Author Topic: Roller vs. Flat-Tappet Cams! - Engine Masters Ep. 16 Motor Trend Channel  (Read 23740 times)

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Re: Roller vs. Flat-Tappet Cams! - Engine Masters Ep. 16 Motor Trend Channel
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2017, 12:59:08 PM »
Why do I feel like I'm trapped in the 60's when I read all this... :o

Maybe I should ask for a clarification before I post....................

Scott appears to be more of a roller fan.
I'm sure that makes sense, just not in my 63.5, as it is designed to be stuck in the 60's in many ways.  :P

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2017, 01:12:58 PM »
I'm probably more of a hydraulic roller fan, but I think there's a situation for each type. 

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2017, 04:24:41 PM »
Paulie, is this in a 427 block without oil to the lifters? or a hyd block?
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

plovett

« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2017, 05:38:36 PM »
I have a center oiler block.  So oil to the lifters unless I'm having an aneurism and not thinking right.  It has had a rod out the side and has been welded back together.  It also has a sleeve that has slipped down.  And it's 0.030 over.  I think all those things are okay or can be fixed.  It's going to need custom pistons anyway so I'll go with the absolute minimum overbore, 4.27-4.28"???  Somewhere in there.  I'm not averse to a little Hard Blok either, either a couple of inches or a half-fill.

paulie

wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2017, 06:40:56 PM »

Well i have learned a lot on this site i think i will sell my roller stuff and buy solid flat tappet set up it will just see street use.

scott foxwell

« Reply #80 on: December 10, 2017, 07:45:55 PM »

Well i have learned a lot on this site i think i will sell my roller stuff and buy solid flat tappet set up it will just see street use.
That would be unfortunate.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2017, 08:34:09 PM »
I have a center oiler block.  So oil to the lifters unless I'm having an aneurism and not thinking right.  It has had a rod out the side and has been welded back together.  It also has a sleeve that has slipped down.  And it's 0.030 over.  I think all those things are okay or can be fixed.  It's going to need custom pistons anyway so I'll go with the absolute minimum overbore, 4.27-4.28"???  Somewhere in there.  I'm not averse to a little Hard Blok either, either a couple of inches or a half-fill.

paulie

Not sure if that is a typo and should say "no oil to the lifters"  but a center oiler unless drilled will not have oil to the lifters.

It will be splash (or windage) oiled only, so no pressure fed pins unless the block is modified.
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2017, 08:50:32 PM »
That’s a good point.

If it hasn’t been drilled, options are extremely limited.  EDM lifters won’t do any good, and a non pressure fed solid roller will be short lived.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

plovett

« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2017, 04:53:26 AM »
Thanks guys.  I'm new to 427 blocks and not entirely sure what I'm talking about. I will do some investigating to see what I have.

paulie
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 05:04:30 AM by plovett »

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2017, 05:07:31 AM »
Post a pic of the lifter valley or the rear of the block and we can help.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

plovett

« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2017, 05:37:08 AM »
Post a pic of the lifter valley or the rear of the block and we can help.

WILCO and thanks.   I'll try to have pic later today.

paulie

scott foxwell

« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2017, 08:09:31 AM »
All this talk about lobes and spring pressures and control...and not a single mention of pushrods. Something Jay needs to keep in consideration with a much taller head and one reason I like hyd rollers...if for no other reason, they shorten the pushrods considerably.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 08:11:47 AM by scott foxwell »

plovett

« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2017, 08:41:03 AM »
Yes sir, pushrods can be a good place to add weight in the valvetrain.  I once had a spring harmonics issue that I THINK was exacerbated by weak flexing pushrods.  I got thicker wall pushrods (and different springs) and all was well. 

paulie

plovett

« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2017, 08:49:01 AM »

paulie

Not sure if that is a typo and should say "no oil to the lifters"  but a center oiler unless drilled will not have oil to the lifters.

It will be splash (or windage) oiled only, so no pressure fed pins unless the block is modified.

No you're right, Ross.  It should say "no oil to the lifters".  I typed "oil to the lifters" on purpose but something in the back of my mind was reeling.  That's why I was wondering if I was having an aneurism.  I think I have a '65 block which would not have pressure fed oiling to the lifters?

I'll look after a while.

paulie

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 11, 2017, 08:50:41 AM »
Good point on the pushrods.  Few years ago I swung through Charlotte and hit some NASCAR shops.  Obviously the new engines they utilize are clean slate engineering, so the cam tunnel is way up in the block to shorten the pushrods.  I was surprised how big they were, though, even being that short.  My thought was they'd run as small a pushrod as possible to knock weight out of the valvetrain but the guide said the tradeoff for stiffness was worth it.  Obvously running 9000rpm for long distance changes the requirements, but the theory stuck in my head.