Author Topic: Scott Foxwell I apologize if I....  (Read 10815 times)

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Re: Scott Foxwell I apologize if I....
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2018, 09:21:56 PM »
You are all wrong, a person can only achieve Cosmic FE union through me.... there is NO other way.

/thread

FERoadster

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2018, 09:45:19 PM »
I always was amazed at his discussion about rocker adjustment. Something I'd never thought about but it did wake me up. What ever he  said???

Richard >>> FERoadster

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2018, 02:25:27 PM »
  IF a person gets "under my skin" to the point where I want to call him names or insult him to the "nth" degree , I do it in a PM.  It's "my" disagreement  with that person not anyone else's. Besides , "I" could be wrong , not him! The point is be respectful of others when "talking in public".  Forum dog piles are never productive unless it's to warn others of theft or other illegal activities .
   Just this old man's view.

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2018, 05:10:57 PM »
But, it is difficult to have everything you try to say criticized, nixed, corrected in his eyes, or they have done it better, longer, or theirs cost more, or made more horsepower, etc., etc..  Cannot say with a clear conscience that the forum was better with him here.  Check out his Chevy posts on Speed Talk sometimes.  A Chevy guy builds a one or two Fords, and thinks he is God's gift to the Ford community.  Some of us have specialized in Fords, and would rather walk than drive a Chevrolet.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2018, 06:33:14 PM »
What would have deescalated the situation would have been the use of the words, "It's been my experience........"

From this point on, I will try and use those words more myself. 

Just as Blair piped up and gave his example about the conical springs cutting out 70 lbs of valve spring pressure from a SS engine, it would have been more beneficial to the entire thread if Scott would have just said, "Here's my experience....." and then left it alone. 

We also have to remember that all of the FE builders on here have a significant customer base.  I have several sets of heads that I have just assembled and setup with beehives for customers.  The last thing I need is a mass phone call session where I have to explain my choice of valve springs because one particular person poo-poo'd all over them. 

The last thing I'll note is that the "wizards" comment really got to me.   I didn't sit in the corner sobbing with my head in my hands, but it just seemed like a direct (but somewhat "behind our back") uppercut to all of us who specialize in FE's.   I don't know if the intent was to discount our experience levels or what, but there seemed to be a message of "Don't let these guys fool you, the FE is nothing special."

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Gregwill16

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2018, 07:20:37 PM »
Scott seemed to be an overall nice guy that was willing to help, but he also came into another world (FE's) besides his own and seemed to have a chip on his shoulder. I hate to say it guys but what do you expect as we have all seen as die hard Ford fans, he had a side that was typical Chevy guy. I also found it very interesting like Joe that he came in here for a while gaining recognition then builds 1 FE, posts obtainable but very optimistic numbers and then finds a lame reason to bail. As has been mentioned, we all have opinions but there tactful ways to express them IF you want to actually get along and you have to be extra careful communicating in a forum setting.

Posi67

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2018, 08:35:10 PM »
Well, at least he didn't leave forever numerous times only to be back within an hour or two. I'm another one who saw some good info in his posts but many of us low buck home engine builders can't and don't take a cut and dried approach to things which is the way Scott came across. His way or no way with no regard to other proven experiences. The shimming rocker stand thread was a good example.

I'm fine if he returns and shares and fine if he doesn't. Taking your ball and going home because someone doesn't agree with you seems a bit thin skinned to me.   

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2018, 08:54:55 PM »
I have known Mr. Foxwell a little bit outside of the forum/FE world.  He is actually a pretty sharp engine builder and knows his stuff.  In person he is fairly easy to talk to and discuss things with.  His web/written persona is more brusque and blunt than he is in person - might just be his writing style.  His choice of words and confrontational style could be softened up a bit, but that would no longer be "Scott".

Although I sometime disagree with some things posted from time to time I try to keep an open mind and always learn things from others efforts.  I "reserve the right" to challenge ideas, parts, and results that I find attention grabbing, and equally expect similar challenges to things I say or results I post if they fall outside of expected norms.  We are here to learn, and if we as a group do not share our accumulated learnings the next generation will not care about what we have done or how we did it.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2018, 10:31:36 PM »
Very well said!

KS

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2018, 11:02:42 PM »
Well kiss my grits, fellers!  It ain't that big of a deal, lol.  Until recently, I never heard of the guy, on this forum or the old FE net54 site.  Apparently he works on BB Chevs regular?  He basically did show up here on our ball field, and proceeded to tell pretty much everyone here.........over one thing or another.... that we weren't playing the right game on our field, and our bats and gloves all suck, and hell......we can't play ball anyway.  Like Tommy Lee Jones said in the Fugitive.... "I don't care".  Maybe he's an okay guy, and maybe he has forgot more than our dumb asses know.  I think there are a lot of long-time FE guys that are here, and a lot who came from old net54 who agree that he came across wrong here.  Maybe he will read all the comments, tone down his critical tone, and rejoin.  That would be just peachy.  I don't think any of us wish him any bad luck in life...... it's just a FE talk tank here.  However, I won't miss the way he conducted himself the first go-around.  I'll bet we have all done things that we wish we could do-over in hindsight.  I'll bet Jay would hook him right back up.
Blair Patrick

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2018, 11:09:38 PM »
Blair, I couldn't agree more. With your southern Tennessee way of speaking, you always hit the nail on the head, in plain talk.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2018, 01:01:58 AM »
It is a well known bit of behavioural psychology that all communication in writing is more powerful and potentially offensive than the same thing said on the phone, and the same thing said in person is even less likely to offend. In person, and to some extent on the phone, we have tone of voice, posture and other queues to read, and most important we can respond to the reaction of the listener.

In writing it is just the bare words and the momentary attitude of the reader. An absolute truth from my selling career is "DON'T TRY TO SELL ON THE PHONE",  and absolutely NEVER in writing. I would fly 18 hours one way for a one hour meeting rather than do it on the phone. Sounds extreme, but when we were selling big contracts in the software business (with pretty much 100% margins so a lost deal didn't come with the comfort that at least you didn't have to build the thing) a small misunderstanding could kill a deal.

When reading someone's note you need to try and read it in a friendly mindset, and when writing it you need to expect a hostile reader. Scott often failed at the later, and some of us may have occasionally failed at the former. Remember the written word is very intense.

I'm sorry he took his bat and ball and went home.
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2018, 11:38:35 AM »
I would like to observe that one of the reasons I really enjoy this forum is the level of respect show in the comments given.
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2018, 11:51:33 AM »
I read it that Drew is hosting some sort of Comic FE reunion? 

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2018, 11:55:49 AM »
It's not what ya say, it's how you say it!

I think he brought up some things that made for good discussion but his "how he said it" was a good way to flamed on any forum.  Luckily this forum is more professional or he would have left long ago.  I had stirred the pot on the n54 forum a few times but I am not going to pack it up and leave over a pissing match.  Maybe his pity party will end and he will man-up and re-join.  No harm no foul ya know.

Point is to learn/share knowledge and experiences and removing all your input only hurts anyone that is lurking/learning in the shadows....I lurked for a long time before building my first ever engine thanks to many of the posts/posters here and elsewhere.  Now if I could only find time to finish the rest of the truck!  ???