Author Topic: Holley 3 Barrels - Opinions wanted  (Read 9515 times)

wsu0702

• View Profile
Holley 3 Barrels - Opinions wanted
« on: July 13, 2018, 11:01:27 PM »
I am still trying to decide which carb to run on the big cubic inch FE street/strip build that I am currently collecting parts for.  I have been researching the Holley 3 barrel carbs recently and I am really impressed with what everyone has to say about them.  It sounds like the biggest issue is that it takes some trial n error to eliminate the "secondary bog".  But once you figure that out they are a top notch carb for street/strip applications. Should I spend the time/money to locate and purchase one of these rare carbs or would I be better off going with a modern big CFM carb.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 11:07:03 PM by wsu0702 »

Pentroof

• View Profile
Re: Holley 3 Barrels - Opinions wanted
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 07:44:18 AM »
...once you figure that out they are a top notch carb for street/strip applications

I've never heard that. If the 3160 was the hot ticket, Holley would have made a bunch more and would still be making them.
I'll never build another carb'd motor, but based on input from others, a 3160 would not be on my list if I did. They were intended and used for big inch motors where finesse and driveability were of no concern. With poor secondary signal control, they were still outclassed by properly tuned 4150s and 4500s.
That said, I'm only repeating what I've been told by others. I've never played with one. That's how humans progress. Work with what has been proven to succeed and not replicate failure of others.
Jim

Machspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 10:36:20 AM »
They're not as rare as you may think they are. They are on eBay often but the prices vary and sometimes expensive. I don't know how much research you've done but I think they only made two versions, 950cfm and the 1050cfm (pictured). I considered using one after accuiring a partial 1050 assembly in a trade but I found that most of the guys that praised the performance of the three barrel carbs over modern day carbs we're simply just having trouble letting go of the"glory days". I still have the three barrel parts and they are a cool conversation piece but that's all they will ever be for me. If you're not going for a period correct type build you will be much happier with correctly matched modern four barrel carburetor. The only upside I see in using a three carburetor is when you are telling someone the details of your car and the look on their face when you say three barrel.

1967 XR7 GT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 01:42:28 PM »
I decided to try the 3 barrel, I picked up a new 1050 to play with on my build. I had seen one ran on the dyno on you tube and did some research afterwards.

So there are stories of the bog when the secondaries open, and a fix was to extend the primary shooter to the secondary, then make it mechanical instead of vacuum, and I don't know if that was done just on the 1050 or if it was needed on the 950 ?

So, there are 3 versions the 3616-1S 950 CFM the 4604 S 1050 CFM and a later version of the 4604 S rated at 950 CFM but this one came with Annular boosters in the rear.

The reasons production on the 3 barrels stopped was because demand stopped after Holley came out with the Dominators.

I wanted vacuum secondaries for a street car and the larger modern day carbs are double pumpers, so I will try some modern day tech and years of peoples tuning experience on an older carb and see what happens.
Richard

"Frankly, I'm tired of hearing all the complaints; makes me wonder why I bother hosting this forum."

Royce

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 01:47:09 PM »
Way back in the days before cammers, Jay did a bunch of carb dyno tests..  Pretty much everything with a lot of CFM he could get his hands on.. His friend JC brought a 3bbl over to try.  Not sure if it was 950 or 1050. IIRC it was one of the top performers of the group.. The reason for their existence was to get more cfm out of the 4150 architecture..That became unnecessary with the introduction of the 4500. As organized as Jay is, I bet he has those results at his fingertips.
1955 Thunderbird Competition Coupe Altered Chassis "War Bird" 383 Lincoln Y block 520 hp
1955 Thunderbird 292 275 hp Y Block
1956 Ford Victoria 292 Y block

1957 Mercury 2dr Wagon "Battle Wagon" drag car 
1957 Thunderbird Glass body Tube Chassis drag car 333 cu in 500 hp Ford Y block
1961 Starliner 390/375 clone
1965 GT40 tribute w/FE
1966 Falcon Pro Touring project
Kaase Boss 547. 840 HP 698 Torque  pump gas
1992 BMW V-12 5.0
2001 Lincoln 5.4 4 cam.
1968 Cougar XR7

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 02:02:49 PM »
Nothing wrong with a 3 barrel except finding parts for them, and finding one with the choke still intact.  They can run great
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 02:15:31 PM »
I had a customer bring in a 950.  Between us we had another four or five carbs to try including some newer HP stuff.  Darn 3 barrel finished on top of the pile....airflow wins

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 02:50:36 PM »

This '56 Sedan Delivery, "The Crusin' Missle", was built by our friend JC many years ago, featured in Hot Rod at one time. JC sold it to our friend "Polka" Jimmy probably 25 years ago. Powered by a 460 with a Holley 3 bbl. Jimmy still cruise's it quite a bit, still has the 3 bbl. Unfortunately Neither JC or Jimmy are on the forum or Internet to give us their opinion lol.

I have a couple Holley 3bbl's, tried one at the dragstrip many years ago on my 428 powered bracket car one test day when I was doing some carb testing, if I remember it edged out my 850 double pumper with just a touch more mph. This was in a 12 second car at the time, nothing too wild. I didn't try it on the street at the time, just didn't have time. I plan on possibly testing it again on the 427 tunnel port I have going together, if we use the single 4V intake.

One thing I'll note - my 3bbl carb still had the choke flap and I found that with the throttle open it would suck the choke plate closed, I had to tie it open with a zip tie to the air cleaner stud for my test. The choke plate on the 3bbl is controlled by a short cable on the carb, so it doesn't positively stay open by a "hard" link like a regular Holley. I wouldn't necessarily worry if a Holley 3 bbl you find is missing the choke, if you think your application will start fine without a choke anyway.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 02:58:56 PM by thatdarncat »
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 03:02:57 PM »
I used to play with them a lot and still have one of each size i am sure the new stuff is more street friendly.The time i last  used one was on a well built 351c it was the best carb we tried.When i get the 428 done i am working i will try one yes they used to make squirters for the back i think i still have a new one some place.

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 03:13:59 PM »
I'll add, be sure if you buy a used one it has the proper vacuum secondary diaphragm with a good and intact diaphragm inside, that's the one part not available new, to my knowledge. There are a couple unscrupulous sellers on eBay who are trimming the available Mopar 6-pack diaphragms with a sissors into a more square shape and calling them NOS at a jacked up price, but it's easy to see they've been modified if you know what an original looks like, and I doubt they seal well. At least if you want to try that don't pay their inflated price. Last I checked gasket kits were still available. The rear metering plate to main body gasket is unique since the boosters are closer together on a 3bbl.
Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 03:20:08 PM »
I used to play with them a lot and still have one of each size i am sure the new stuff is more street friendly...

I'd agree with that, with the array of carbs available now days with 4 corner idle screws, replaceable air bleeds, etc., probably some easier & better choices, but then you wouldn't have the fun of explaining a 3 bbl to people  ;)
Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 03:41:50 PM »
I think daytona carbs will still make a new secondary diaphragm.

fordman460

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 05:11:37 PM »
I used my 1050 w/choke and a vac/pod and link of of an 1850. My choke works and has a very stiff spring on it. No chance of being sucked closed! Was on a stock 460, c-6, 3.70 gears. Later added a Crane cam and headers. Had the 3 barrel spacer on a marine (cj type) intake. Ran great. I did make my own calibrated metering block from a 3310-1. Have to do another as I use that one on a different carb now. Going to have Drew pretty it up for me.

wsu0702

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2018, 12:06:13 AM »
Ok thanks everyone.  One thing I forgot to ask is if I will have any clearance issues with my 69 shaker scoop air cleaner base?

1967 XR7 GT

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2018, 05:33:46 AM »
The clearance issue with your air cleaner base, I can not answer that question, but the only thing I can think of is if the larger diaphragm housing would interfere with your base ?

wayne is correct, https://www.daytonaparts.com/ has kits with the correct gaskets, not gaskets from other models poorly cut to fit, which is what is sold on ebay.  The kits are $60, and the correct secondary diaphragm is also $60, I had called an inquired about the kits & diaphragm, when I was looking to purchase a used one, but ended up getting a NOS one.

Richard

"Frankly, I'm tired of hearing all the complaints; makes me wonder why I bother hosting this forum."