Author Topic: Engine diapers for FE engines  (Read 11151 times)

e philpott

• View Profile
Re: Engine diapers for FE engines
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 04:31:14 PM »
End result the Tracks will suffer

fairlanegt427

• 64 falcon 482 pond motor/ 65 comet 428
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 07:51:14 PM »
I don't have the newest nhra book yet.  but my question is how fast before they have to be sfi approved?  I was internet shopping and their not bad priced but they get in that 400 dollar range awful fast

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 11:04:18 AM »
TIRC, the kevlar stuff is usually SFI and more $$$.  General Reg 8.1, refers to classes not Speed or ET.  For ET Bracket/non Class Specific - 4.50 and slower 1/8 mile, the devices are "permitted" and not "required".  Quicker than 4.50 (Advanced ET) is required.

ET racers don't need a rule book, go to NHRARacer.com and select Rules

http://promod.nhra.com/userfiles/file/Tech/2018_NHRA_Rulebook_E.T.%20Section.pdf

If you are a Class racer - have to buy the book.  If I get time and remember, I will look at my 2017 book.  Reminds me, need to call Division and re-up damn quick.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 11:05:58 AM by Falcon67 »

Russ67Scode

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2019, 07:49:00 AM »
Does anyone have a picture of a diaper on their FE ??  Really like a fairlane chassis
Trying to figure out the motor mounts and deep front oil pan
Thanks Russ
BP 520 ci BBM Twin turbo FAST EFI

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2019, 10:41:40 AM »
I been useing the racers warehouse universal diper with replaceable wick pads. The strap brackets work out just fine for me.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2019, 11:08:31 AM »
Just my opinion  but this is one of the reasons street racing is making a comeback.
NHRA has made it to expensive to race anymore.
I have to agree with the safety  rules because some of the cars raced in the 60's and 70's were death trap's.
However there has to be a nice center point that takes safety into account along with cost otherwise people are just going to find the nearest street to find a race.
I know I am in the minority but this is how I feel about the subject.
Greg

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2019, 02:42:00 PM »
On my 64 Fairlane there are two header tubes that cross under the pan between the steering and bellhousing, these almost touch the pan, steering and bellhousing. A .040" thick shield right against the pan would still be a tight fit and do nothing if a LeMans rod wanted freedom.

wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2019, 10:00:31 AM »
Its cheap if keeps you off the wall or on your lid slicks and oil dont mix think how much it will cost you to start over.

BOutlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2019, 12:56:08 PM »
Interesting thread. Being a newby,  not having raced since the 70s, some of the Gasser races I attend, started posting on their webpage/FB that a diaper would be required. I purchased the cheap Jegs strap style diaper. As mentioned, I could not install at all without complete tight contact between headers and oil pan. The material used appears to be the same material that is used to fabricate skydiving parachute containers (Im a parachute rigger and former skydiver) and without doubt, will burn and melt. I suppose that even with a burn hole the diaper would collect a majority of the oil that may be blown from the engine but the material also smells like its burning while its melting. As it turned out, none of the tracks so far are enforcing the diaper rule, but it seems to come up every time I travel to a new track. I think that only a custom made diaper for a rear or front sump oil pan made with fireproof material would actually work, and seeing as how the "HUGE" payouts for Outlaw gasser racing don't exist, Ill race till they tell me I can't...that's my plan and Im sticking to it....
Brad Outlaw

jcooper

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2019, 10:48:09 AM »
We run a cheap jegs diaper. Got it on sale under $100. it just mounts to 4 corner bottom header bolts with long straps and has a Velcro adjuster in the front. Make sure you trim/tie back the excess straps because if not they will burn on the headers. We run a deep pan and have no issues.
Jerad Cooper
-2002 Dragster, 390 FE Powered
-1964 Galaxie XL, 445 FE Powered

Russ67Scode

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2019, 05:29:54 AM »
Any pictures ?
BP 520 ci BBM Twin turbo FAST EFI

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2019, 08:31:04 AM »
>Just my opinion  but this is one of the reasons street racing is making a comeback.
BS - it's not making a comeback, it's still there - worse maybe thanks to Street outlaws - and it's still done by idiots.
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2019/05/27/3-men-charged-street-racing-crash-killed-8-year-old-girl-pleasant-grove

>Really like a fairlane chassis

Same as my Falcon from 66-70.  No way I can see if you're running headers, it'll have to be a fabricated pan.  Unless you run something like shorty headers, cut the lower cross member out of the car and run motor plates.  You might get away with a aluminized Kevlar diaper with coated long tube headers, but I kinda doubt it'd last long.  Even on my 351C there are two pipes that really hug the pan tight.  That's with a 351C and 1 7/8 tubes.  Bigger motor, bigger clearance issues.  Our rule is 7.50 (1/8 mile) and faster, for now I'm staying at 7.60.  I'd like the car to run in the high 6s so over winter I'll be looking into fabbing up a catch pan. 

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2019, 09:22:30 AM »
Jesus, bunch of clucking hens here. WWW.RUSSLERII.com Russel will make a CUSTOM diaper for YOUR pan, and it will fit. If you think having shock towers is tough, try having a steering drag link run through your pan.

A lot of whining about NHRA and rules, but lets face it, it's about safety. Tracks already have a limited time of operation, and who likes spending there day at the track waiting for a oil down to be cleaned up?

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2019, 09:48:02 AM »
Jesus, bunch of clucking hens here. WWW.RUSSLERII.com Russel will make a CUSTOM diaper for YOUR pan, and it will fit.

A lot of whining about NHRA and rules, but lets face it, it's about safety.

Yeah, like perfectly good seat belts that have to be replaced every 2 years? Or header collector tethers? Some rules are good, some are just BS.

And that Russler website sucks. I can't even see or read the "Templates for measurement" page. Then I thought I'd go to the "Pictures" page to get a look at their work, and what their diapers looked like. Gee, not a single picture of anything they make....just pictures of cars. Really? They can't post just ONE picture of their product?
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2019, 11:34:32 AM »
i also think  nhra dont have clue in 55 years i seen one car lose a collector or have a scattershield rechecked what can go bad on one seat belts every two years also.A diaper or a pan  i have seen a few get in trouble in their own oil No Hot Rods Allowed has forgot who made them all the little guys.The ones  that still keep the local tracks open.