Author Topic: Holley 3 Barrels - Opinions wanted  (Read 9519 times)

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Re: Holley 3 Barrels - Opinions wanted
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2019, 08:08:15 PM »
For sure George, for sure.
Point was not to judge by cfm alone.

1967 XR7 GT

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2019, 04:22:50 PM »
...once you figure that out they are a top notch carb for street/strip applications

I've never heard that. If the 3160 was the hot ticket, Holley would have made a bunch more and would still be making them.
I'll never build another carb'd motor, but based on input from others, a 3160 would not be on my list if I did. They were intended and used for big inch motors where finesse and driveability were of no concern. With poor secondary signal control, they were still outclassed by properly tuned 4150s and 4500s.
That said, I'm only repeating what I've been told by others. I've never played with one. That's how humans progress. Work with what has been proven to succeed and not replicate failure of others.
from what I heard (so take it FWIW), the 4500's replaced the 3 bbls because the 3bbls were more expensive to manufacture, not because of any shortcomings in the 3bbl. I have 2, so I may be biased. Then again, I also have a 4500, so....

Back in 1964 Chrysler had Holley make the 1st 950 cfm 3 barrel List #3085 for their Nascar Hemi, but it wasn't till around 67 that Holley released them for public consumption till around 69.

The only thing wrong with the 3 barrel are tunning issues, like any other carb out of the box, issues Holley never addresed, they just moved to the 4500.
Richard

"Frankly, I'm tired of hearing all the complaints; makes me wonder why I bother hosting this forum."

1967 XR7 GT

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2019, 05:17:36 PM »
Tunning tips I learnd after I had picked up my 950 3 barrel, as it turns out the correct front metering plate was swapped out, the correct ones are #5616. I tried finding one and couldn't, but I did find a metering plate from the 950 chrysler had made in 64 list #4328.

The tunning issues of the 67 & later 950 & 1050 3 barrels, were not present in the 64 950. During my research It was mentioned why Holley just didn't copy the tunning of the earleir 950, something about meeting smog requirments in 67.

The 67 and later 3 barrels issues were pig rich idle and a bad bog.  The fix is to open the PVCR's on the 5615 blocks from .040" to .093" as they are .093" on the 64 blocks. For an example reference, the Holley 850 dbl pumper pri metering blocks PVCR's are .070", the differences between the 850 block and the 950 blocks are the 950 blocks have E-Tubes in the channel and require a slightly larger PVCR to make up for the flow restriction caused by the E-Tubes. Primary tunning and jetting would be as you would any 850, secondary tunning and jetting would be as you would any vaccum secondary carb, like choosing the proper vaccum pod spring tension for opening the secondary.
Richard

"Frankly, I'm tired of hearing all the complaints; makes me wonder why I bother hosting this forum."

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2019, 01:39:58 AM »
The mechanical secondary modification for the 3 barrel and the 3310, consisted of a tube, with a Y at the end. It pressed into the accelerator pump nozzle and extended across, to the back of the air horn. You drilled two holes, one on each side of the air cleaner stud boss, for the Y to feed the secondary's and you had to used the 50cc pump diaphragm. There were kits listed for them and I have seen quite a few 3310's, with those holes in the air horns, over the years but, the Y adapter missing.

When they came on the market, the 3 barrels where fairly cheap (at least in So Cal) and the 3310 was very affordable. I bought 2 of the 3310's for a MT, cross ram manifold, in '68 or '69.

Frank
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 01:43:26 AM by frnkeore »
Frank

1967 XR7 GT

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2019, 04:12:04 PM »
The kits not only had the shooter that extended to the secondaries, there were 2 half gears that made the secondaries mechanically open 1 to 1 with the primary, with the vacuum canister removed.   I think the kits were a bandade because people couldn't properly tune them.

The mechanical secondary modification for the 3 barrel and the 3310, consisted of a tube, with a Y at the end. It pressed into the accelerator pump nozzle and extended across, to the back of the air horn. You drilled two holes, one on each side of the air cleaner stud boss, for the Y to feed the secondary's and you had to used the 50cc pump diaphragm. There were kits listed for them and I have seen quite a few 3310's, with those holes in the air horns, over the years but, the Y adapter missing.

When they came on the market, the 3 barrels where fairly cheap (at least in So Cal) and the 3310 was very affordable. I bought 2 of the 3310's for a MT, cross ram manifold, in '68 or '69.

Frank
Richard