Author Topic: Garden block test mule  (Read 53090 times)

fekbmax

• View Profile
Re: Garden block test mule
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2015, 08:36:41 PM »
It's been a busy holiday so far and I have finally gotten to a point that I could get a little time to my self. I kinda  cheated some today and took off a half day to get a jump start on my long 4 day weekend. I have been wanting to get some time to start putting together the short block. This afternoon was spent checking my main bearing clearances. It's a long drawn out process as we all know, nothing to terribly hard just alot of installing main caps and pulling them back off repeatedly as I'm moving bearings around to get them in place for acceptable clearance. Once I was happy after a few hours of swapping bearings around I was able to break them back down and clean them up by hand with some 1800 (white) scuff pads. It was close to time for me to go get the wife so I cleaned up and re bagged the block and I'm hoping that tomorrow I can Finally get started assembling the bottom end. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping I have some time to spend on it over the weekend, I actually took a few vacation days even though we are off for the holidays because that way I'm able to call the answering service at 6am and take myself off call till Monday morning.
Long story short, I'm anxious to get started..

Checking main bearing clearances, time consuming but was very happy with the outcome, just think, still have 8 rods to go.

Bottom end parts assembly table, everything ready to go. No survival motorsports adjustable timing set or the used DannyBee I was suppose to get but the guys keeps putting me off and even tried to raise the price, not cool. I'll probably stick it together with the roll master for now till something comes available...

I did manage to knock the cam bearings in .
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 11:40:31 PM by fekbmax »
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2016, 10:19:36 PM »
10 year old Scat 9000 series crankshaft. Only 10 - 12  1/8th mile passes.  4.125 stroke. Balanced, polished, ready to go.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 11:42:15 PM by fekbmax »
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2016, 10:25:12 PM »
Camshaft freshly repaired by Delta camshafts. I was very pleased with the work, quick turn around and charge for repairs n the damaged lobe. They also checked for straightness and polished the camshaft after matching the lobes up making the camshaft consistent.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 11:44:46 PM by fekbmax »
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2016, 11:42:26 AM »
piston and rod combo assembled and ready for rings. again most all these parts are "shelf or catalog type parts ( except for the Venolia custom pistons of-course) that i have had and all have very little use on them. the rings are file fit JE's
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 12:27:26 AM by fekbmax »
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2016, 11:57:34 AM »
finally bearing clearances , crankshaft end play, all adjusted and crankshaft assembled into block. smooth as butter,  ;) , im liking it. main stud girdle clearance'd and installed.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 12:28:59 AM by fekbmax »
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2016, 12:42:41 PM »
Sexy ;)
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2016, 12:44:25 PM »
Using a tapered solid aluminum ring compressor? After years of using the rachet-type universal (Lisle Tools) compressor, bought a bore-sized solid compressor and will never go back! Talk about easy-peasy.
Bob Maag

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2016, 01:14:58 PM »
adjustable aluminum tapered ring compressor, LOL. still pretty easy-peasy...
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2016, 03:07:37 PM »
after spending most of the night last night getting my rod bearing clearances all set and sizing my rings to each cylinder , today i spent most of my time getting the pistons in the holes and getting a little closer to buttoning up the bottom end. its a slow progress but im always on 24 hour call and with all the bad weather this weekend i have been called out alot on several heat and plumbing calls. ill get there though.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 12:31:45 AM by fekbmax »
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2016, 03:28:50 PM »
Only a slight bit of clearancing to rod bolts needed to clear the bottom of cylinders.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 12:33:07 AM by fekbmax »
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2016, 07:38:48 PM »
Looks good Keith. Tons of time in oiling mods. I'm just guessing here, your gonna connect the #4 hydraulic fittings a with a tube/hose?
Kevin McCullah

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2016, 07:50:00 PM »
Braided hose from #4 looping around through rear block skirt and catching rear main.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 02:55:54 PM by fekbmax »
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2016, 10:15:52 PM »
Looking great Keith! :) Did you make the main girdle yourself, or was it one of the Concept Design Engineer pieces? I like the oil mods too.

adjustable aluminum tapered ring compressor, LOL. still pretty easy-peasy...

We just recently bought one and I don't care to think about ever using the old style compressor again! Works like a charm.
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2016, 07:00:22 AM »
It's actually one of Tim's girdle's that has been hanging up on the wall for a while. I used it at first for a pattern and made two from it for other engine's . I did make me a master pattern from this one out of a 3/32 piece of aluminum for future use.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2016, 08:17:33 AM »
I really suck at taking pcts while I'm trying to do stuff and then wish I would have. Most of this stuff is all basic engine assembly though such as sizing rings and fitting bearings, all things that most of you guys have done countless times. It's funny how it gets lost on people just how much time it takes to do seemingly the simplest things. I have a friend from work who has done a few re builds himself for a work truck or his 4x4 that stops by every now and then when I'm in the shop working. He's always asking me why its taking me so long to get the crank in or why it was in one day and back out the next, and as much as you try and explain things it seems many don't understand just how much work it is to properly assemble a performance engine.. So many checks, test, clearances to be set and constantly cleaning everything. I spent all weekend fitting rod bearings and rings and then just getting the piston's in the holes.  Late yesterday while listening to the games I did take the time to get my oiling system fittings installed.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 02:57:30 PM by fekbmax »
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.