Author Topic: SOHC rocker ratio?  (Read 5285 times)

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: SOHC rocker ratio?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2017, 07:49:27 AM »
Perhaps that's a primary reason, but not the sole reason, for his new head design.

It wouldn't be a project by Jay if he didn't work on improving the heads in other areas. Jay is going to release his own rockers soon, and unless he plans on doing two different versions maybe it won't end up in his SOHC heads. You kinda hope he does pursue it, but until Jay says one way or another we won't know for sure. :)

Some parts are cool because they are rare, but are still inferior. I'd put cast aluminum exhaust manifolds under this. Tubular headers will always be better for lower weight.

I agree with the steel tube headers being far superior. But now I wonder if NASCAR rules at the time mandated a OEM cast part, whether aluminum as we suspect or iron. Ford must have had a damned good reason to cast said manifolds if NASCAR didn't allow steel tube headers, again at the time.

Bet these ultra-rare manifolds are as rare as the first gen SOHC heads where the spark plugs were on the exhaust side of the heads rather than the production heads we see now!   
Bob Maag

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2017, 10:46:37 AM »
 NASCAR always required stock exhaust manifolds up until the 63 Chevy mystery engine. Smokey had a set in his garage that had a cast flange with tubing brazed on dumping into a 4 inch pipe that probably exited about just before the rear wheels. The Mopar cars started a similar setup late in the 63 season, and continued it with the hemi cars. The first Ford I remember with actual headers was not until 1966 late in the season when they were ending the NASCAR boycott. Bud Moore for sure had tube headers but they may have been constructed with a cast flange at first. The rules seemed to have finally evolved to tubing headers with a flat steel flange in 1967. At best as I remember.

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2017, 10:45:04 PM »
I think those look like Aluminium
Those are Butch Englebright's and they are aluminium, he will make them for you out of cast iron or aluminium they looked great. Leny Mason