really want to get crazy with sequential port injection you can get pretty good mileage at cruise, but at higher engine speeds you end up having to go back to batch fire or bank to bank anyway.

The quarterhorse is a pretty cool tuning tool for EEC stuff. Nice to be able to make changes on the fly.

Well, if the Edelbrock electronics don't work out at least you'll have all the hard parts in place and you can swap to someone else's ECM pretty easily. I'm curious to see how this new generation of Edelbrock does, hope it works out well.

AmerigoHauler

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2019, 01:28:06 AM »
Hi Ross,

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these and was wondering if you had gotten any further with yours? I've been doing a lot of research but the info on the FE specific version is sketchy at best.

I have a lot of questions to ask but I will probably start a thread myself on this, but I would like to know what kind of gear is on the distributor, I have a hydraulic roller setup in mine.

Thanks, Erich
Erich Weber
1974 F350 Super Camper Special
2004 Mercury Marauder

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2019, 03:44:30 AM »
Erich, it has a melonized gear and can be used with a steel cam

I have not gotten any farther with mine because I have a couple of things in front of it, however I did have the intake modified with another coolant temp bung.

Ross

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2019, 05:41:53 AM »
I would double check with the manufacturer to clarify exactly what the gear is made of.   FE hydraulic rollers are always billet steel cores and require true steel distributor gears.  If the gear on the distributor on those kits is rough looking, then I wouldn't trust it on a steel camshaft and would swap it out.  A steel distributor gear doesn't look cast.

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2019, 05:13:30 PM »
I would double check with the manufacturer to clarify exactly what the gear is made of.   FE hydraulic rollers are always billet steel cores and require true steel distributor gears.  If the gear on the distributor on those kits is rough looking, then I wouldn't trust it on a steel camshaft and would swap it out.  A steel distributor gear doesn't look cast.

I did, it looks like a steel gear is called melonized in the instructions. Ford used a similar process in the roller 5.0s, that being said, buyer beware, I am running mine on a flat tappet so my feedback won't be a good indicator
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 08:57:35 PM by My427stang »
Ross

dmann

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2019, 05:46:36 PM »
I have this setup as well, and I'll be running mine with a roller cam.  Hope to have it running later this summer.  I called Edelbrock and got the same info about the mellanized gear, they told me it will work with an aftermarket roller cam (I hope so).

I'm a bit bummed that they told me there is no planned support for forced induction.  It seems like they could offer an "advanced/buyer beware" menu to allow the additional functionality (maybe even sell an add on license).

The kit includeds the distributor and the intake so it seemed like a fair deal, based upon the price.  Good luck My427stang, keep us posted.

Dan

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2019, 06:27:58 PM »
I have this setup as well, and I'll be running mine with a roller cam.  Hope to have it running later this summer.  I called Edelbrock and got the same info about the mellanized gear, they told me it will work with an aftermarket roller cam (I hope so).

I'm a bit bummed that they told me there is no planned support for forced induction.  It seems like they could offer an "advanced/buyer beware" menu to allow the additional functionality (maybe even sell an add on license).

The kit includeds the distributor and the intake so it seemed like a fair deal, based upon the price.  Good luck My427stang, keep us posted.

Dan

I don't think I'd trust the gear without some further investigation.   A lot of aftermarket roller cams are not steel and you can get cast roller cams for a lot of engine families.  The FE hydraulic roller cams are usually either 8620 or 9310 steel. 

So when someone says, "Yes, this will work with a roller cam.", it doesn't mean that it's compatible with *every* roller cam.

To be honest, every time I see mention of a melonized gear, it's usually associated with a cast camshaft. 

Not trying to be a stick in the mud, but there's a lot of misinformation about distributor gear compatibility. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2019, 08:39:00 PM »
The melonized steel gears from Crane have been very good on numerous roller cams for years now.
Melonized is something of a trade name for a specific nitriding process.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2019, 06:20:06 AM »
Yep, I try to use Crane exclusively. 

I just don't have good feelings about everything that's called "melonized" and I'm not sure that everyone (even Edelbrock) knows that FE cams are billet.  I've seen cast iron distributor gears that were supposedly "melonized". 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431