Author Topic: Starting to understand why building engines may be best left to the professional  (Read 116159 times)

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
After seven and half months in storage, my hip surgery far enough behind me that I can raise my foot and get it on the clutch, I pulled the beast out and she started on the second twist. Ran it up to temp but not super hot, drove it home and it sounded good. Shut it down and it shut down without running on.

After 31 pages of very good advice I think I'm getting close and will look for a chassis dyno to put it on. Next up front disc brakes and a TruTrac.

Before I do that I'll run it until it is good and hot and see if it holds - I had been thinking about doing the lifter pre-load with it hot since it seems to tick when up to temp.
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

Tobbemek

• View Profile
Good to hear that you are back in business  8)

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
Ran it today. Warm day, mid 70's. After about 30 minutes in slow traffic and a couple bursts it started ticking. Shut it off to go into a store, came out in 10 minutes and it had settled down. Ran another 20 minutes and it started ticking again. Ran it home and same thing. Passenger bank this time.

I think I need to tear into it when it is really hot and check the pre-loads.

Also one odd thing - there was oil under it when I pulled it from storage, but no drips now. I put it away with 6 quarts of oil in it. Seems about a 1/4 to 1/2 a quart was on the ground.
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

My427stang

• View Profile
Off topic, but what are you doing for front brakes? 

I finally bit the bullet and bought a later model front end out of a 79, conversion for the early bearing-style "spindle" is like 700 bucks, using mostly Chevy parts, I don't mind, but parts getting hard to find for this style front end.
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
Ross, I came across some adds for an SSBC kit that they claim fits a '69 F100 4WD. http://ssbrakes.com/i-10092449-1966-1974-f100-4wd-bronco-front-power-disc-big-brake-conversion-kit-12-inch-rotors-a159-1.html

I have limited time this summer - had to recover from having the hip fixed (for the first time in 4 years I don't have a limp!), fix up the house to sell (unfortunately Mr. Trump isn't helping the real-estate market up here in Canada), find a property over on Vancouver Island, and I plan to spend about 4 weeks out in the motorhome (including looking for a place on the Island).

Not sure I'll have time this summer but I want to.

Paul.

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile

Also one odd thing - there was oil under it when I pulled it from storage, but no drips now. I put it away with 6 quarts of oil in it. Seems about a 1/4 to 1/2 a quart was on the ground.

I'd take a hard look at the oil pan drain plug.  That much oil would have a hard time getting out anywhere else with the engine shut off.
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

My427stang

• View Profile
Ross, I came across some adds for an SSBC kit that they claim fits a '69 F100 4WD. http://ssbrakes.com/i-10092449-1966-1974-f100-4wd-bronco-front-power-disc-big-brake-conversion-kit-12-inch-rotors-a159-1.html

I have limited time this summer - had to recover from having the hip fixed (for the first time in 4 years I don't have a limp!), fix up the house to sell (unfortunately Mr. Trump isn't helping the real-estate market up here in Canada), find a property over on Vancouver Island, and I plan to spend about 4 weeks out in the motorhome (including looking for a place on the Island).

Not sure I'll have time this summer but I want to.

Looks nice, but I went the cheap route, picked up a 79 front axle for 125, going to rebuild/reseal and sell the drum brake front end.  I should turn the truck into a gasser with a straight font axle, it'll never need 4x4 again, but I can't get myself to do it LOL
Ross
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
Ross - did you scavenge the parts from the '79 and transplant them onto the '71 axle or did you swap the axle.

I'm reluctant to swap the axle - according to the Fordification site there were only 465 Flareside F100 4x4s made, and only 7,950 Styleside F100 4X4s. Not a lot more made in 71.

Paul.

My427stang

• View Profile
Ross - did you scavenge the parts from the '79 and transplant them onto the '71 axle or did you swap the axle.

I'm reluctant to swap the axle - according to the Fordification site there were only 465 Flareside F100 4x4s made, and only 7,950 Styleside F100 4X4s. Not a lot more made in 71.

I am swapping the entire front axle, you can't swap the brakes alone, the spindles and axle shafts are different.

Although mine is a 71 short box fleetside 4x4, it didn't come that way, so I don't care about originality
Ross

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
Ross - that is what I thought (you have to swap the axle). I rather like the fact that there were on 465 F100 4X4s built in '69, but at the same time it does keep me from taking it too far from stock.

Was yours converted to 4X4?

Paul.

My427stang

• View Profile
Ross - that is what I thought (you have to swap the axle). I rather like the fact that there were on 465 F100 4X4s built in '69, but at the same time it does keep me from taking it too far from stock.

Was yours converted to 4X4?

I have owned my truck since 1984, when my grandfather passed and left it to me

- It was a 2 barrel 302/C-4 long bed 2WD Heavy Duty Special
- Next, a high revving 302, with 4.11 gears
- Next a 69 4V 351W
- Next, I put 4x4 under it, 360 Holley 500 2 barrel with headers, 3.50 gears, body lift, 38 inch mudders
- Next 4 inch suspension lift, canned the body lift
- Next 390 + .020, variety of configurations and gears, as mild as a 600 Holley with a Performer cam, as wild as a Predator carb with a 150 shot of nitrous with tank mounted in bed on the roll bar
- Next, cut the frame and shortened to 6 foot bed, took two cuts, one out back, one in the middle (been that way since 1990 or so)
- It worked for a living until 1995 when it went into storage
- "Restored" starting in 2009, and ended up as a 445, NP435, 3.50 gear, 33 inch tall tires, 4 inch lift
- Had some issues with the 445, it's on the engine stand, currently a tight quench 390, 9.5:1, Lunati mild cam, 750 Holley, Streetmaster, and sort of fun to drive in a moped kind of way :)  (Sorry 390 guys)
- Next iteration is either build the 445 as a 447, or build a 428 I have here as a 462. 

Ironically, it will likely never see 4WD again, but it's been that way since the 80s, so no desire to go back to 2WD

Ross

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
That is a lot of work for one chassis. Did you box the front frame when you put the front axle in?

Mine only gets into 4WD once a year or so to prove it still works. BTW I mean to say "only 465 F100 4x4s". Having driven it for 15 years I understand why 4WD was not a big seller back in the day. Manual steering, manual brakes, farmer 4 speed, and the equivalent at that time of "shift on the fly 4WD" - having to back up to release the transfer case to take it out of 4WD - make it a joy to drive.

Paul.

Pentroof

• View Profile
Ironically, it will likely never see 4WD again, but it's been that way since the 80s, so no desire to go back to 2WD

C'mon Ross, you may as well. What's a little more hacking and welding? You can't get cheaper or more plentiful than Crown Vic stuff...and it'll stop better than it ever has.

Jim

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
Back then 4WD was intended for the farmer to pull out stumps   :D

cjshaker

• View Profile
Back then 4WD was intended for the farmer to pull out stumps   :D

Back then? I used my Highboy to pull over many a tree that were close to houses and buildings. Cut about 2/3-3/4 the way through the base, hook up as high as I could and start pulling and yanking. Oh, and make durn sure your strap was longer than the tree ;D

When the kids were small, one of our cats got ran up a big tree by something wild. He was at least 50' up and was there for over 2 days, afraid to make the trip back down. No amount of coaxing would work either. I finally got tired of listening to him crying at night, went out and strapped to the tree as high as I could, using a ladder in the back of the truck, then proceeded to shake the heck out of the tree until he decided he was safer on the ground. On the way down, he jumped from about the 15' mark and never stopped till he was back at the house. He was a good cat.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe