Author Topic: The Road to Drag Week 2016 - August 8, 2016  (Read 13979 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
The Road to Drag Week 2016 - August 8, 2016
« on: August 08, 2016, 11:47:47 PM »
More progress this past week, but I'm still behind schedule.  I've been trying like mad to get the engine ready to go for a dyno session on the 20th and 21st, but I'm not sure if I'll make it.  If I do, there is some chance that I can make one trip to the track, over the Labor Day weekend, to get a test run or two in before Drag Week.  If not, then I'll go in cold again, like last year.  I guess last year didn't work out too badly though...

FINALLY on Thursday last week I got my cylinder heads.  Flow numbers for last year's heads vs. this year's are shown in the chart below:

The exhaust was basically the same as last year, but the intake flow is up significantly at the higher lift levels.  I'm not sure what this will mean in terms of horsepower, because there is not a uniform increase at all lifts, just from 0.500" up, but I've got to believe that it will pick up at least 20-30 HP over last year.  We will see on the dyno.

During the week last week I took care of a bunch of odds and ends that needed to get finished, and then starting on Friday I went full bore on the sheet metal intake.  I was going to start working on the heads this weekend too, but I got so wrapped up in the intake that I focused all my efforts on that, with the result that it is now nearly complete; it only needs machining on the flange surfaces to fit down on the heads so the ports line up, and I need to have the heads on the engine for a test fit before I can determine how much to cut, so right now I've gone as far as I can on the intake.  Here are some pictures I took along the way.

After getting both the plenum plates welded to their respective runners, I pushed the two plates together and did a little grinding to get them to fit together.  Here is one of my test fits:

Here's a picture of the port plates bolted onto my jig.  This is the fourth sheet metal intake I've built on this jig; I'm glad I took the time to make it, it has really come in handy over the years:

After putting the plenum plates and runners into position, I welded the runners to the port plates.  This is kind of a trial fit process, where you tack one runner into position, then use clamps or bungie cords or some method to move another runner into position, tack that one in place, etc. etc.  After a bunch of screwing around all the runners were lined up and tacked in position, so I finished welding the seams.  My welding still sucks, but it will get the job done.  When I was done with that I welded the bottom plate onto the intake, leaving the ends a little long so that I could trim them to fit the engine later:

Next I removed the intake from the jig and stuck the partially completed manifold on my smaller CNC machine to cut the holes for the fuel injector bungs:

I also machined each injector bung so that it would conform properly to the inside of the runner, to minimize grinding and port work that would come later.  Then, I welded the bungs into position on the runners, tacking them first with the fuel rail and some old injectors in place.  After that was finished up, I fabricated some brackets to hold the fuel rails in place and welded them onto the intake, so that the fuel rails would bolt on solidly.  Here's a picture of the manifold with the fuel rails and injectors installed:

I got done with all that about midnight on Saturday.  I was out at the shop again early Sunday morning, working on the plenum.  Here's a couple of pictures of the plenum in progress, with all the sheet metal and the top rail tacked in place in the second photo:

It took me most of the afternoon to get all the plenum seams welded up, but I finally finished around 4:00.  Then, it was back on the CNC machine for machining the top surface of the intake, cutting an O-ring groove so that it would seal to the top plate, and drilling and tapping the holes for the top plate.  This machining operation is actually very tricky, because the manifold is not very rigid.  I had to go very slowly, and machine by hand, to get the top rail of the intake machined properly.  Took about 3 hours because I had to go so slow. After that it went a little faster, but I still didn't get done until 11:00 PM on Sunday night.

Tonight I spent the evening in the shop porting the intake, making sure the runner transitions were smooth and any welding bumps ground down.  Here's a picture:

All that's left to do now is to trim the bottom plate, and the port plates, for proper fit on the engine, once the heads are installed.  I figure I've got about 50 hours over the last couple weeks working on this intake manifold, and now that it is done I'm looking forward to making some progress on the engine.  I will try to post another update next weekend.

Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

cobracammer

• View Profile
Re: The Road to Drag Week 2016 - August 8, 2016
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 07:48:13 AM »
I was always curious what "Rifling" would do on an intake manifold in as far as increasing flow.  If you welded in spiral small metal fins, would it increase air flow?  Or maybe instead of welding in a spiral fin, maybe machining in the rifling?  I don't know if has ever been done, but I would imagine it would decrease air flow resistance?  Be cool to test  :0)
Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 08:08:03 AM »
I have to give you credit Jay. You are a true Hot Rodder. You make Joel look like a slacker LOL.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 08:16:44 AM »
Ha, Joel as a slacker!

Jay, how do you test that cool looking intake for any leaks? Air & water? 
Bob Maag

57 lima bean

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 08:52:21 AM »
I have to give you credit Jay. You are a true Hot Rodder. You make Joel look like a slacker LOL.
               Makes me look like I'm in a coma

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 11:02:58 AM »

What do you mean, I make him LOOK like a slacker?  He IS a slacker!  Here it is four and a half weeks before we leave for Drag Week, his engine is still not together, and you guys are running off to Bonneville on Thursday for a week??

Jeff, I think you should be getting ready for another sedate ride in the GTX convertible  ;D
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 11:06:49 AM »

Jay, how do you test that cool looking intake for any leaks? Air & water?

There's no easy way to test it for leaks.  On the dyno, we will see how the engine idles down.  If it doesn't idle down far enough, I may start introducing a little propane from an unlit source around the welded areas, to see if I can find a leak.  But I'm hoping I won't have any problems; didn't leak last year...
Jay Brown

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 11:08:18 AM »
I was always curious what "Rifling" would do on an intake manifold in as far as increasing flow.  If you welded in spiral small metal fins, would it increase air flow?  Or maybe instead of welding in a spiral fin, maybe machining in the rifling?  I don't know if has ever been done, but I would imagine it would decrease air flow resistance?  Be cool to test  :0)

I've thought about that too.  I've got to believe it would hurt flow somewhat, but maybe would provide a more laminar flow of air.  But I've never seen anyone try it, so there's probably not much power there...
Jay Brown

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 11:15:21 AM »
               Makes me look like I'm in a coma

We're going to snap you out of that coma on Thursday night, Steve... ;D
Jay Brown

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 12:32:17 PM »
Jay IS a true hot rodder! That intake is a work of art, and the timeframe he completed it in is amazing. I can think of very few people who have the combination of gifts that Jay has: brains, focus, drive, vision, creativity, perseverance, organized, time manager, and on top of all that, a nice guy.  8)

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 12:56:24 PM »
JAY FOR PRESIDENT!
Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 01:04:39 PM »
Jay IS a true hot rodder! That intake is a work of art, and the timeframe he completed it in is amazing. I can think of very few people who have the combination of gifts that Jay has: brains, focus, drive, vision, creativity, perseverance, organized, time manager, and on top of all that, a nice guy.  8)

Well, great, now I feel bad for calling you a slacker  :(  Unless, of course, you were being sarcastic...  :o
Jay Brown

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 01:28:56 PM »
I'm sincere. But  I do have  request regarding being called a slacker. In the last year or so, I have:

prepared my 1910 Maytag for the 10,000 lakes concours, and won "outstanding in class"

Got 3/4 of the way thru rebuilding the engine in my Duesenberg

Located a very rare 1930 Cadillac V-16 engine, and drove to the east coast to get it.

Got my 67 GTX convert ready and ran Drag Week with it.

Toured the REVS institute

went to at least 10 car shows

drag raced my pickup at Bradenton Florida

Went to a drag race at sunshine dragstrip, Pinelas Park FL

Went to circle track race at Desoto Speedway

Went to a big drag event at Bradenton, met John Calvert and talked about suspension stuff

went to the Amelia Island concours d' elegance

Defeated Wayne Carini in automotive trivia 3 times in a row

Shook hands with and got autographs from: Don Garlits, Ed Pink, Roger Bailey, Spenny Clendenen, and Alwin Springer.

Made significant, (but insufficient) progress on my 31 Plymouth for Drag Week (steering, brakes, straighten warped rear end, etc)

Put the stroker 392 Hemi together for the hot rod, set up the 8 carb and the 1 and 2 carb intakes, dynode it, had a head leak water into a cylinder, blew out a cylinder, tore it apart, got it sleeved, dynode it again, still had a head leak, got the head welded

Got a bunch of work done on my 67 442 convert and then took my wife on a road trip in it to North Caralina, saw the worlds largest Walleye, the Spam Museum, the National Quilt Museum

Raced the Olds in "cars and Cones" a drag week style event where you autocross instead of drag race for a week. Charolette NC to Jasper IN.

Trailered the Maytag to Medora ND where is was invited to be the "special event" car at their annual show

getting the FAST GTX converted for Drag Week 2016. Motor almost done, most parts are here

Besides that I:

keep work in front of 20 roofers every day, and keep them pointed in the right direction

manage a bunch of residential and commercial properties, keep them full of tenants and in good repair

renovated a dilapidated 20000 sf commercial building

Vice chairman of the board where I co-manage a self insured work comp group of 110 contractors

Council Chairman/ congregation President at our church (weekly evening meetings, several phone calls/emails daily)

Cemetery administrator

Play in a band (banjo)

maintain a family with wife, kids and grand kids old folks

try to maintain a "hobby farm"

And somehow I am figuring I can squeeze in Speed Week at Bonneville before Drag Week

So anyway, my point is, I prefer that you call me "Slacker in Chief"

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 01:53:47 PM »
O Lord I'm tired ;)
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2016, 02:14:16 PM »
I'm sincere. But  I do have  request regarding being called a slacker. In the last year or so, I have:

prepared my 1910 Maytag for the 10,000 lakes concours, and won "outstanding in class"

Got 3/4 of the way thru rebuilding the engine in my Duesenberg

Located a very rare 1930 Cadillac V-16 engine, and drove to the east coast to get it.

Got my 67 GTX convert ready and ran Drag Week with it.

Toured the REVS institute

went to at least 10 car shows

drag raced my pickup at Bradenton Florida

Went to a drag race at sunshine dragstrip, Pinelas Park FL

Went to circle track race at Desoto Speedway

Went to a big drag event at Bradenton, met John Calvert and talked about suspension stuff

went to the Amelia Island concours d' elegance

Defeated Wayne Carini in automotive trivia 3 times in a row

Shook hands with and got autographs from: Don Garlits, Ed Pink, Roger Bailey, Spenny Clendenen, and Alwin Springer.

Made significant, (but insufficient) progress on my 31 Plymouth for Drag Week (steering, brakes, straighten warped rear end, etc)

Put the stroker 392 Hemi together for the hot rod, set up the 8 carb and the 1 and 2 carb intakes, dynode it, had a head leak water into a cylinder, blew out a cylinder, tore it apart, got it sleeved, dynode it again, still had a head leak, got the head welded

Got a bunch of work done on my 67 442 convert and then took my wife on a road trip in it to North Caralina, saw the worlds largest Walleye, the Spam Museum, the National Quilt Museum

Raced the Olds in "cars and Cones" a drag week style event where you autocross instead of drag race for a week. Charolette NC to Jasper IN.

Trailered the Maytag to Medora ND where is was invited to be the "special event" car at their annual show

getting the FAST GTX converted for Drag Week 2016. Motor almost done, most parts are here

Besides that I:

keep work in front of 20 roofers every day, and keep them pointed in the right direction

manage a bunch of residential and commercial properties, keep them full of tenants and in good repair

renovated a dilapidated 20000 sf commercial building

Vice chairman of the board where I co-manage a self insured work comp group of 110 contractors

Council Chairman/ congregation President at our church (weekly evening meetings, several phone calls/emails daily)

Cemetery administrator

Play in a band (banjo)

maintain a family with wife, kids and grand kids old folks

try to maintain a "hobby farm"

And somehow I am figuring I can squeeze in Speed Week at Bonneville before Drag Week

So anyway, my point is, I prefer that you call me "Slacker in Chief"

LOL!!!! For those that do not know... I give Joel WAY more grief then he deserves. But he DOES have automotive ADD.