Poll

Why don't I put an SOHC in my car?

Cost of building the engine is too high
63 (77.8%)
Complexity of the engine is too great
2 (2.5%)
Doesn't fit in the vehicles I like (e.g. shock tower interference)
7 (8.6%)
Spotty availability of the parts
4 (4.9%)
It wouldn't be original to the vehicle
0 (0%)
Not interested in aftermarket SOHC components, only factory Ford parts
1 (1.2%)
Concerns about the engine's reliability
0 (0%)
Other (please specify)
4 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: Why aren't more people building SOHCs?  (Read 28621 times)

babybolt

• View Profile
Re: Why aren't more people building SOHCs?
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2014, 07:42:54 PM »
I'm just thinking that by the time an engine is assembled, its too pretty to put in a car and they wind up as garage art or if the woman of the house is car friendly, as living room furniture.

fe66comet

« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2014, 08:58:55 PM »
Honestly I can get way more horsepower for a lot less money in a smaller package. Modern engines produce more power and get better fuel economy. Plus for the cost of a 427 SOHC I could buy a whole street drivable 1000 HP Shelby Super Snake and have something with resale value. If you drop a SOHC in a Mustang you had better love it because if you sell it you are gonna take a monster hit.

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2014, 11:42:03 PM »
Jay, got to ask something about the "efficiency" of the 427SOHC
  FoMoCo has made a commitment to go with "cammer" motors and ditched the pushrods. The no-brainer advantage is that cammer ports do not have to compete for real estate with pushrods - this allows for better ports/breathing. The second key feature of cammers is they run a fraction of the valvetrain weight and that spells high rpm capacity that OHVs can only dream of which is great on a  race track.
   Is there any way to compare a moderate OHC with a OHV in power clear across the power band as close as can be apples to apples?.................
    What I'm aiming at is an "economy" SOHC can not take advantage of the RPM allowed by the lightweight valvetrain - In other words a SOHC that is going to utilize the advantage of it's lightweight valvetrain requires a shortblock that can rev like crazy.  High Revs are real rough on an economy build because where that OHCs rpm goes demand$ high dollar components.

427Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2014, 11:59:33 PM »
I will probably build/get one in the next few years for my 68..I don't care about anything better,more powerfull or lighter..A bone stock factory one would be just fine with me...

I have already made room for one in the 68...

1968 Mustang Fastback...427 MR 5spd (owned since 1977)
1967 Mustang coupe...Trans Am replica
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2014, 07:05:43 AM »
Nice work on those shock towers  :)
Bob Maag

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2014, 11:42:52 AM »
I think that may be a more appropriate Poll regarding SOHC's....

Why do you want a SOHC 427?

1. cuz I just freaking gotta have one, nothing else will scratch the itch
2. Because it looks so awesome!
3. Because I want the pinnacle of 1960's FE technology (lump this is with the OEM type equipment folks)
4. I have too much money and this beats playing golf
5. I measure my genitals with a micrometer and this makes me feel better

Either way, total respect to anyone that slogs away building one, I simply lack the motivation.

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2014, 11:59:10 AM »
I think that may be a more appropriate Poll regarding SOHC's....

Why do you want a SOHC 427?

1. cuz I just freaking gotta have one, nothing else will scratch the itch
2. Because it looks so awesome!
3. Because I want the pinnacle of 1960's FE technology (lump this is with the OEM type equipment folks)
4. I have too much money and this beats playing golf

Either way, total respect to anyone that slogs away building one, I simply lack the motivation.
As with me too....I no longer wrench just for the sake of wrenching. No more building a engine then looking for a car or boat to put it in. These days I want all my cars to be dead nuttz reliable so I don't HAVE to work on them. All my cars are "Would drive anywhere, at any time" reliable with only a oil/water/tire check.

Royce

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2014, 12:46:05 PM »

This is the affliction most scrub owners suffer from.  Esp Corvette owners
1955 Thunderbird Competition Coupe Altered Chassis "War Bird" 383 Lincoln Y block 520 hp
1955 Thunderbird 292 275 hp Y Block
1956 Ford Victoria 292 Y block

1957 Mercury 2dr Wagon "Battle Wagon" drag car 
1957 Thunderbird Glass body Tube Chassis drag car 333 cu in 500 hp Ford Y block
1961 Starliner 390/375 clone
1965 GT40 tribute w/FE
1966 Falcon Pro Touring project
Kaase Boss 547. 840 HP 698 Torque  pump gas
1992 BMW V-12 5.0
2001 Lincoln 5.4 4 cam.
1968 Cougar XR7

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2014, 12:52:47 PM »
I'm still planning on being the first guy on planet earth to put a SOHC in a F250 Highboy. But having the stones to actually go out and bash on it like you Jay will be a challenge.  ;D
Kevin McCullah

sixty3

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2014, 01:20:31 PM »
It sure would look good in my 63 boxtop, BUT keeping with the goal of G-code tribute for now.  So guess I may have to pull the plug on the 63.5 fastback I've been looking at!  Reality is I'm one of the younger ( and lots to learn ) crowd.  Got "hooked" on the Nostalgic drag racing before the Meltdowns and other events.  They just pushed me over the edge to get it done, now I'm thinking of a second car, more for my wife than me or that's what she thinks. So I will always stay with the FE and doubt I WILL have funds for both it and a strictly drag car that would then get a 385series.

Reality is I will most likely never be able to afford it.  But hope all who have contributed will continue and increase public exposure.  I never thought I would get a 427, but the possibility is still there.  When the time comes will have to decide 427 or stroked 390?  There is a local racer who has complete package for cheaper if not the same cost as stroked 390. As usual no money ( or not enough for both ) at the moment so I will leave work today with the ride that got me here....1963 Galaxie powered by the garage built 390 and proud of it.

As stated above I will set back and dream of what the big dogs are running and hoping some day just to get a ride........
Later
Kevin

57yblock

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2014, 11:31:20 PM »
I have to add my opinion and you know what it will be. COST and bottom line. Kasse P51 heads are 845.00 dollars apiece bare. The block for a 385 is usually about a 100.00 or a little more. A complete stroker kit is going to be less that 2000.00. Start figuring it out. The rest of the stuff to complete the engine is going to be roughly the same price as a brand X big block. A pump gas engine will easily make 750 plus hp with not any drama. The stock block will handle somewhere over 800hp too. I really just bolted my 545 together without any specialized parts and it made slightly over 700 hp and 700 ft lbs of torque. well over 300 dragstrip passes with minimal problems and it crosses the finish line at 6700 every pass. Mine has the Ford cobra jet second gen aluminum heads not the P51's which are even better. :) I know the "bling" effect is not there but affordability is very real to compete with the brand X junk.

Richard F

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2014, 08:18:21 PM »
Cost is one factor, but the biggest factor is reliability of the aftermarket parts.  I remember the problems you were having with rocker arms.  I, being 53, have always dreamed of Boss 429's and 427 cammers.  I never had the money for either until recently.  I have run some nice 390's, 289's, and a 351C, but I always longed for one of the Holy Grails...a cammer or Boss.  Now I can afford one...I'd prefer a cammer since the FE is my first love.

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2014, 07:08:27 PM »
A cammer is way more wow facter ,  385 is cheaper and boss nine stuff is available ... BUTT if Jay or some one does this a 520 inch f e could make 700-750 h p as well .. Bud 
69 mach 1 , 428 C J  Blue Oval Performance BBM heads -T@D rocker s- Blue thunder intake - Comp hydr roller - MSD ignition - FPA headers- Holley 850 hp double pumper - TKO 600 - 9 inch 3.89 Detroit Locker . ride tech coil over conversion - power rack @ pinoin steering - 13 inch drilled @ slotted 4 wheel disc brakes ..

hotrodfeguy

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2014, 10:39:47 PM »
I think if I won the Powerball and money was a non issue, I would go find a nice 55-57 Chevy and drop a CAMMER in it. Just to piss off the Bow ties. And so I could tell them it was the only way I could make it go faster  ;D  And even then with the CI a BOSS engine can come up with is amazing. And I have to be honest if a person got that to seriously hook up that would be a fun ride.

But it does come down to $$$ While I am still waiting on my wedge heads for my 427 stroker. it was the way I chose and I was going to part together a cammer one by one over time. But the cost of a seriously nice Powerstroke truck came to mind and I said screw it. And if done right you can come fairly close with a wedge. Granted would I ever beat a cammer? Most likely not. Will I have fun with my 527 wedge yes. I have also heard that the cammer has the ability to run a much larger 4.75 crank in it. as the cam is no longer a contact point. But even then, that brings in a VERY custom crank.

Garyford

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2014, 03:46:46 PM »
As the cost is above my hobby budget, that is probably the most rigid personal reason.  But from an emotional point of view (more heart, less accountant) I generally favor simple solutions, so I voted that way, trying to extrapolate my feelings if cost were not an issue.

It would be a bit embarrassing to have such a mighty engine in a 15 second car I am capable of putting together, and then have someone like DaleP show up with a low 10 second car powered by a pickup truck 390 (slight exaggeration on the pickup truck description, but he does keep a low profile).