Author Topic: Anybody have experience using-----  (Read 7904 times)

falcongeorge

• View Profile
Re: Anybody have experience using-----
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2018, 04:03:32 PM »
George, i forget how much, but I think I bought my first GV for $300. 
Mind you I had nothing to put it in and it sat in my shop for 8 years, but still.....
Man, I think if I found one for $300, I'd buy it " just in case " too! Helluva deal!

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2018, 04:07:28 PM »
I agree its some about cost.  Personally, I could do fine with a mid 90s AOD and a few upgrade parts because I don't intend to make 1xxx HP ever.  600 would be about the limit my budget could produce and that's plenty.  My home built roller C4 has seen a lot of use up to 500 HP with no issues, so I'm sure I could build up a AOD easily for much less than a GV unit.
Yes, for me, I am starting from ground zero, so the AOD makes sense. I do have a C-4, but it's a '67 core, so you would want to do the input shaft upgrade anyway, just for converter selection, by the time you do that, it makes more sense to start with a  $100 aod core.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2018, 05:30:17 PM »
You think its expensive over there. Try landing one in Australia!

For me it was about being bulletproof. While power handling capability is well above what I need I wanted something I would never have to worry about. My C6 was fresh, strong & fitted both mechanically & aesthetically (shifter with console etc). I also intend to keep the car for a long time. I do wish however I had bought the short option & dropped the trans to fit it.

Had I been starting from scratch I may have gone a different path.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 10:16:33 PM by 66FAIRLANE »

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2018, 11:16:02 AM »
Yes, for me, I am starting from ground zero, so the AOD makes sense. I do have a C-4, but it's a '67 core, so you would want to do the input shaft upgrade anyway, just for converter selection, by the time you do that, it makes more sense to start with a  $100 aod core.

Agree.  My problem here is last time I asked the local yard wanted $250 for a junker AOD, say what?  Dang people.  I have one 67 core somewhere that I would consider a "driver" trans.  All the stuff we really beat on is 70 up.  I do have a C4 with the "351M/400/429/460 bell" stashed away too.  That one was a freebie LOL.  So was the virgin bore 400 block.  Oh, now just a minute here....   ;D