Author Topic: Muffler quiz  (Read 14186 times)

james

Re: Muffler quiz
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2017, 05:13:38 PM »

I have rediscovered that I like the sound of the Flowmasters though I admit I was tired of them for awhile. I know that may sound weird but I think the drone you are talking about is the reason I got tired of them. However, that was with the pipes dumping out under the car. I'm hoping the sound deadening I'm doing on the mustang will take care of that drone as well as running the pipes out the back.

I have probably 40 lbs of sound deadener in the Mustang, and it does a fantastic job of muffling road noise, car noises etc, but it didn't help a bit with the Flowmasters, and that was with a full 2 1/2" exhaust.

What part number borla's do you recommend for the 427 fe? Thanks!

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2017, 05:21:01 PM »
[quote   I get most of my stuff through Summit, the free shipping gets here overnight.  Time to take some careful measurements and get started.

Thanks again to all for the input-
[/quote]

What a dream.Be able get the stuff next day with free shipping  and without  50% extra taxes

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2017, 05:21:50 PM »
We feel for ya Heo.
To be a gear head over there requires some admirable determination.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2017, 05:27:58 PM »
Its a continuing uphill :D

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2017, 07:22:27 PM »
What part number borla's do you recommend for the 427 fe? Thanks!

I have 2 1/2" exhaust, currently, so the #40659 is what it takes for my Mustang. It has an offset inlet and center outlet, which is pretty much required on a Mustang to keep the exhaust tucked up tight under the car, but other cars may be different.

I'd prefer a 3" exhaust, especially from a performance standpoint, but it's pretty darned tight getting around the staggered shocks, and with the 2 1/2", I can remove the tailpipes by jacking up the rear of the car and letting the differential drop down. I don't think I could get away with that with a 3" pipe.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2017, 08:00:43 PM »
Heo, I'm sure I don't understand half of the struggle you can have getting parts that we can get almost instantly and at much less cost.  I'm sure on top of everything else there are long in-transit times too.

To say it takes admirable determination pretty much nails it in my view.  And the 50% extra taxes on top too???? >:(

Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2017, 04:41:46 AM »
Today its a lot easier and faster then in the 80s when i
started to import parts. Then it was a procedure of a couple
of months.Today its down to 2-3 weeks. Funny thing is
the shipping from US to Sweden 2-3 days then the shipping
to my place  10-20 days if the Swedish post take care of it ???
If say DHL or UPS take care of it i can have the parts from US
to my place in 5-7 days
Mufflers or say some ordinary SBF or SBC parts i can get the
next day from some Swedish vendor but it will cost me .
I understand that, They don't run some welfare muffler aid organisation

Then in the 80s it was the constant harassment from the cops.
You was considered a menace to society if you drove an American car
If a cop saw you they stop you and tried hard to find some reason
to send you out for technical inspection and write a ticket
A friend had to tow his Nova because of 1 inch to narrow mudflaps :o
What a criminal ::)

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2017, 05:06:56 AM »
Lenz, if you remember my truck has a set of 3" sst mufflers that I made. Sound is not loud till I get on it, not offenceive  doesn't drone a speed and free flowing. My galaxie has a close to stock system and has a nice rap to it, no muufflers in the stock location ,but they are placed where the resonaters are. My GTO has the stock system on it but Cherry Bombs in place of the mufflers. Sounds nice till I jump it, also it drones at 55mph to 60.   This is all the car has had since it was 3yrs old and last year got a new replacement system on head pipes. Call will talk.

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2017, 01:52:19 PM »
Heo, sounds like the world could benefit from a book on how to sneak an American car over there and avoid trouble with the authorities.  Although I do remember a time here in PA when you failed inspection for too much tire exposed beyond the wheelhouse, maybe our law folks were working with yours in an international scheme to dig up some extra revenue? :P
Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2017, 03:46:31 PM »
They were against generally any kind of modified vehicle
I had a Triumph Boneville.....today i guess it would be called
a Street tracker. No front fender,Megaphones,short rearfender....
the cops absolutely loved that bike  ;D They wanted to check it
out and talk to me every time they saw me, And wanted me to
show it to the guys at technical inspection so they got to See it
to ;D. But we got organised and protested some guys did and do
helluva job. Now the fenderlaw for motorcycles is gone, Fenderlaw for cars
is to be removed from May 2018. 30year old cars is free from
roadtax. 1950 and older is free from annual tec inspection. From may 2018
it will be a rolling 40 years and 30 for motorcycle tec insp free

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2017, 07:09:16 PM »
Lenz,
just about nothing drones worse than a flowturdmaster.  I can't comment on the Borla, but I've had flowturdmasters, the flowturdmaster deltaturd,  and all the other mufflers I will comment on.

Any glass pack will sound good, but LOUD.

THe spintecks I had just sounded crappy all the time.

THe Dynomax ultraflow SS is the choice for power, quiet idle, lots of bark at WOT, some drone at highway cruise, but not nearly as bad as a flowturdmaster.

Next is the Dynomax Super Turbo. (or probably any similarly built turbo muffler) More restrictive than the Ultraflow, but nice muffled sound at idle, but still lets you know it's a hot rod, reasonably quiet at WOT, and just a little drone on the highway.

Then you have a Hemi muffler. Very similar to a turbo muff, except no drone, and less restrictive.

Last is the quiet-flow. Very restrictive, but OEM cadillac quiet. When I was daily driving my 500 inch Elcamino, I wanted to hear the radio, have conversations, make business call on the cell. THis was the only muffler of the several I tried that was really quiet behind that hotrod mill.

Here is my Ultraflow SS's at WOT from outside the car:
https://youtu.be/snKfkP8nqg4

Here is some cruising around with Ultraflow SS's: (no carpet padding or sound deadener, 735 horse hemi, 2.5" from the manifolds to the rear bumper)

https://youtu.be/nKfPiVjUdjU?t=2m51s

I like them.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 07:31:17 PM by Hemi Joel »

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2017, 10:41:30 PM »
I really like my Hooker Aerochambers. We have them on three different cars. Two FE powered and one SBF. No drone that I can tell. Nice tone and not obnoxiously loud. Mufflers are pretty much straight-through. I bought the 2 1/2" polished stainless ones for my car.

Here's the old wheezy 390:
http://vid12.photobucket.com/albums/a232/jaredaebly/Fairlane%20390%20Idle%20Aerochamber_zpso8jspzmj.mp4
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2017, 06:47:21 AM »
Lenz,
just about nothing drones worse than a flowturdmaster.  I can't comment on the Borla, but I've had flowturdmasters, the flowturdmaster deltaturd,  and all the other mufflers I will comment on.

Any glass pack will sound good, but LOUD.

THe spintecks I had just sounded crappy all the time.

THe Dynomax ultraflow SS is the choice for power, quiet idle, lots of bark at WOT, some drone at highway cruise, but not nearly as bad as a flowturdmaster.

Next is the Dynomax Super Turbo. (or probably any similarly built turbo muffler) More restrictive than the Ultraflow, but nice muffled sound at idle, but still lets you know it's a hot rod, reasonably quiet at WOT, and just a little drone on the highway.

Then you have a Hemi muffler. Very similar to a turbo muff, except no drone, and less restrictive.

Last is the quiet-flow. Very restrictive, but OEM cadillac quiet. When I was daily driving my 500 inch Elcamino, I wanted to hear the radio, have conversations, make business call on the cell. THis was the only muffler of the several I tried that was really quiet behind that hotrod mill.

Here is my Ultraflow SS's at WOT from outside the car:
https://youtu.be/snKfkP8nqg4

Here is some cruising around with Ultraflow SS's: (no carpet padding or sound deadener, 735 horse hemi, 2.5" from the manifolds to the rear bumper)

https://youtu.be/nKfPiVjUdjU?t=2m51s

I like them.

Spot on IMHO, the Ultraflow, Magnaflow, ProXS, Hooker MaxFlow and Jones MaxFlow are all the same pass through absorption design too, so pick your poison  The reason I changed from Flows on all my vehicles to this style is absolutely because of drone and interior noise, then secondary benefit was more power, especially part throttle/mid range. 

In my truck, if I am driving easy, it is very quiet, in the Mustang I have a little more bark, but easily listen to the radio and can talk without having to fight the noise of the car.

By losing the Flows, the engine still has lots of bark when you hit it, but it comes out of the pipes behind you not through the body.

BTW, my large body Flowmaster Deltaflows came off my Mustang, and I figured that they would be fine under the bed of the truck, almost near the bumper.  They were better out there than in the car, but still boomed at certain cruise RPM, amazed me that I could hear it when they were behind the axle.  Threw the Jones on there, it changed the demeanor of the truck

I just can't imagine using a reflective muffler on anything unless I was forced to.
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2017, 11:40:31 AM »
I just can't imagine using a reflective muffler on anything unless I was forced to.

At gunpoint?  ;D
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2017, 12:21:00 PM »
When you're all alone out there.   ;D
Tongue firmly planted in cheek.