Author Topic: Starting to understand why building engines may be best left to the professional  (Read 116063 times)

Tobbemek

• View Profile
Thats a story tell  8) love it

Heo

• View Profile

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
No cats were hurt making that video.

Actually Barry, farmers were too cheap to pay the extra for 4WD. My brother sold trucks for Ford in the mid 70's, and here in Alberta ranchers, farmers, and the oil patch only bought 2WD. The 4WDs were bought for the forestry industry and the cities bought a few.

In '69 total production of F100 4WD was under 8,500 out of 343,000 total. Of the 504,532 pickups made by Ford in '69 only 19,694 were 4WD. One reason was they were so primitive you had to really need it to order it. Having said that my truck probably has over 300,000 miles on it (pretty sure it was a City of Calgary truck) but is on the original transmission, t-case, and axles.

It is interesting that world wide Ford sold 990,000 pickups in 2017, I would have expected more. I could find out how many were 4WD but I expect a higher percentage than in '69.
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
Update to an very old thread. Moved from 3,500 feet to 8 feet above sea level. First did the obvious and took the primary and secondary jets up two sizes to the original that came with the carb (78 and 86).

Then I turned in all the idle screws and got it to idle a little lower, but I felt it had more to give. My new neighbour Percy is an old carb tuner and builder, working on sprint cars and the like for 40 years. Very nice guy with a shop full of Holley parts, a small machine shop, and a nice kit Cobra with a 347.

We moved the timing up to 26 degrees, brought the total timing back down to around 36, and it was much happier, vacuum is now consistently around 10 inches. Percy thought there was more there, and it was still suffering from a little too much run on, plus he had a manual choke kit for me. We pulled the carb and adjusted the throttle positions to close them a little more (what you need to run at 3,500 feet is not what runs well at sea level), replaced the power valve with a 5.5 (was a 6.5), and put in larger primary pump nozzle and it now hits harder at 2,000. Need to do a little cruise driving to see how it runs, WOT runs are fun but probably not the only thing to test. Run on seems to be minimal now, and the starter is not having trouble at 26 degrees advance. I won't bother with vacuum advance since I really don't care about fuel economy.
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.