Author Topic: Roll call for Drag Week...  (Read 21095 times)

thatdarncat

• View Profile
Re: Roll call for Drag Week...
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 12:32:50 PM »
How strict are they going to be for proof of registration?  the truck has had collector plates on it for 20 years? All I have is the title and the plates that are on the truck. Would that be sufficient?  I recently put insurance back on it so that's not a problem but as far as the little registration paper that comes with the plates that is long gone lol,  thanks again

It's the same here in Minnesota, we don't have yearly renewals on our collector plates, so no annual  paperwork. In 2015 what I did was ask at the local DMV and they were able to run a report on their computer that printed out my registration info and I brought that, and Hot Rod was fine. I think the DMV did charge me a couple dollars to do it, anything to get their cut lol. Last year I still had the paper work that came with the collector plates on my Lincoln and that was fine too. I'm sure your title would be fine too. The Hot Rod people seem to have run into this stuff plenty of times at this point, and they knew our Minnesota collector plates didn't renew yearly.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 01:18:26 PM »
Same here, I have collector plates in my Mach, good for 50 years I believe. I have the registration that came with the plates, but the DMV should be able to run you off a set if you've lost yours.

From what I saw last year, when it got to the end of the tech line, it was VERY late in the day. It took a loooooooong time to get all the cars through (I hope they have more/better lines this year). By the end of the day, they were just shoving cars through and doing minimal checks, like dates on belts, jackets and helmets. They were just trying to get finished! So if all else fails, wait till the end, there's a good chance they'll just push you through..lol  Do you have a roll bar in the truck?
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 01:49:16 PM »
There is a "Secret" Facebook Dragweekers page ( guess it's not a secret now  ;) ) A couple weeks ago Lonnie Grimm, Hot Rod's head event guy commented that they have a plan this year to make the tech line run "much" smoother and quicker, I guess we will see. But they are also planning on 400 cars this year. It's been discussed quite a bit on various groups, but I really don't think these tracks have any idea what is about to land on their door step when Dragweek comes, and of course the tracks change around each year. At National Trail, the host track last year, I think only 2 of the track's tech people showed up on Sunday and they were just overwhelmed. I don't know if Hot Rod explains things well, or if the tracks just don't listen. For the whole event, especially Sunday, you just have to tell your self to be patient and use the time to walk around and visit & check out the cars. Starting on Monday everything starts going so fast you'll have a hard time taking it all in.   
Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 02:37:02 PM »
OK I'll have to check the sfi rating code on my jacket, stock bench seat in the truck and it's gonna stay that way not sure where I would put a headrest since when I have my helmet on in the truck my head is pretty much against the back window already... I was looking in the rulebook and they don't give a height dimension for the 1.25 seatbelt bar?  I assume it needs to be below my shoulders to help hold me down in the seat but I'm uncertain how low I can put it because there's not a Lot of room behind the seat in that cab.. thanks for all the advice so far and any other pointers you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated

I took a look in my 2013 NHRA rule book, I didn't pull the latest version up online, but I assume these rules haven't changed - Section 4:10 Roll Bar & Section 4:11 Roll Cage - Cross bar is for seat bracing and shoulder harness attachment, must be installed no more than 4" below, and not above the drivers shoulders. That is also where it should be in relation to the side bar attachment to the main hoop. I will say I've seen cars I think are a little outside that spec ( lower ) and they seem to pass. Section 6:2 covers seats - seat back is supposed to have at least one bolt into the cross bar. If the cross bar is not right at the seat back they want a brace from seat to cross bar. I also think I've seen cars ( like in Stock Eliminator ) that just have the seat back at the cross bar without a bolt, but I'm trying to give you the "official" rules. Section 10:6 covers head protector - "...any car with a roll bar or roll cage, a padded head protector must be provided at the back of the drivers head and constructed in an attempt to prevent whiplash... A padded roll bar or cage alone is not acceptable as a padded head protector unless it is within 4" of the drivers helmet" I would take that to mean you could put padded upright bars on either side of your head, as long as they are within 4" of your helmet, and not necessarily right behind your head. It also leaves a lot of leeway as to how you construct the head protector - I would think a padded, narrow, flat piece of steel  behind your head running from cross bar up to the main hoop would work too. Removable head protectors are ok, if you want something you can take out for the drive. I think Jay made his head protector removable.  I'm not a NHRA tech guy, so just take these as suggestions. 
Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2017, 05:47:39 PM »
I'm uncertain if I'm going solo yet or not.  hard to get anybody to take a week of vacation to ride along and fix anything that breaks on the mistress..

Need a mechanic with really low standards of living?  I work 28 days on 28 days off, if I know when drag week is, I might be available if you needed company.

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2017, 06:06:58 PM »
I'm uncertain if I'm going solo yet or not.  hard to get anybody to take a week of vacation to ride along and fix anything that breaks on the mistress..

Need a mechanic with really low standards of living?  I work 28 days on 28 days off, if I know when drag week is, I might be available if you needed company.

Dragweek this year is September 10th through September 15th. Plan right now is Hemi Joel & Jeff, and myself to arrive sometime Saturday evening September 9th.
Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2017, 06:22:18 PM »
Looks like I go to work on Sept 14th.  :(

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2017, 06:14:37 AM »
Dragweek this year is September 10th through September 15th. Plan right now is Hemi Joel & Jeff, and myself to arrive sometime Saturday evening September 9th.

Same plan here. I could probably use a hand in getting my small trailer off the back of my truck, if any of you guys feel giddy to help.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2017, 07:08:15 AM »

Same plan here. I could probably use a hand in getting my small trailer off the back of my truck, if any of you guys feel giddy to help.

Shouldn't be a problem.
Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2017, 06:16:21 PM »
Hot Rod just published the entry list for Dragweek. Of course it's not 100% accurate since there will be some who have dropped out since entering last spring, and it doesn't include anyone getting on from the waiting list, but it's still fun to check out.
Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

1968Torino

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2017, 12:13:38 PM »
I'm for sure going to be there. I'll have my sons FE powered 68 Torino. My dad will be my co-pilot. My wife will meet us at the different tracks as long as we make it. I'll be taking maps, a gps, and a smart phone. Following the route is the most difficult part of the whole trip. I keen navigator makes things smoother. I've got most of what I need to do finished up. There are a few things I'd like to do yet. I've converted over to e85. Very happy with that. Just hope Illinois is green weenie enough to have a few stations with it. My brother will be there in a tube chassis falcon. No idea what class he's running. I'll see you guys in a couple of weeks.
It's a love hate relationship!
Jim Kitchen

cjetmech

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2017, 07:10:22 AM »
If anyone needs somebody to ride shotgun I'm available. I'm on vacation that week and was just planning on doing home projects but I'd certainly drop that plan to go to DW. 50yr old aircraft mechanic who has FE drag racing experience. 5yrs in a weekly points series so I know the drill. I'll work with you on expenses too. I'd be coming from the northeast. If anybody is interested email me at jcurrie8765@icloud.com.
67 Fairlane GT 428
93 Mustang Coupe 331

cjetmech

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2017, 07:22:50 AM »
And fwiw, I'd have no problem bench pressing a C6 on the side of the road at 2am, changing a rear pumpkin in an Arby's parking lot, or spending all day in the hot sun repairing your broken FE in the pits. Actually I'm one of those strange individuals who enjoys that kinda stuff!
67 Fairlane GT 428
93 Mustang Coupe 331

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2017, 09:12:34 AM »
Jim, I'm really glad to hear that you'll make it. Your buddys Falcon looks pretty serious. Looking forward to seeing both of you there!

cjetmech, I'd probably take you up on that if it wouldn't get me in hot water with the wife..lol She's had her heart set on riding along this year, so I'm really hoping it's a smooth ride like last year was.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

cjetmech

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2017, 07:36:11 PM »
Jim, I'm really glad to hear that you'll make it. Your buddys Falcon looks pretty serious. Looking forward to seeing both of you there!

cjetmech, I'd probably take you up on that if it wouldn't get me in hot water with the wife..lol She's had her heart set on riding along this year, so I'm really hoping it's a smooth ride like last year was.

Well if anything changes and you need somebody give me a shout. Like I said I'm off anyways so I could leave at the drop of a hat.
67 Fairlane GT 428
93 Mustang Coupe 331