Author Topic: Roll call for Drag Week...  (Read 21107 times)

thatdarncat

• View Profile
Re: Roll call for Drag Week...
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2017, 10:00:17 PM »
Things didn't go as planned for me. Just when I thought I was making progress on the car, I went backwards. No FE power for me.  :-[

Is there a class I could enter my daily driver in, without being too slow and laughed out of the track? '03 Crown Vic with basic bolt-ons, 93 octane tune, 4.10 gear. Should run mid 14's. Not sure what else I can bring right now...

Sorry to hear about your FE. Yes, like Alan said, you have a couple choices. Street Machine Eliminator is kind of a general class - anything 10.00 et and slower. Only need to follow the NHRA safety rules which are pretty basic at your expected et - all your lug nuts in place, battery holdown, etc. Also like Alan stated, Dragweek rules require either DOT race tires or slicks. If you use slicks you need a driveshaft loop, if you use DOT drag tires you don't need the driveshaft loop if you are slower than 11.49 et. Don't worry about being the slowest, I ran my '78 Lincoln Mark V last year ( AKA the Road Pillow ) and finished with a mid 16 second average, there were still a few cars slower than me. I'm taking my '96 Lincoln Mark VIII this year and you will probably be quicker than that also. Slowest cars that finished were in the high 18 second range the last couple years, and in 2014 the slowest was in the 20's ( A Volkswagon Type 4 ). Come to have some fun, meet some good folks from all around the world, see the wildest street cars in the world and experience the challenge.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2017, 11:31:06 PM »
Jeff & Joel were back at it this morning, I stopped over this afternoon. We got some more stuff bolted on the Coupe. Jeff has a couple more parts to fabricate, like a switch panel, so he ran home for a bit.  The project is at the point where wiring is the next major thing to do, so Joel started that this afternoon. He has an aftermarket harness kit. He got the MSD and fuse box mounted inside, started stringing the wires. We kid Joel, but he does actually do some of the work himself, good thing he's a good sport. Here he is starting the harness install.

I had to head back home this evening, when he gets it wired it should be close to getting fired up, maybe tomorrow. I need to work on my stuff the next few days, I don't know if Joel will have time to give us an update next week so we may have to wait for the next report.

Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2017, 08:54:49 AM »
Thanks guys. I figured those two classes were my only options.

I knew about the tires. Guess I better find some quick. Would like to get some drag radials on my 17in Cobra wheels and just leave them on the whole time. I have had the car to the track before and squeezed 93mph out of it. A lousy stock converter is really holding me back at the line. Don't know if I can get another one in before the race. Ran high 14s with the old 3.73 gear, but just installed some 4.10s. I'll see what happens....
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2017, 09:00:14 AM »
As long as you have some DOT tires for it you can run in either Small Block Street race or street machine eliminator class. My car isn't running quite like I want it too and I have considered doing the same thing with my '04 Mach1 if I can't get it doing a little better.

Sorry to hear you're still having trouble, Alan. I wouldn't mind seeing the Mach 1. I always liked those. What color is yours and is it stock? Auto or stick? What kind of time does it run?
Jared

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2017, 12:37:06 PM »
As long as you have some DOT tires for it you can run in either Small Block Street race or street machine eliminator class. My car isn't running quite like I want it too and I have considered doing the same thing with my '04 Mach1 if I can't get it doing a little better.

Sorry to hear you're still having trouble, Alan. I wouldn't mind seeing the Mach 1. I always liked those. What color is yours and is it stock? Auto or stick? What kind of time does it run?

Thanks, I think I may have my fuel issues figured out...maybe. My Mach 1 is Azure Blue with a 5 spd. I bought it new and it is box stock. I have never had it to the track. It has about 37,000 miles on it so I don't drive it a lot.   

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2017, 09:44:17 PM »
My Mach 1 is Azure Blue with a 5 spd. I bought it new and it is box stock. I have never had it to the track. It has about 37,000 miles on it so I don't drive it a lot.

I love that color and would be my only choice if I got one. Gotta have three pedals too.  :)
Jared

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2017, 12:20:50 PM »
Things didn't go as planned for me. Just when I thought I was making progress on the car, I went backwards. No FE power for me.  :-[

Is there a class I could enter my daily driver in, without being too slow and laughed out of the track? '03 Crown Vic with basic bolt-ons, 93 octane tune, 4.10 gear. Should run mid 14's. Not sure what else I can bring right now...

Jared, that's a real bummer that you can't take the Fairlane. I hope it's nothing serious. If Kevin can run the Road Pillow, I think you'd be fine running pretty much anything ;)  Even if it's just a daily driver, you paid your money, so enjoy the event. In fact, a daily driver will let you enjoy it even that much more, since you wouldn't have to worry about breaking anything.

Thanks, I think I may have my fuel issues figured out...maybe. My Mach 1 is Azure Blue with a 5 spd. I bought it new and it is box stock. I have never had it to the track. It has about 37,000 miles on it so I don't drive it a lot.   

Alan, I sure hope you've got your fuel issue sorted out. I don't recall you having any problems in previous Drag Weeks? I had considered taking my '09 GT (stock drivetrain except for a cold air intake, cat back exhaust and tune) since my wife is going, just to make it easier on me, but I'm still taking the Mach because I enjoy driving and racing it so much.

Jeff & Joel were back at it this morning, I stopped over this afternoon. We got some more stuff bolted on the Coupe. Jeff has a couple more parts to fabricate, like a switch panel, so he ran home for a bit.  The project is at the point where wiring is the next major thing to do, so Joel started that this afternoon. He has an aftermarket harness kit. He got the MSD and fuse box mounted inside, started stringing the wires. We kid Joel, but he does actually do some of the work himself, good thing he's a good sport. Here he is starting the harness install.

I hope Joel makes it with his Coop, but that thing looks more like a torture device, given the fact he's got to drive it 1000 miles..lol  Hopefully he can at least get a quick tune on those carbs before the event. What is that hand lever for? I see he has a brake pedal, so rear hand brakes only isn't the case. I thought he may be just crazy enough to try that 8)
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2017, 12:46:07 PM »

I hope Joel makes it with his Coop, but that thing looks more like a torture device, given the fact he's got to drive it 1000 miles..lol  Hopefully he can at least get a quick tune on those carbs before the event. What is that hand lever for? I see he has a brake pedal, so rear hand brakes only isn't the case. I thought he may be just crazy enough to try that 8)

The hand lever is for the emergency brakes. The Coop is manual transmission, and I agree with Joel, they're probably a good idea. The latest update I have is Joel is still working on the wiring, but hopes to be ready to fire it up tonight.
Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

Royce

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2017, 01:24:32 PM »
I think the hand lever on the Coop is really for drifting.. Joel being a renaissance man, I would think that car is a multi role racer
1955 Thunderbird Competition Coupe Altered Chassis "War Bird" 383 Lincoln Y block 520 hp
1955 Thunderbird 292 275 hp Y Block
1956 Ford Victoria 292 Y block

1957 Mercury 2dr Wagon "Battle Wagon" drag car 
1957 Thunderbird Glass body Tube Chassis drag car 333 cu in 500 hp Ford Y block
1961 Starliner 390/375 clone
1965 GT40 tribute w/FE
1966 Falcon Pro Touring project
Kaase Boss 547. 840 HP 698 Torque  pump gas
1992 BMW V-12 5.0
2001 Lincoln 5.4 4 cam.
1968 Cougar XR7

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2017, 08:01:45 PM »

Jared, that's a real bummer that you can't take the Fairlane. I hope it's nothing serious. If Kevin can run the Road Pillow, I think you'd be fine running pretty much anything ;)  Even if it's just a daily driver, you paid your money, so enjoy the event. In fact, a daily driver will let you enjoy it even that much more, since you wouldn't have to worry about breaking anything.

Thanks, Doug. Nothing too serious. I think I bit off a bit more than I could chew for the amount of time. I had one simple upgrade planned in the beginning, but it soon turned into "while I'm at it".  ::)  Next thing I know, the whole car is in a million pieces and I'm still waiting on parts to arrive. Maybe I'll have it ready by the next solar eclipse...

I don't know, when I take something to the track, I TRY to break something!  ::)
Jared

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2017, 09:31:18 PM »
I had one simple upgrade planned in the beginning, but it soon turned into "while I'm at it".

LOL, you could have shortened your answer to this ;D  That seems to be a disease we're all afflicted with ::)

I was going to tear into my car to do some more upgrades this year, but held off so I could continue to drive it while I got everything ready. Then I'll try to do it in small stages during the non-driving months over the next couple of years. But you know how plans go...
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2017, 07:14:07 PM »
More last minute fun. As my last pre DW prep I washed my car Monday and cleaned the wheels, etc. After I got done I felt my car and thought "Man this thing still feels really dirty". Great...there is overspray all over my car. No doubt I did it at some point while working on the Mustang. I thought I had it well covered and I even moved it out long before I did any color painting. No matter,  now I am hand compound out the whole upper 2/3 of the car since I don't dare power polish it for fear of burning through the paint. It still looks really good but fells like sandpaper when you rub your hand on it.  >:(

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2017, 07:35:50 PM »
Try some clay bar with waterless wash or something safe for paint, Alan. I know it removes overspray. Just went through it too. I was amazed how easily the clay bar works. Doesn't scratch, either.
Jared

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2017, 09:33:54 PM »
Try some clay bar with waterless wash or something safe for paint, Alan. I know it removes overspray. Just went through it too. I was amazed how easily the clay bar works. Doesn't scratch, either.
Thanks, I'll give that a try. I have been using 3M Perfect-it polishing compound that works pretty good but it is a lot of rubbing. I have the trunk, roof and fender tops done. I have to stop at the parts store tomorrow anyway to get some more Perfect-it so I'll grab some clay bar while I'm there. One thing is for sure, this will be the cleanest this car has been for a really long time!

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2017, 11:12:54 PM »
Plus 1 on the clay bar. I just recently started using them, got a great deal on several through Amazon, and they work fantastic! I even gave a couple to my friends to try. My paint feels like glass afterwards. A good wax then and the car is easier to wipe down and dust off than it's ever been. I'm sold on them. Save yourself some money though, water in any old spray bottle works good as a lubricant.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe