Author Topic: Well summer ended when I blew my TKO Saturday at Milan Dragway  (Read 8670 times)

66sevets

• View Profile
Re: Well summer ended when I blew my TKO Saturday at Milan Dragway
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2018, 11:20:48 AM »
Thanks for good advice!
Steve M.

KjcfeF100

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2018, 09:01:24 PM »
I had missed this post, sorry to hear your issues, but I had almost the exact same thing happen with my TKO in 2016.  I had it face plated, and it shifted well at all RPMs.  Making a pass at the strip, I shifted into 3rd and nothing was there, just broke all the teeth off 3rd, and split the front of the case, even with a TKO "girdle" on it......... Seems the TKO is a good street trans, but not meant for abuse on the drag-strip with any significant power and/or vehicle weight. I've since gone with a GF-5R and it's been great at the strip, but it sucks not having the OD gear on the street.

JamesonRacing

• 1966 - What a great year for FOMOCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2018, 09:10:57 AM »
I'm running a mostly stock TKO in my street car, runs 11.40s at 122, 12-inch McLeod diaphragm clutch package on an aluminum flywheel.  Lots of miles and passes, no issues, except third gear synchro is mad at me.  Sorry to read about the issues you're having.
1966 Fairlane GT, Silver Blue/Black 496/C4 (9.93@133)
1966 Fairlane GT, Nightmist Blue/Black 465/TKO (11.41@122)
1966 Fairlane GTA Conv, Antique Bronze/Black, 418EFI/C6
1966 F250 C/S, Rangoon Red, 445/T19
1965 Falcon Futura 4-door, Turquoise, EF! Z2363/4R70W

wowens

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2018, 07:01:35 AM »
Went through 3 TKO 600's. 1st one stock, 2nd two with all add on metal treatments and faceplates. Shelled 3rd gear all 3 times. Twin disc clutch on 3 shelled trannies with 28" MY  DOT slicks. It got expensive so I quit the dragstrip, I like my 5 speed on the street.
Woody

MrT427

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2018, 09:26:02 AM »
66sevets,
Had the very same issue with axle studs and steel wheels. C-4, T-brake used here with 1.36 60' but still bent all the studs after two launches. Talked to Strange and they pointed out the steel wheels right away. Tapered lug and steel wheel has very little support for the stud and will try and cut it in two plus being too heavy. My 10" wheels weighed 32.5 lbs each bare. Strange also said a 5/8" stud may not be much better with steel wheels and that much power. Switched to Billet Specialties and a shanked lug and so far.....no more problems. Good Luck and LOVE your Comet.

wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2019, 08:27:29 PM »
Stuff sure has changed back when we raced we ran a 50 lb flywheel and a 9 bolt shaffer pressure plate.It was 3600 lbs i think it took two days to beef up the cross shaft all it did first time was bend.It was hell on your left leg but it never slipped
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 08:53:00 PM by wayne »

66sevets

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2019, 10:50:16 AM »
I was checking here for FERR info since I couldn't make it this year and Just noticed a bunch of post here since the last time I looked. Interesting to see so many blown TKO's! I was at the Detroit Autorama and saw some Tremek reps with a cutaway TKO. Couldn't help but go over and show them photos, they showed me what happens. They said the counter shaft flexes and showed me why. The counter shaft is supported on the ends of the shaft nothing in the middle, combined with the rotational force of the gears at high rpm and a 650 hp FE motor, it flexes in the middle going into third, 7000 rpm for me, the force makes it try to jump a tooth and takes out the whole thing. I've since had my TKO rebuilt by Liberty and just hung it in the Comet yesterday. Went back to steel wheels with 10 x 30 Firestone pie crust cheater slicks. When I took the Weld wheels off and put the steel wheels on it was amazing how much heavier the steel wheels are! I am putting all the exhaust and street parts back on it and drive it on the street. I made it too heavy for launching it hard at the track. So no drag race crash box for this one but some easy runs and shifting at 6,500 won't hurt. But I got a 10.80 out of it with 28 in Street ET's! Should have not put the 30 inch slicks on it but I had fun! I think it would have run a 10.50 if the trans didn't blow! I need a dedicated race car. 

Thanks, Steve
Steve M.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2019, 01:27:06 PM »
Friend ran TKO for years.  Got into low 10's and suddenly it was not putting up anymore.  Same deal, shaft spreads and wipes stuff out.   Any transmission does this.  Thus Liberty and Gforce offer a solution for the old 5 spd(Nash style) boxes to hold the shafts together(either bearings or handcuff).   Just no real room in a TKO to do this, plus how it goes together.
Larry