Author Topic: A 556ci popcorn popper.....  (Read 9770 times)

turbohunter

• View Profile
Re: A 556ci popcorn popper.....
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2020, 07:16:37 PM »

Thanks Brent,

Without going into a full fledged review here, I am done now. To say were are disappointed is an understatement. You guys from the peanut gallery, just never mind, you don't know squat about what was and wasn't for the past three years.  Very complicated/complex and very expensive.

Nick

Oh so now we’re the peanut gallery.
Let me remind that you were the one the put us in it by putting what should have been a private conversation between you and Brent into our forum. Thus my comment.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2020, 07:37:37 PM »
Thanks Brent,

Without going into a full fledged review here, I am done now. To say were are disappointed is an understatement. You guys from the peanut gallery, just never mind, you don't know squat about what was and wasn't for the past three years.  Very complicated/complex and very expensive.

Nick

Yep, you did invite the peanut gallery.  One thing this forum does well is call shenanigans when they happen.  It will be tough to get people to see your point of view if you’re going to exaggerate like you did...for instance saying the engine blew up when it actually just needed a special alloy bolt. I’m sure buying a max effort engine and flogging the bejeebers out of it can be expensive...maybe your expectations need calibrated.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 08:44:11 PM by TJ »

NIsaacs

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2020, 04:41:08 AM »
Thanks Brent,

Nick

Yep, you did invite the peanut gallery.  One thing this forum does well is call shenanigans when they happen.  It will be tough to get people to see your point of view if you’re going to exaggerate like you did...for instance saying the engine blew up when it actually just needed a special alloy bolt. I’m sure buying a max effort engine and flogging the bejeebers out of it can be expensive...maybe your expectations need calibrated.

Are you kidding? What happens when a rod bolt breaks? Why did it break?
2021 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins of course!
2017 Ford Escape, 2.0 Eco Boost
2001 Ram 2500 4x4 QC short bed, Cummins, 6spd, some mods
1991 Dodge D250, reg cab, Cummins, 5spd, mods
1974 F-350, Cummins, 5spd, 3spd aux, mods
1975 F-250 4x4, 428, C-6, Sled Puller

NIsaacs

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2020, 04:52:52 AM »

Thanks Brent,

Nick

Oh so now we’re the peanut gallery.
Let me remind that you were the one the put us in it by putting what should have been a private conversation between you and Brent into our forum. Thus my comment.

Why private? The build was public. Ever read public reviews so you can decide on a product?

TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2020, 05:27:02 AM »
Thanks Brent,

Nick

You introduced your situation to the public, I'm guessing to gain support for your position.  You said the engine blew up but it actually was repaired.  That means you are windy (i.e. bombastic).  People usually don't support a person who is blatantly windy.

Why did the bolt break?  I don't know. Have you been to at truck pull?

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2020, 06:22:25 AM »
I have no ill feelings toward anyone involved and as of Saturday morning, I do believe the intention was to send the engine back to me for a freshen-up, so I don't believe there were any ill feelings toward me either.   I simply told Fred that I didn't think I could get it back to him in time for next year's season.  To be straight up, I think I'd rather tell someone that, than be late getting an engine out the door and knock them out of half a season.   As a matter of fact, Fred is pretty handy, so I even pitched the idea of Fred disassembling the engine and then reassembling it with me throwing him refresh parts and walking him through different aspects of the build over the phone.  The talk of a local shop came up just when we were brainstorming about the possibility of a cracked/bent crankshaft and I thought that a local shop could spin it up and check it out.

To answer TJ,  I have no clue why the bolt broke and if there was an insinuation by anyone that it was my fault, I can simply say that both bolt shanks were still in the rod and screwed out freely, with the rod cap and bolt heads in the pan, with my white paint daubs on them, signifying that they had been torqued.  In addition to that, my build notes show the amount of stretch on every rod bolt, along with the torque/angle spec to get to that particular stretch number.  If I did something wrong, I'll throw my hands up in the air and just say I have no idea what it is.   The additional kick in the pants was that they were all BRAND NEW rod bolts from ARP, as I replace them every season, whether they need it or not.  With all of that being said, as soon as it happened, I called Fred and told him.  I certainly didn't get any satisfaction from doing that, but I wanted to be transparent.  In the end, Fred wasn't out a penny, but I took about a $3000 hit in fixing it all. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

NIsaacs

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2020, 06:37:26 AM »
Thanks Brent,

Nick

You introduced your situation to the public, I'm guessing to gain support for your position.  You said the engine blew up but it actually was repaired.  That means you are windy (i.e. bombastic).  People usually don't support a person who is blatantly windy.

Why did the bolt break?  I don't know. Have you been to at truck pull?

Have I been to a truck pull?...is a pigs rump pork? Four full seasons on my FE that I built 20 years ago, not to mention drag and sand drags. You don't have a clue what is going on, I only posted a smidge. We wanted the best that money could buy....

Keep in mind a puller gets one 15 second wot pull @ 10 pulls per season that's about 2.5 minutes. What does a drag car get per race? Several practice runs, time trials and the actual race adds up. Since the engine required major surgery after the first season (not owner caused) that's an expensive 2.5 minutes. 

Wouldn't you consider a rod bolt breaking on the dyno a blow up? The collateral damage was significant. Anyway, since you don't have a clue why don't you drop it before this thread goes south. 

NIsaacs

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2020, 06:46:29 AM »
I have no ill feelings toward anyone involved and as of Saturday morning, I do believe the intention was to send the engine back to me for a freshen-up, so I don't believe there were any ill feelings toward me either.   I simply told Fred that I didn't think I could get it back to him in time for next year's season.  To be straight up, I think I'd rather tell someone that, than be late getting an engine out the door and knock them out of half a season.   As a matter of fact, Fred is pretty handy, so I even pitched the idea of Fred disassembling the engine and then reassembling it with me throwing him refresh parts and walking him through different aspects of the build over the phone.  The talk of a local shop came up just when we were brainstorming about the possibility of a cracked/bent crankshaft and I thought that a local shop could spin it up and check it out.

To answer TJ,  I have no clue why the bolt broke and if there was an insinuation by anyone that it was my fault, I can simply say that both bolt shanks were still in the rod and screwed out freely, with the rod cap and bolt heads in the pan, with my white paint daubs on them, signifying that they had been torqued.  In addition to that, my build notes show the amount of stretch on every rod bolt, along with the torque/angle spec to get to that particular stretch number.  If I did something wrong, I'll throw my hands up in the air and just say I have no idea what it is.   The additional kick in the pants was that they were all BRAND NEW rod bolts from ARP, as I replace them every season, whether they need it or not.  With all of that being said, as soon as it happened, I called Fred and told him.  I certainly didn't get any satisfaction from doing that, but I wanted to be transparent.  In the end, Fred wasn't out a penny, but I took about a $3000 hit in fixing it all.

Brent,

This is sounding promising, Thanks. Fred is handy, we both are. We know what can break and why. We are not hotrod mechanics, there is a difference, but we are very good mechanics, we can fix anything. I was building gas and diesel Allis Chalmers engines in the late 60's, I can't count how many, Cummins, Detroit, Ford, GMC and hit or miss one lunger's. We are not green!   

Thanks, Nick

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2020, 11:46:36 AM »
Sorry to comment from the "peanut gallery"  (not really, you invited us to witness it)
but Nick, it REALLY sounds like you need to talk to your brother and get on the same page.
From the outside looking in, it appears that Brent is getting a different impression of the situation from Fred.

Now if this means, Fred says one thing to Brent and one to you, or whatever is beyond my speculation, but it sure sounds like something of that nature.

I have never seen Brent not be fully transparent with his work... he has never tried to hide anything.  I do the same, I will go 100% over and above to assure a customer has exactly what they need.  I happily spend hours talking a customer through fixing other people's work so my carburetors function as they should.  I have seen Brent do the same.
That said, if I was in his situation, I'd be firing you both as customers over this thread.

NIsaacs

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2020, 02:27:04 PM »
Sorry to comment from the "peanut gallery"  (not really, you invited us to witness it)
but Nick, it REALLY sounds like you need to talk to your brother and get on the same page.
From the outside looking in, it appears that Brent is getting a different impression of the situation from Fred.

Now if this means, Fred says one thing to Brent and one to you, or whatever is beyond my speculation, but it sure sounds like something of that nature.

I have never seen Brent not be fully transparent with his work... he has never tried to hide anything.  I do the same, I will go 100% over and above to assure a customer has exactly what they need.  I happily spend hours talking a customer through fixing other people's work so my carburetors function as they should.  I have seen Brent do the same.
That said, if I was in his situation, I'd be firing you both as customers over this thread.

Lol, key word here "speculation" ...and the unknowing list grows....

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2020, 03:31:25 PM »
I would think the key word here is PM.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

SMA390

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2020, 04:15:57 PM »
Brent fixed it on his own dime. That says it all for me. Not that it really matters what I think. Always entertaining here

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2020, 04:27:18 PM »
Lol, key word here "speculation" ...and the unknowing list grows....

Yup, but that is exactly what you get when you air this out in the public eye.

Good luck.

NIsaacs

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2020, 05:01:38 PM »
Brent fixed it on his own dime. That says it all for me. Not that it really matters what I think. Always entertaining here

OMG, they just keep getting better. As opposed to who's dime? This was a fresh rebuild, tested in Kentucky, the truck is in Montana....

Gregwill16

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2020, 07:46:07 PM »
Unless Brent signed a lifetime contract to refresh this engine, it is actually good publicity for Brent, that you will go to these lengths.