Author Topic: Well summer ended when I blew my TKO Saturday at Milan Dragway  (Read 8672 times)

66sevets

• View Profile
Well summer ended when I blew my TKO Saturday at Milan Dragway
« on: September 25, 2018, 07:11:09 AM »
posted this on the other forum too but I know there are guys that don't go there so I put it here too.

I was just trying to get 1 more weekend in after a summer of odd problems kept my car in the garage mostly. I started at beaver springs in April and only 4 runs in because I blew a header gasket and couldn't get at the bolts while laying under the car at the track. Ran 11.60 11.80 at 121 mph with 2.2 60 ft times and hitting the rev limiter, 7200, well before the traps. Went home watched some video that was posted and saw the rear bounce up at the hit so I change my upper shock mounts and stood my shocks up almost straight. while doing that I noticed the wheel studs were all bent on the drivers side. Changed the studs out and was thinking I didn't have the lug nuts torqued properly at beaver springs. Took it to time trials at Milan made sure everything was torque up, ran 11.30 at 123 with a 1.50 60ft time still hitting the rev limiter well before the traps. re torqued the wheels, went out again and bent the lugs again. The racers around me were suggesting it's the lug nuts. Took it home and put new studs in the drivers side got new lug nuts, also put some new 750 Quik Fuels on it, took it back the next time trials and ran 10.82 at 123 still finishing the last 200 ft on the rev limiter. Second run was 10.90 at 123 and I bent the studs again. I decided the steal Vintique wheels can't handle the power so I ordered some retro looking Weld Wheels and figured if I'm buying the wheels I might as well get some 30 inch tires in there to replace the 28's and bring my rpm's down. It took 6 weeks to get the rims and a week to get the tires to fit the rear of my Comet. I thought I was all set now! Took it out Saturday to the Nostalgia drags, lots of cars so only 1 time trial. Got to the line knowing I had only this one run so make it good. Got the slicks hot, got a decent launch, hit second no problem, third and didn't feel anything, played around with shifter and third was gone but 4th was there. Then I looked in the mirror and saw nothing but smoke behind me. got back to the pits and the passenger side of the case has a big crack and oil everywhere! I thought I was all set with this TKO, I bought it new from Liberty's, all face plated but the weak link I guess. Now I'm wondering if an auto is the way to go? Here's a photo of the car after the calamity. Sorry for the racers that had to wait for the cleanup!

edit to add motor info

482 pond block 4.24 x 4.25
Kieth Craft stage 2 heads
tunnel wedge
comp solid roller  ex 4869 296XSR   @ .050  258  lift .663 it actually was a 4876 lobe which is not in the catalog anymore but close to this
                          in 4877 298XSR   @ .050  260 lift .666
11.1 pump gas
Prec Oil rockers
Mahle pistons

« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 10:38:39 AM by 66sevets »
Steve M.

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Well summer ended when I blew my TKO Saturday at Milan Dragway
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 08:30:29 AM »
First, beautiful car, and congrats on knocking your 60' times down and cutting your ET by a big amount. What were you running before and why did you change to the QF's? Could you see or feel a difference with the change?

Sorry to hear about the breakage. Sounds like the TKO isn't up to the task of hard launches, but I think I'd be looking at a different tranny rather than going to an auto. That would take a lot of the fun out of it, in my opinion.

I'm also curious if you're running stock 1/2" wheel studs? Might be time to step up to 5/8". Seems a bit odd to only be bending the drivers side though. Have you looked at the axle stud holes to make sure they aren't wobbled out?
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 08:44:59 AM »
What Clutch are you running ?? Is this a adjustable Slipper Clutch ? I would guess the Trans breakage is Clutch related

66sevets

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 09:27:06 AM »
What Clutch are you running ?? Is this a adjustable Slipper Clutch ? I would guess the Trans breakage is Clutch related

I'm running a Mcleod RXT twin disc and I think you're right! But that being said do you think with a slipper it wouldn't break being over powered?

First, beautiful car, and congrats on knocking your 60' times down and cutting your ET by a big amount. What were you running before and why did you change to the QF's? Could you see or feel a difference with the change?

Sorry to hear about the breakage. Sounds like the TKO isn't up to the task of hard launches, but I think I'd be looking at a different tranny rather than going to an auto. That would take a lot of the fun out of it, in my opinion.

I'm also curious if you're running stock 1/2" wheel studs? Might be time to step up to 5/8". Seems a bit odd to only be bending the drivers side though. Have you looked at the axle stud holes to make sure they aren't wobbled out?

I was running a set of 600 set up like BJ Bk carbs which ran great. I changed to the QF's because I they were sitting in the boxes on the shelf calling out at me. I think the et improvement was more 60 ft time than carbs. I seemed to pick up 1 mph with the carb change but that's riding on the rev limiter for 200 ft or so.

I have 1/2 inch Strange studs and thought about upgrading to 5/8 but I think the steel wheels with the tapered lug nut is the problem also the cost of going to 5/8 I think I'll get new axles and go with 33 or 35 spline. If I was to put steel wheels on again I would use a truck style flanged lug nut. Guys at the track tell me the drivers side takes more abuse than passenger side, even my drivers side axle has a half spline of twist and passenger has none.

Not a good photo but the only one I have, it shows the bent studs from beaver springs which was worse than this photo shows.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 09:33:33 AM by 66sevets »
Steve M.

afret

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 09:53:15 AM »
Nice running car!  Sorry to hear about your trans.  I guess those steel wheels with the tapered seat nuts put too much stress in a small area on the studs.  Don't know if it would have made a difference but did the center hole in the wheel fit the pilot on the axle flange well?  Hope you get it running again soon.

66sevets

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 10:11:09 AM »
Nice running car!  Sorry to hear about your trans.  I guess those steel wheels with the tapered seat nuts put too much stress in a small area on the studs.  Don't know if it would have made a difference but did the center hole in the wheel fit the pilot on the axle flange well?  Hope you get it running again soon.

Yep the tapered nut gives it the ability to rock too, a flanged lug nut won't rock as easy. I think after the first bent set of studs the rims were shot too for racing. No the center doesn't pilot, I walked the pits looking at wheel centers for just that and most don't. Even the flange on the axle doesn't stick past the rotor. I'll have it for next summer hopefully beaver springs again.
Steve M.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 11:04:34 AM »
Yes, a 'slipper' clutch in high powered stick cars is almost mandated. We left the door slammer drag race scene long ago shortly before (or at the time) when slipper adjustable clutches came into vogue. Broke so many stick trannys it wasn't funny. Thought of plugging in a slushbox but then (mid 70's) auto trannys were still markedly slower and also prone to (case) breakage.

Today, it's amazing just how much an adjustable slipper 'saves' a tranny for a whole season, and more, yet 0-60' times are dead on and fast!

Perhaps folks here like Larry (Battlestar) will chime in on the benefits, ways to start out and how to adjust once the combo is running.
Bob Maag

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 12:27:41 PM »
How much do you street drive the Comet? To me, having a dual duty street strip car has too many compromises. A low pressure adjustable clutch and a transmission made for drag racing (G Force or Jerico) make for very reliable and reapeatable car at the strip, not something I would want to live with on the street though. I have been running McLeod Soft Lok clutches and Jerico DR4 transmissions in my Fairmont since 2000, and also used that same style of trans and clutch in my Mustang from 2003 until 2 years ago, and have made probably close to 1000 1/4 mile passes, and it that time, I have hurt the trans 3 times, and had the cluthes rebuilt every 2 to 3 years.  Personally, I would rather quit racing than put an automatic in my Fairmont again! I did run the Fairmont with an automatic from 1988 thru 1999, just going from the automatic (with a 8" convertor and transbrake, launching at WOT at 5200 RPM) to the Jerico knocked 1/2 second of the ET and gained 6 MPH. And if you do drive on the street much, a slushbox with a loose torque convertor gets pretty old in a hurry too.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

66sevets

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 01:36:56 PM »
I haven't driven it on the street this year at all. It"s a handful and very loud on the street. Clanging locker and face plated gears I think it scares people. I've got a Mustang with a beefed up c4, I hate it and have been collecting parts to convert it to a stick. I need to save some money! does a Jerico fit toploader bellhousing?
Steve M.

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 01:41:08 PM »
Jerico is based off of the Ford Top Loader and bolts right in , G-Force is another good company for Manuals …. I run the sof-loc clutch on street and it's not an ideal package for street

66sevets

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 02:04:08 PM »
I really want the stick not an auto I thought I was good with the TKO but in the back of my mind I knew I had the wrong clutch. I think I even told Rory that at beaver springs.
Steve M.

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2018, 04:23:17 PM »
As previously mentioned, a Jerico will bolt up to a regular toploader application bellhousing. Jericos have multiple mounting holes for the front case to bell and has trans mount provisions for Ford, GM and MoPar mounts and locations. They also have  the tailhousing drilled and tapped for the shifter mounting to be almost anywhere you would want. Jericos as well as G Force G101As are available with several different input shaft spline configurations and lengths. Not a big deal if you are buying new, but you may need to change the input shaft and front bearing retainer if you buy a used trans from a different application. When I bought my first Jerico, it had been used in a BB Chevy Super Stock Corvette, so I had to buy a new input and retainer to use it behind my FE. Luckily when I bought the 2nd Jerico for my SB 85 Mustang, it was already setup for a FOX Mustang, so I didn`t need to change anything.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

66sevets

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2018, 04:50:07 PM »
As previously mentioned, a Jerico will bolt up to a regular toploader application bellhousing. Jericos have multiple mounting holes for the front case to bell and has trans mount provisions for Ford, GM and MoPar mounts and locations. They also have  the tailhousing drilled and tapped for the shifter mounting to be almost anywhere you would want. Jericos as well as G Force G101As are available with several different input shaft spline configurations and lengths. Not a big deal if you are buying new, but you may need to change the input shaft and front bearing retainer if you buy a used trans from a different application. When I bought my first Jerico, it had been used in a BB Chevy Super Stock Corvette, so I had to buy a new input and retainer to use it behind my FE. Luckily when I bought the 2nd Jerico for my SB 85 Mustang, it was already setup for a FOX Mustang, so I didn`t need to change anything.

That's good advice! Things I never thought about. I was looking at racing junk and there are a few, new is big bucks I don't have. might have look for stuff to sell!
Steve M.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2018, 09:25:55 PM »
Be careful buying the used Jericos. You'll want to make sure you have a source for the correct input shaft, because Jerico is no longer producing the DR4 OR the parts for them. It has been upgraded to the DR4-4, and from what I've gathered, parts are not interchangeable. As you've seen on Racing Junk, there are lots of the older units for sale (and for the very reasons I stated, I believe), and they are at reasonable prices, but I'd want to know for sure that it has either been recently serviced with good parts or that you have a source for those parts lined up. Parts will eventually dry up and then you'll be left holding a useless tranny. Most of the guys here that run them either already have a spare or have some parts for them, or at least know where to get some for the time being.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

ec164

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2018, 11:03:41 PM »
Hi Steve, Sorry to hear of your mis-fortunes! You did do a Great job lowering your Et, your Comet looks awesome in that picture! Good Luck on your decision over the next few months in what to purchase. Those 30" tall tires must of been fun getting to fit, also if you change axles just get 35 spline and a good spool, you don't drive enough on the street to worry much, in my opinion. Take Care....Al
You're ahead in a Mercury......all the way