Author Topic: Anybody have experience using-----  (Read 7905 times)

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Re: Anybody have experience using-----
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2018, 02:47:26 PM »
Yup, the P type is the kind to use.
I run ATI SuperF in mine, works fine, I really don't pay attention to it.  Sometimes I try to remember and check the fluid.
Seems if I fill it properly it leaks out a fuzz until it finds it's happy place and just stays there.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2018, 02:52:21 PM »
Drew you dont happen to know the difference of a J from a P there is so
much different information on that subject so some of it must be wrong
From just two extra teflon seals to complete different inards

And sorry TJ it is a conical clutch not a band was to tired last night
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 03:09:28 PM by Heo »

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2018, 03:09:51 PM »
I have three of them in different vehicles. I bought all mine used on Ebay. They ranged from $750-$1300. All work fine. If you are not opposed to used units, they come up every so often on Ebay or if you like scrounging in salvage yards look in 80s era RVs. A lot of them were used there. As mentioned, the "P" type units are a lot better and can be easily recognized by the large GM turbo 400 type speedometer gear in the tailshaft housing.

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2018, 03:19:05 PM »
Can anyone explain to me how the shifting (especially down shifting) works.  I'd like to have one behind the 4 speed manual in my F250 but I'm wondering how I'd go from OD 4th gear to regular 4th gear.   When I come to a hill with my camper hitched, I don't want to just jam it into regular 4th and break something.  Do I clutch and then press the gear vendor shift button as if I was shifting the stick?  Maybe give it a little gas to balance rpm with ground speed?
I have one behind the T19 four speed in my '67 F250. They recommend you push the clutch in about halfway when shifting in/out of overdrive. You can shift without using the clutch but it bangs really hard. I have an Eaton two-speed switch mounted on my shifter handle and I just press/pull it as I push the clutch in. I takes a little practice to get a nice smooth transition but you'll get the hang of it real quick.   

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2018, 04:48:29 PM »

I did the math on AOD capable of surviving 600hp and slicks vs a c6 +GV.
I did NOT buy my GV at retail, I took a salvage unit and rebuilt it.
Even at retail The C6/GV won out.....
Your math might look differently, but when you figure all the work to get an AOD to survive, plus that fact that I used nothing but stock parts in my c6, plus convertor cost, etc, the c6 makes more and more sense.

My comment was specifically directed towards falcon67, his combo is no where NEAR 600hp, in fact, it’s virtually the same as mine. At that power level, an aod with the epoxy mod and a Bauman kit, in conjunction with a non-lockup converter is perfectly adequate. Running the non-lockup converter negates any need To replace the two piece input shaft at that power level, so for falcon67’s application, the cost of the aod is more or less the same as the cost of the C-6 WITHOUT the GV. So yes, my math comes out a little different than yours. And yes, I build my own trans too, and I am building a C-6 for my blown FE combo, and no, it’s not stock, it’s costing me considerably more than what the aod to go behind my 480hp Cleveland is costing me. Horses for courses.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 05:14:35 PM by falcongeorge »

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2018, 05:27:10 PM »
I wasn't responding to you in particular George, just the universe as a whole :P
Nor disputing your findings at all, sorry if ya took it that, wasn't meant to be that way.

I was doing this I dunno, 6 years ago?  Seemed like for my specific situation at the time, my findings were accurate.  Progress rolls on, and folks should do their own research for their own setup.
For me, building an indestructible full roller c6 was a $500 deal.

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2018, 05:43:45 PM »
I wasn't responding to you in particular George, just the universe as a whole :P
Nor disputing your findings at all, sorry if ya took it that, wasn't meant to be that way.

I was doing this I dunno, 6 years ago?  Seemed like for my specific situation at the time, my findings were accurate.  Progress rolls on, and folks should do their own research for their own setup.
For me, building an indestructible full roller c6 was a $500 deal.
I’m also doing a full roller C-6 ( machining the parts to accept the Torrington bearings myself) with a Turbo-action valve body for my blown fe combo, it’s still costing more than the AOD. My comment was directed at falcon67 because my 351c/aod combo is so similar to his, even to the point of going in a ‘67 Falcon. The real question for falcon67’s situation is how much he already has in the C-4, and whether it’s worth buying a new converter and so on just to get the OD.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2018, 05:25:02 PM »
Here is a link to my install if interested. By the way, I like it a lot.

http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=169.0

TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2018, 08:09:12 PM »
Can anyone explain to me how the shifting (especially down shifting) works.  I'd like to have one behind the 4 speed manual in my F250 but I'm wondering how I'd go from OD 4th gear to regular 4th gear.   When I come to a hill with my camper hitched, I don't want to just jam it into regular 4th and break something.  Do I clutch and then press the gear vendor shift button as if I was shifting the stick?  Maybe give it a little gas to balance rpm with ground speed?
I have one behind the T19 four speed in my '67 F250. They recommend you push the clutch in about halfway when shifting in/out of overdrive. You can shift without using the clutch but it bangs really hard. I have an Eaton two-speed switch mounted on my shifter handle and I just press/pull it as I push the clutch in. I takes a little practice to get a nice smooth transition but you'll get the hang of it real quick.

Cool.  Thanks for the info.  That's the detail I wanted to know.  Also liked the pic.

NIsaacs

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2018, 06:00:31 AM »
Anyone have any experience using the gear vender overdrive products either good or bad? And yes, they are expensive. Also, what about alternative products you might recommend? Thak You! https://www.gearvendors.com/hrford3s.html

What will your application be?
2021 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins of course!
2017 Ford Escape, 2.0 Eco Boost
2001 Ram 2500 4x4 QC short bed, Cummins, 6spd, some mods
1991 Dodge D250, reg cab, Cummins, 5spd, mods
1974 F-350, Cummins, 5spd, 3spd aux, mods
1975 F-250 4x4, 428, C-6, Sled Puller

james

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2018, 09:32:16 AM »
My application would be for a 427 stroked to 482 with 370 gears in a 1964 ford falcon with c6 3 speed manual valve body. Also on my other car would it be worth it if I used 350 gears with the jon kaase boss 460 blocked stroked to 572 with c6 manual valve body? Thanks!

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2018, 10:56:56 AM »
I have three of them in different vehicles. I bought all mine used on Ebay. They ranged from $750-$1300. All work fine. If you are not opposed to used units, they come up every so often on Ebay or if you like scrounging in salvage yards look in 80s era RVs. A lot of them were used there. As mentioned, the "P" type units are a lot better and can be easily recognized by the large GM turbo 400 type speedometer gear in the tailshaft housing.
That's interesting, with price tag for a new one, I never really considered them viable, I never realized you could pick them up used in the 1k range.
For me, I have little to no interest in doing the drag week thing (I have a small child, spending a week going off and playing with cars is just not in the cards) and I am retired, so I don't have to commute, even in my truck, I rarely use the od, and it has 4.56s, for the majority of the driving I do, steep gearing is fine, but it you can get a GV for around a grand, that does make it more interesting.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 10:00:20 PM by falcongeorge »

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2018, 09:49:51 PM »
About a zillion years ago I bought a basket case '59 Austin Healey 100-6 with a three litre engine and a Laycock de Normanville OD-equipped trans.

The transmission was laying across the seats in the car and the front suspension was all in pieces. I put the front back together and had the trans gone through. When I got it running, I discovered that at about 90-95 MPH it would spontaneously shift out of OD and the engine revs would jump by the difference in the final drive and the OD ratio. It never hurt anything, but it WAS disconcerting so I learned to keep the car at just below the 'jump' point. I sold it fifty years ago, and last I knew the new owner still had it. I'll have to ask him if it still has that characteristic.

KS

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2018, 09:28:16 AM »
George, i forget how much, but I think I bought my first GV for $300. 
Mind you I had nothing to put it in and it sat in my shop for 8 years, but still.....

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2018, 10:48:49 AM »
I agree its some about cost.  Personally, I could do fine with a mid 90s AOD and a few upgrade parts because I don't intend to make 1xxx HP ever.  600 would be about the limit my budget could produce and that's plenty.  My home built roller C4 has seen a lot of use up to 500 HP with no issues, so I'm sure I could build up a AOD easily for much less than a GV unit.