Author Topic: A 556ci popcorn popper.....  (Read 9758 times)

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
A 556ci popcorn popper.....
« on: May 08, 2018, 02:36:22 PM »
The lovely sound of 15:1 compression idling....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9iv5Ygc-7s

Made 1201 hp @ 8500 with 817 lb-f of torque with this 556ci BBF yesterday. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4jQZKNKUCs

On that video, the pull took a little longer than it should have and we actually dead-headed the pump.  That's why it sounds flat at the very end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N4fNaEIuIY

« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 02:37:56 PM by blykins »
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

XR7

• View Profile
Re: A 556ci popcorn popper.....
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 03:14:19 PM »
Has a pretty good "bark" to it! Sounds good! What heads are on it? A460, C460, Profiler... or? Head flow and cam specs (ball park...)???
68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 03:17:44 PM »
Profiler 221 heads, *way* over 500 cfm on the intake side. 

Cam is a Comp 280H.  Except with .975" lift....and 60mm....and with a Coyote firing order.   ;D
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

NIsaacs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 05:19:51 PM »
Good thing Fred has all his teeth, I can see his smile from Arizona! Good job, Brent! Now Fred will have to control that power and get it to the ground. I have faith in him, he has a good working knowledge of what it takes.

I like the first video of the outside, love that crack at idle...should sound awesome in the truck. I will post some pulling videos as they become available, hopefully in June. I am thinking his class just got a new contender.

Nick
2021 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins of course!
2017 Ford Escape, 2.0 Eco Boost
2001 Ram 2500 4x4 QC short bed, Cummins, 6spd, some mods
1991 Dodge D250, reg cab, Cummins, 5spd, mods
1974 F-350, Cummins, 5spd, 3spd aux, mods
1975 F-250 4x4, 428, C-6, Sled Puller

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 05:51:59 PM »
Good thing Fred has all his teeth, I can see his smile from Arizona! Good job, Brent! Now Fred will have to control that power and get it to the ground. I have faith in him, he has a good working knowledge of what it takes.

I like the first video of the outside, love that crack at idle...should sound awesome in the truck. I will post some pulling videos as they become available, hopefully in June. I am thinking his class just got a new contender.

Nick

It's going to be a big learning curve for him.  I haven't typed out the spec sheet and note sheet yet, but there's a lot of things that he's going to have to do differently.....run a water/oil heater so that the engine temperature is optimal before he starts, try to get a tow around the track instead of driving everywhere, etc.  The valve springs will hopefully go a season but the less he runs the engine between pulls the better off he'll be.  Lash will need checked every night when he goes home.  He will have to either drain his fuel cell or cap off the vent because the C25 fuel will lose itself if left open to the air.  This engine has a belt drive distributor with a crank trigger.  Dry sump oil system.  Just a different scenario.

We were gaining 20 hp every 200 rpm on the last pull but cut it off at 8500.  Just no need to stress the engine by spinning it to the moon.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

Ghoughton

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 08:42:29 PM »
Wicked!!!!

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 07:37:05 AM »
Great results and one cool looking engine to boot!
Bob Maag

NIsaacs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 06:49:48 PM »

On that video, the pull took a little longer than it should have and we actually dead-headed the pump.  That's why it sounds flat at the very end.

Brent,

What is the story on this engine build? My brother said you no longer have any interest in maintaining it. That you don't have the time, energy or want to in helping him.

If I recall, part of the build quote was he would send it back to you after every season for a refresh.

As you know he has had a lot of trouble with it and so have you. When they blow up on the dyno at an idle, that is a bad sign. He lost all of the '19 season and had a real short '20 season.

He now, needs help with the engine vibration but your advice was to find a local machine shop/builder, what's up with that?

Since I recommended you, I am between a rock and a hard place here.....

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 11:06:06 AM »
The one in my buddy's pulling truck is 672 ci, 18:1 compression on alky with twin 5" Flying Toilets- barks pretty good

TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 11:37:50 AM »

Brent,

What is the story on this engine build? My brother said you no longer have any interest in maintaining it. That you don't have the time, energy or want to in helping him.

If I recall, part of the build quote was he would send it back to you after every season for a refresh.

As you know he has had a lot of trouble with it and so have you. When they blow up on the dyno at an idle, that is a bad sign. He lost all of the '19 season and had a real short '20 season.

He now, needs help with the engine vibration but your advice was to find a local machine shop/builder, what's up with that?

Hoping your brother at least tried to figure things out with Brent before this posting..especially considering the purpose for this toy...run it to the edge of holy heck pulling a sled for fun.  Not exactly a scenario for long life.  Lots of wild YouTube’s of trucks and tractors flying to pieces in amazing ways when sled pulling.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 12:53:56 PM »

Brent,

Hi Nick,

This is what I told Fred when he called Saturday morning:  I simply don't know if I can get it back to you in time for next year's season.  My business went up 50% since all this virus stuff started and between that and my broke back, I didn't think I could get it done in time.   There's only so much of me to go around and my missing L5S1 disc makes me a lot slower than I used to be.

Fred and I had an amicable (or so I thought) conversation and we even walked through some scenarios on what he's feeling, considering it was vibration free on the dyno when it left.  I offered to send him a new harmonic balancer to try before he pulled the engine out of the truck.

Now, since you're throwing in a couple other details, I'll explain for the crowd:  I lost an L19 rod bolt on the dyno while the engine was warming up.  Not my fault.  Fixed it on my dime. 

Also, he missed out on the 2019 season because he took the season off, not because of anything that I did.   The engine was sitting here and I was told that he was in no hurry because he wasn't planning on pulling last year (building new house, trying to sell store, etc.).  Also, from what I gathered (I could be wrong), he made every meet except for the one on October 3rd this year. 

My offer still stands to go through it, but again, I can't make any assurance that it would be back in time.   

I appreciate your recommendation, Nick, and I'm sorry that you were in the middle.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 01:10:11 PM by blykins »
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2020, 02:18:21 PM »
Seems like a phone call would have been a good way to handle this.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2020, 03:05:39 PM »
bought the best you can offer , seems to me .

NIsaacs

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2020, 06:30:52 PM »
Seems like a phone call would have been a good way to handle this.

Calls were made before, during and after, for 3 years. Typed words are not the same as the tone of the voice in a phone call....

NIsaacs

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2020, 06:56:08 PM »

Hi Nick,

This is what I told Fred when he called Saturday morning:  I simply don't know if I can get it back to you in time for next year's season.  My business went up 50% since all this virus stuff started and between that and my broke back, I didn't think I could get it done in time.   There's only so much of me to go around and my missing L5S1 disc makes me a lot slower than I used to be.

Fred and I had an amicable (or so I thought) conversation and we even walked through some scenarios on what he's feeling, considering it was vibration free on the dyno when it left.  I offered to send him a new harmonic balancer to try before he pulled the engine out of the truck.

Now, since you're throwing in a couple other details, I'll explain for the crowd:  I lost an L19 rod bolt on the dyno while the engine was warming up.  Not my fault.  Fixed it on my dime. 

Also, he missed out on the 2019 season because he took the season off, not because of anything that I did.   The engine was sitting here and I was told that he was in no hurry because he wasn't planning on pulling last year (building new house, trying to sell store, etc.).  Also, from what I gathered (I could be wrong), he made every meet except for the one on October 3rd this year. 

My offer still stands to go through it, but again, I can't make any assurance that it would be back in time.   

I appreciate your recommendation, Nick, and I'm sorry that you were in the middle.
[/quote]

Thanks Brent,

Without going into a full fledged review here, I am done now. To say were are disappointed is an understatement. You guys from the peanut gallery, just never mind, you don't know squat about what was and wasn't for the past three years.  Very complicated/complex and very expensive.

Nick