Poll

Why don't I put an SOHC in my car?

Cost of building the engine is too high
63 (77.8%)
Complexity of the engine is too great
2 (2.5%)
Doesn't fit in the vehicles I like (e.g. shock tower interference)
7 (8.6%)
Spotty availability of the parts
4 (4.9%)
It wouldn't be original to the vehicle
0 (0%)
Not interested in aftermarket SOHC components, only factory Ford parts
1 (1.2%)
Concerns about the engine's reliability
0 (0%)
Other (please specify)
4 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: Why aren't more people building SOHCs?  (Read 28619 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Why aren't more people building SOHCs?
« on: September 17, 2014, 12:40:46 PM »
It's been about 5-6 years since the aftermarket started stepping up with SOHC parts, so that it would be possible to build a complete SOHC engine from aftermarket parts.  The SOHC is definitely the king of the FE engines, and I for one figured that we would start to see a whole bunch of them in various 1960s Ford vehicles once the aftermarket parts became available.  There certainly are more of them out there than there used to be, but not as many as I figured there would be by now.  What gives?  Why aren't more people building these killer engines?  I posted the poll above to try to get an idea of what people are thinking on this.  If you have a different reason than those listed, please post in this thread to explain.  I'm very curious about this...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

MRadke

• View Profile
Re: Why aren't more people building SOHCs?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 01:13:23 PM »
I'll take a stab at this Jay.

In my case, I make enough to live comfortably and keep my car up but even small things like a set of headers mean taking funds away from something else more important to my family.

For those people with the available budget, I think that it is still more of a car show and statement engine that doesn't fit in very many racing classes.  Like it or not, it is perceived to be more expensive to build and maintain than other engines of similar horsepower capability.  It is most certainly beyond the realm of the average garage build in complexity. 

I applaud your efforts to advance the state of the art of  these engines and have followed most if not all of your builds with great interest.  Best of luck on rebuilding your drag week engine.  I'll be watching for progress.

Mike

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 01:36:57 PM »
To be brutally honest, If I were going to build an engine that physical size, it would be a Boss 600 CI with Kaase heads and intake.  It is cheaper, would make more horsepower, much more reliable, and has many more parts readily available in the aftermarket.  I like the FE about as well as anyone, and I have 4 complete FEs, but there ARE other engines that make horsepower easier and cheaper and are easier to work with.  JMO, but I am FORD through and through---Y block, anyone???  LOL  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 01:53:16 PM »
You need deep pockets to build a serious FE.
You need to sew pocket extenders on to even consider a SOHC.
My fantasy is a 871 bird catcher injected SOHC.

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 01:54:32 PM »
For me, (false perception or not), they are still too expensive component wise.  Take a decent pair of aftermarket aluminum heads...you're looking roughly double the cost for a set of base cammer heads vs a set of base regular heads.  I'm not seeing a prices on used parts being that much lower either.  A guy can probably find a good used pair of regular aluminum heads for under a grand complete via forums, ePay or occasionally on craigslist.  I can't even remember the last time I saw a set of used cammer heads...anywhere outside of ePay and they were still spendy.

gtxpress

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 01:59:21 PM »
When you look around and find this....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Ford-Aluminum-SOHC-427-FE-Cammer-Engine-Complete-/380282550288

It is a little pricey to say the least. 

tell me you can build one for 15K and I would vote for that.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 02:04:40 PM »
For me, (false perception or not), they are still too expensive component wise. 

It's no false perception, they are really expensive component wise, starting with the heads.  I'm trying to figure out if that is the biggest barrier to entry, or if there is more to it than that.  To me, the fact that they won't drop into the shock tower cars is a big drawback...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 02:07:52 PM »
I'm with Joe.....  I LOVE the FE's, and I'd happily kick the 429 outta my car for a 427, but if I could, a 521 Boss would be a cinch to build at home (lets not forget I'm 3 hours from Winder Georgia) and I suspect I could make the same power level as anyone with a SOHC.

nothing against the SOHC, but for a cruiser like I've got where drag racing isn't really a priority, If someone gave me a set of SOHC heads right now, I'd probably sell them on Ebay and build a different engine....

that ebay link!!!
for a dude that lives in a $90k house (me), I couldn't justify building a $45k engine.

I'm gonna add a small reason for myself....
I'm 35 years old, i never saw a SOHC in action, never thought about it, never lusted over it.....  I got into Ford's because I was poor and 70's era ford trucks were cheap and ran forever.  If they did break a trip to the junkyard yielded what I needed for $50 or less.  Thus I became a Ford-Man....   I never even noticed Chevy cars, they all look pretty much the same to me, Dodges muscle cars are pretty, but WAY overpriced for what they are.  So when I saw a 63.5 Galaxie with a 427 my heart fell, I was in love, I didn't know what it'd take, but I HAD to have one.  So when I finally started making stupid amounts of money, I went and got one to fix up (ended up being 2 of them because I suck at body work).  I was still in that poverty awareness, deeply rooted in my core, so a 427 wasn't gonna happen, but a 429 provided the fix.  Someday the 427 wedge might happen, but I still don't get tight pants near a SOHC. 
I voted "too expensive" in this poll, but to be honest, I really need to click about three or four of those buttons.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 02:17:36 PM by Drew Pojedinec »

gtxpress

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 02:13:55 PM »
1+

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 02:28:02 PM »
In the latest Hot Rod magazine, John Kaase has an ad for a complete Boss Nine engine kit for the do-it-yourself engine builder that includes his semi-hemi cylinder heads, accompanying pistons, pins and rings, as well as pushrods, shaft-mounted rockers, and induction system.  Everything to complete the full assembly is supplied--except the block, crank, and rods.  Even Boss valve covers for $9100.  I have a completed 460 Super Cobra Jet engine(alum. heads) I built for a customer that dynoes at 651/590 and I built it complete from Canton oil pan to Dominator/Victor with solid lifter camshaft for less than $8500.  I purchased a Motorsports 460 short block with 11.5 cr for this build.  A set of Hooker Super Comp headers, and it was complete for less than $9200.00  You cannot begin to build a 650 hp FE for that amount in todays market.  Joe-JDC
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 02:31:52 PM by Joe-JDC »
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

XR7

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 02:46:38 PM »
I think the top 3 options for answers on your poll, are probably the reasons in that order. I have never seen one and couldn't afford to build one either. Although there are now parts to build them, I think it will take awhile to "populate" so to speak. I have heard there are more and more being built and "car builders" are doing show cars with them, etc.

I did talk with Doug at Precision oil pumps recently, and he said he is selling a ton of SOHC parts now. So I guess people are building them, we just don't hear about all of them maybe?

I have a new friend that is trying to get one built, Coon's heads, Shelby block, belt drive, etc. and is having trouble with his "builder", he's been sending thousands of dollars again and again, but no progress. I hate to hear stories like that, but it can happen with any engine I guess, not the engines fault...
68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior

Ford428CJ

• FE FREAK!
    • View Profile
    • Hillside Auto
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 03:45:45 PM »
I would say the price tag! Most guys (to include me) cant afford a 427... Let alone a SOHC 427! Most of the guys here can fab up some stuff. No doubt about that and make it fit! I cant justify $35000+ for 1 FE. I could build 4~6 FE's or so with that kind of money.... Parts or no parts... Price is way to high LOL. JMHO
Wes Adams FORD428CJ 
Hillside Auto- Custom Curved, Blueprinted Distributors
03 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 6.0 and 35's
64 Falcon 428FE
55 FORD Truck 4-link Rides on air with 428FE

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 04:14:25 PM »
I have built several.  Many are not yet in cars - very long term projects.
I think the holdback really is cost.
Many FE builds are an accumulation of years - or decades of collecting.
The wedge motors can be built to over 800HP and still cost less that the entry level Cammer.
You simply need to be a really, really serious hitter to make the jump.
Once you do - you never want to step back :)

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 04:15:18 PM »

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 04:21:57 PM »
Bang for the buck..or lack of is why I don't build a Cammer.  Other than eye appeal running a Cammer on the street is a complete waste of money just to impress the fools and idiots who think my 60 or 61 Starliner is a Pontiac Bonneville or a DeSoto. Having that much horsepower in a street only vehicle is too tempting and dangerous, at least for me as I hold a class 1 drivers licence and any moving violation would mean my commercial truck insurance would more than double in cost if I could obtain it at all [depending on the violation] [exhibition of speed or dragracing can mean jail time], not to speak of the fine or possibly even a stretch in the Greybar Hotel. Up until a couple of years ago I ran 2 385 series powered flatbottom-V-drive boats [lake/river only] and could easily get my speed fix in one of those with little or no fear of a moving violation. And the sensation of speed on water is 10 times that of a car.

65er

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2014, 04:30:19 PM »
It's not entirely about horsepower per dollar!  I could have certainly done a BBF of the same power as my FE for less money but I wanted the FE.  As cool as the cammers are, I have two strikes against them.

1) completely out of my price range. Not even within daydreaming distance.   Just getting the somewhat typical (high end of typical I guess) 390 based stroker was a huge chunk for me and cammer prices are almost triple what I spent. In fact, my 458" stroker was about 4X what I spent on the previous motor that I took out.  And that one was and still is a perfectly good stock-ish power plant.   

2) less importantly, it wasn't what came in the car.  If I wanted a huge beastly non-original style motor in my Galaxie, I guess it would have been a much less expensive 521" BBF.  Or if I really dug the valve covers, maybe a Boss-headed BBF.  The 6V FE was the one I felt belonged in there so the $/hp ratio wasn't that much of a factor.
-Wade

458" Blair Partick stroker/TKO 600 .64 OD/3.89 gears

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2014, 04:34:41 PM »
Definitely price for me.
Even though my next engine will be an all aftermarket stroker, I love using the old Ford iron just for the cool historical purposes of saying that it's an all Ford 427. To anybody that knows old school racing, a "real" 427 just commands respect. I have 2 complete 427 SO Medium Riser engines that are all Ford from the oval air-cleaners down to the factory deep sump pans, and although I wouldn't have a seconds qualm about using aftermarket parts for an SOHC, those 2 427s equal about as much as I'd have in one SOHC.

In this instance I choose quantity over quality ;D
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2014, 05:01:20 PM »
I have 2 complete 427 SO Medium Riser engines that are all Ford from the oval air-cleaners down to the factory deep sump pans,

How long did it take you to collect the parts for those two?
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

BH107

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2014, 05:18:46 PM »
I'm pretty fortunate to get to play with them anytime I want, but I'll probably never justify building one for myself. For just the cost of the engine I could build a really nice second car. But no one can deny they are cool, and if I won the lottery I would own a couple.

BH107

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2014, 05:19:48 PM »
It's not entirely about horsepower per dollar!  I could have certainly done a BBF of the same power as my FE for less money but I wanted the FE.  As cool as the cammers are, I have two strikes against them.

1) completely out of my price range. Not even within daydreaming distance.   Just getting the somewhat typical (high end of typical I guess) 390 based stroker was a huge chunk for me and cammer prices are almost triple what I spent. In fact, my 458" stroker was about 4X what I spent on the previous motor that I took out.  And that one was and still is a perfectly good stock-ish power plant.   

2) less importantly, it wasn't what came in the car.  If I wanted a huge beastly non-original style motor in my Galaxie, I guess it would have been a much less expensive 521" BBF.  Or if I really dug the valve covers, maybe a Boss-headed BBF.  The 6V FE was the one I felt belonged in there so the $/hp ratio wasn't that much of a factor.

As for point number 2...Ford did actually build a 65 Galaxie prototype with a Cammer... Just sayin...

mlcraven

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2014, 05:22:28 PM »
I voted "too expensive" in this poll, but to be honest, I really need to click about three or four of those buttons.

Me too...cost, complexity, fit -- all work against the SOHC.  But I admire the technology and have tremendous respect and admiration for the folks who go down the path. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 05:26:16 PM by mlcraven »
Michael

country63sedan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2014, 06:01:20 PM »
Another vote for cost. I'm saving for an iron headed wedge for the wagon. Now, if we're talking lottery money --  then I'd put a daily driver cammer (seriously) in the wagon. I'd also put a cammer or boss9 in the 35 Shivvy pickup. I'd LOVE to have a cammer, but the reality is that I'll always find something else to spend that money on. I'll just dream while looking at someone else's Later, Travis

427fordman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2014, 06:09:47 PM »
I voted because it won't fit in the shock tower cars, but the cost is actually probably more of a reason..

65er

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2014, 06:25:48 PM »
As for point number 2...Ford did actually build a 65 Galaxie prototype with a Cammer... Just sayin...

That's pretty cool, I didn't know that!
-Wade

458" Blair Partick stroker/TKO 600 .64 OD/3.89 gears

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2014, 06:56:28 PM »
From strictly a personal stand point here are my reasons;
1. High price. However, I do acknowledge there are a lot of baby boomers out there wanting the toys of their youth and now have the wherewithal to make it happen so money really isn't it
2. Complexity. From what I have seen, when you get all the parts back from the machine shop there is still a bunch more to do before you can even think of putting it together. Although not on the same level, when I got my 521(460) back from the machine shop it was pretty much ready to bolt together. I only had to re-re-recheck clearances and check for proper pushrod lengths.
3. Now it's not novel. This is probably the biggest one for me. This extends into the wedge motors as well. After I finally collected all the parts to build my 427/452 MR I felt like I had finally become a "member of the club" since I knew there were a finite number of 427 blocks out there. However, by the time I got the motor together the aftermarket had stepped up and now instead of years long searches of swap meets and want ads for parts, all you had to do was write a check and you had one. For me that took the novelty out of it and that is one of the reasons I have built my 521(460). Believe it or not, nearly every component in the long block on my 521 carries a Ford p/n. This is just my opinion as I know the overwhelming majority of FE owners rejoiced when the aftermarket stepped up.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 06:58:50 PM by AlanCasida »

BH107

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2014, 07:10:24 PM »

That's pretty cool, I didn't know that!

Sorry, I just went and looked and it was a 66. http://www.dearbornflashback.com/xfiles.asp

But Bob Ford also campained a 65 in B/FX with a SOHC 427 in it.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2014, 08:50:13 PM »
Price for me, however as of the middle of 2015, Mrs Stang will have her Masters done and Baby Stang will have her Undergrad complete, which means no more college bills!   Maybe it will change :)

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2014, 09:32:50 PM »
To me its about the money they cost , when you re  restoring or resto mod ng , i chose a 428 because it would bolt on , and yes i wanted to have 500 hp and a 5 speed , maybe disc brakes at all 4 corners . I can afford a stroker crank , aluminum heads and such but a sohc  is just out of reach .. Maybe some day .... Bud
69 mach 1 , 428 C J  Blue Oval Performance BBM heads -T@D rocker s- Blue thunder intake - Comp hydr roller - MSD ignition - FPA headers- Holley 850 hp double pumper - TKO 600 - 9 inch 3.89 Detroit Locker . ride tech coil over conversion - power rack @ pinoin steering - 13 inch drilled @ slotted 4 wheel disc brakes ..

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2014, 10:07:24 PM »
For me, it's primarily the cost and following on from that, the availability of parts. Down here in Australia, parts for an FE are generally about 20-30% more expensive than what you pay in the US, factoring in shipping, exchange rates and customs fees.

I have 2 FE powered cars, a 63 Galaxie that is mainly a street car, and a 64 Fairlane drag car. Both cars have the engine bay that will accommodate a SOHC engine, so that's not an issue. However, the SOHC in the Galaxie would purely be for pose value, as the  new 462 cube 6V engine in it currently makes way more power than I can use on the street. So if I built a SOHC engine, it would be a full race engine for my drag car. And that is where I find the cost becomes too expensive, even compared to a full race wedge head FE.

I did partially venture into getting parts together to put a SOHC together and decided to try using our local parts source. However, the parts I did receive were not to the quality I want, and I am still awaiting an outcome of the cancellation of the remainder of my order. I don't really want to air my experiences here, but mention it only as another reason why I am no longer going down that path.

I would love to own and run a SOHC in either of my cars, as Jay said, they are the pinnacle of FE power. But reality of the shallow depths of my pockets, complexity of assembling and maintaining the engine, and availability of parts are the reasons I will probably never own one.

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2014, 10:26:01 PM »
We need a select all that apply button.

1. It won't fit in my Mustang without major surgery.
2. It is a really expensive for the parts.

Yes, the SOHC is overly complicated. But, if you have the desire to learn and the common since to ask for help or advice, then most anything is possible. To someone that has never rebuilt any type of engine, they are all complicated.

When you walk up to  a car with a Cammer in it, the WOW factor is way high.

I might as well add a Cammer to my list of things to buy with my lottery check!! Haha
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2014, 10:26:42 PM »
It's been about 5-6 years since the aftermarket started stepping up with SOHC parts, so that it would be possible to build a complete SOHC engine from aftermarket parts.  The SOHC is definitely the king of the FE engines, and I for one figured that we would start to see a whole bunch of them in various 1960s Ford vehicles once the aftermarket parts became available.  There certainly are more of them out there than there used to be, but not as many as I figured there would be by now.  What gives?  Why aren't more people building these killer engines?  I posted the poll above to try to get an idea of what people are thinking on this.  If you have a different reason than those listed, please post in this thread to explain.  I'm very curious about this...

With out a doubt if the cost was not what it is I would have a SOHC in my pickup or other ford~mercury product.

My 2nd choice would be a Boss9

My 482 cost in excess of 12k to build and that was in 2009 $$  All that for 500 something HP

Back in 1992 I build a 700hp daily driver 460 for well under 10k

I currently have a half dozen FE's

I am currently doing a  v-6 that will put down same power to the wheels as my 482 for fraction of the cost (roughly 1/3) & get over 20mpg doing it.

I will probably always own a FE but HP per $$ is very high.

chris401

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2014, 12:14:06 AM »
Cash and priorities never seem to balance out here. If circumstances allowed I could see first year soch in same year Galaxie.

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2014, 05:24:06 AM »
For me its the cost factor, although I have dropped 18Gs on my Harley bobber project the last 4yrs. A medical setback 4 yrs ago didn`t help either. If time and money permit maybe I`ll have one. Right now I`ll just mess with my 4 medrisers and my TP engines.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2014, 06:51:21 AM »
Yes, the poll Jay should have allowed multiple answers. For me, it's the top 3. Cost-wise, I'll venture that a crate cammer would easily top $30K and likely approach $40K. That's a lot of beans! 

Unless one has a older full-size Ford body, it won't fit w/o serious hacking in later unibody cars.

I've commented here before (and our current poster's need for your expert cam timing help verifies this) that a book detailing how-to-assemble a SOHC, especially the front dress issues, would be a winner. That and a tutorial, as you  already did here on-line) on how-to correctly set cam timing and not bend valves!

Last, I agree with others there that I can buy a killer, ready-to-run 385 series BBF (with or without those cool Kaase Boss 429 heads) that will easily do 800+ hp at 555 CID.  Kaase's $22,900 price for a running, carb-equipped Boss 9 is hard to beat.

http://www.jonkaaseracingengines.com/component/content/article/217-jon-kaase-custom-built-boss-nine-and-p-51-engines.html

« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 06:59:25 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

sumfoo1

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2014, 07:05:00 AM »
They are awesome engines and i would absolutely love to have one.. but i'm not doubling the build price of an already expensive engine to get to one.

And i may be wrong but it was my understanding that you were looking at 35-45k just to get in the game..   Which for that price you are talking a bout a straight up racing engine of a wedge motor.

How much does something like the 950hp setup you build cost to build?  Does it start to come back towards what it costs to build a 950hp 385 series?  which i know approaches  astronomical prices at that point as well.

JamesonRacing

• 1966 - What a great year for FOMOCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2014, 08:19:59 AM »
For me, I grew up with 390 Fairlanes, and wedge head 427s fit into my Fairlane chassis the same as the original 390.  Cost is certainly a big factor as well.  What I would like to do, if I could afford the cost and time, would be to build a blown cammer and put it in a nostalgia front engine dragster, running on methanol...maybe a clone of the Don P-shoed Shelby Super Snake.  Build it to fit the rules for Meltdown Drags and other vintage events.

But today, even if I had one, I have no vehicles that I can fit it in except for my F250.
1966 Fairlane GT, Silver Blue/Black 496/C4 (9.93@133)
1966 Fairlane GT, Nightmist Blue/Black 465/TKO (11.41@122)
1966 Fairlane GTA Conv, Antique Bronze/Black, 418EFI/C6
1966 F250 C/S, Rangoon Red, 445/T19
1965 Falcon Futura 4-door, Turquoise, EF! Z2363/4R70W

The Magic Ratchet

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2014, 08:47:03 AM »
I chose cost, but not in the sense that I think parts prices are out of line. It's just too much money for my family's budget to absorb. If I had multiple picks, I might have added "availability of parts" and "reliability" too. Any engine I might build is going to get driven, lots, and I can't even imagine trying to source replacement parts for a "cammer" when you are broken down on the side of the road. I do have a soft spot for the FE as I worked on them from the mid-60's to the late 80's (when I actually turned wrenches for a living) but any FE (especially a SOHC) has climbed out of our price range. There has been an FE planned for my '58 F-100 for years but never the wherewithal, or necessity, to start building it. I had to leave my "donor" 390/C6 behind when I moved to GA and, now that it's time, I think the new plan is going to revolve around a 351W. The initial cost will be lower, fuel mileage should be better, and availability of replacement parts at any local parts store is easier. Not what I'd really like to have, but it will certainly fit my budget better. I keep hoping I'll trip over that "undiscovered" FE that I can afford to build but, even if I do, it's still an extra $1k to bolt up an AOD transmission.

Lou
Lou Manglass
Proud owner of "The Magic Ratchet"

Dave427SOHC

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2014, 08:59:42 AM »
Cost is #1 with the economy the way it is and the cost of living riseing and paying for those who dont want to work, How can most average 50K-60k a year average joe afford a SOHC? I have been gathering parts when I can afford them yes my dream of a sohc will come true someday Its YIWORK Ha seriously the house and the kid come first.. So my plan is a 63.5-64-65 Galaxie with a SOHC I thought i would be further along than I am but thats not the case I been living through some of you  ;D anyways @ 20-25k for just the parts to build the engine that cost is why i dont have a completed project.

BigNate

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2014, 09:28:45 AM »
I'll give you my reasons and weight them (1-10 - totally subjective):

Rank... Description................................... Weight
1.........Cost................................................10
2.........Complexity - don't have time...............2
3.........Parts availability (lack of variety)..........2
4.........Unknown Territory*............................1
*(no guts to take on a custom fit solution)

Just my 2 cents...
Arrrrg.... LOL  My sig line everywhere else is somewhat political... Will that get me kicked?

wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2014, 12:33:03 PM »
This is my view i have been luckey Phil Fair lived about ten miles from me for a few years. I was able to work on some cammers with him so i know a little about them.They have a wow factor when you open the hood thats hard to beat but cost to much to build  i like all the fe power. But the bang for the buck just aint their for me.

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2014, 02:44:05 PM »
Cost for me too.  I don't even have a 427 block, but I am happy with my 445 stroker, fits my application perfectly.  Plenty strong and reasonable on the cost end (well, when you add up everything else I've done to the Gal maybe not so much :P).

Given my addictive personality, the SOHC would lead to "what should I put it in"? and so on.  I'd be shopping Fairlanes, whacking shock towers and writing checks.
Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick

sumfoo1

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2014, 02:51:50 PM »
Cost for me too.  I don't even have a 427 block, but I am happy with my 445 stroker, fits my application perfectly.  Plenty strong and reasonable on the cost end (well, when you add up everything else I've done to the Gal maybe not so much :P).

Given my addictive personality, the SOHC would lead to "what should I put it in"? and so on.  I'd be shopping Fairlanes, whacking shock towers and writing checks.

you and i have the same personality... which is why my 427 stroker with a t-56 is in danger of becoming twin turbo with a lenco.

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2014, 04:50:43 PM »
You are part of the reason Jay!    reading of your SOHC exploits taught me that the SOHC is one complex hombre.  EVERYTHING you listed in the survey is certainly and extremely relevant and in what order is more related to the way the wind blows that week. 
To its credit the FORD FE SOHC is truly a COOL oddball. None of the other big three ever even brought an over head cam big block complex engine to production let alone to the point it was raced and of course won.
Honestly I have problems understanding why the FE Tunnel Ports never took off with aftermarket parts in recent times other then perhaps the power is not there compared to what can be had from a standard wedge today.

Looking at the reality of it Jay you are the only one,  I believe that has ever even showed up at Drag Week with a Ford SOHC. The Bang for the buck is terrible. Simply throw down the Boss 429 card w/ the Mountain Motor option....

Tommy-T

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2014, 05:56:29 PM »
My take is a little different.
When I went from 390's to 427's, a natural progression, cars went faster...BUT...the fun level didn't rise in a linear fashion. Always in the back of my mind was the fact that if I bust this thing it's gonna hurt the 'ol wallet exponentially. Kind'a sucks the fun out'a the project. I could probably afford one, but I'd be so nervous about it come'n apart I'd think of reasons not to drive it.

My pal SOHCLane has a blown cammer in his '63 Fairlane. Once you see one apart it isn't really intimidating at all...especially next to the cammer Mercedes V8's I've been working on for over 30 years. The Ford SOHC is a really well thought out kit on the 427 Wedge, and the parts are really cool '60's tech. Reliability shouldn't be a concern. BTW, the original non-adjustable rocker arms with different thickness shims to set lash are by-a-wide-margin the most reliable system ever used, and MANY European cars used, and still use this system that rarely, if ever, need to be adjusted in the life span of an engine. It is a shame that due to laziness that the cammer de-volved to the elephant foot adjustable.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2014, 07:42:43 PM »
I have 2 complete 427 SO Medium Riser engines that are all Ford from the oval air-cleaners down to the factory deep sump pans,

How long did it take you to collect the parts for those two?

Mark, I've had all my 427 parts and spare pieces for well over 25 years (same with all the NOS parts on my Mach). I started buying the stuff back when it wasn't so difficult to find at swap meets and was still affordable....back when the 427s were still the "forgotten engine". I was just a young punk then :)  I had a huge influence on me as a kid with a couple of local guys who were die-hard FE guys and were running them when everybody else had forgotten about them. Except for flatheads when I was a youngster, the FE has always been my favorite engine every since I can remember. Wouldn't have it any other way!
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2014, 07:42:54 PM »
I'm just thinking that by the time an engine is assembled, its too pretty to put in a car and they wind up as garage art or if the woman of the house is car friendly, as living room furniture.

fe66comet

« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2014, 08:58:55 PM »
Honestly I can get way more horsepower for a lot less money in a smaller package. Modern engines produce more power and get better fuel economy. Plus for the cost of a 427 SOHC I could buy a whole street drivable 1000 HP Shelby Super Snake and have something with resale value. If you drop a SOHC in a Mustang you had better love it because if you sell it you are gonna take a monster hit.

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2014, 11:42:03 PM »
Jay, got to ask something about the "efficiency" of the 427SOHC
  FoMoCo has made a commitment to go with "cammer" motors and ditched the pushrods. The no-brainer advantage is that cammer ports do not have to compete for real estate with pushrods - this allows for better ports/breathing. The second key feature of cammers is they run a fraction of the valvetrain weight and that spells high rpm capacity that OHVs can only dream of which is great on a  race track.
   Is there any way to compare a moderate OHC with a OHV in power clear across the power band as close as can be apples to apples?.................
    What I'm aiming at is an "economy" SOHC can not take advantage of the RPM allowed by the lightweight valvetrain - In other words a SOHC that is going to utilize the advantage of it's lightweight valvetrain requires a shortblock that can rev like crazy.  High Revs are real rough on an economy build because where that OHCs rpm goes demand$ high dollar components.

427Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2014, 11:59:33 PM »
I will probably build/get one in the next few years for my 68..I don't care about anything better,more powerfull or lighter..A bone stock factory one would be just fine with me...

I have already made room for one in the 68...

1968 Mustang Fastback...427 MR 5spd (owned since 1977)
1967 Mustang coupe...Trans Am replica
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2014, 07:05:43 AM »
Nice work on those shock towers  :)
Bob Maag

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2014, 11:42:52 AM »
I think that may be a more appropriate Poll regarding SOHC's....

Why do you want a SOHC 427?

1. cuz I just freaking gotta have one, nothing else will scratch the itch
2. Because it looks so awesome!
3. Because I want the pinnacle of 1960's FE technology (lump this is with the OEM type equipment folks)
4. I have too much money and this beats playing golf
5. I measure my genitals with a micrometer and this makes me feel better

Either way, total respect to anyone that slogs away building one, I simply lack the motivation.

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2014, 11:59:10 AM »
I think that may be a more appropriate Poll regarding SOHC's....

Why do you want a SOHC 427?

1. cuz I just freaking gotta have one, nothing else will scratch the itch
2. Because it looks so awesome!
3. Because I want the pinnacle of 1960's FE technology (lump this is with the OEM type equipment folks)
4. I have too much money and this beats playing golf

Either way, total respect to anyone that slogs away building one, I simply lack the motivation.
As with me too....I no longer wrench just for the sake of wrenching. No more building a engine then looking for a car or boat to put it in. These days I want all my cars to be dead nuttz reliable so I don't HAVE to work on them. All my cars are "Would drive anywhere, at any time" reliable with only a oil/water/tire check.

Royce

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2014, 12:46:05 PM »

This is the affliction most scrub owners suffer from.  Esp Corvette owners
1955 Thunderbird Competition Coupe Altered Chassis "War Bird" 383 Lincoln Y block 520 hp
1955 Thunderbird 292 275 hp Y Block
1956 Ford Victoria 292 Y block

1957 Mercury 2dr Wagon "Battle Wagon" drag car 
1957 Thunderbird Glass body Tube Chassis drag car 333 cu in 500 hp Ford Y block
1961 Starliner 390/375 clone
1965 GT40 tribute w/FE
1966 Falcon Pro Touring project
Kaase Boss 547. 840 HP 698 Torque  pump gas
1992 BMW V-12 5.0
2001 Lincoln 5.4 4 cam.
1968 Cougar XR7

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2014, 12:52:47 PM »
I'm still planning on being the first guy on planet earth to put a SOHC in a F250 Highboy. But having the stones to actually go out and bash on it like you Jay will be a challenge.  ;D
Kevin McCullah

sixty3

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2014, 01:20:31 PM »
It sure would look good in my 63 boxtop, BUT keeping with the goal of G-code tribute for now.  So guess I may have to pull the plug on the 63.5 fastback I've been looking at!  Reality is I'm one of the younger ( and lots to learn ) crowd.  Got "hooked" on the Nostalgic drag racing before the Meltdowns and other events.  They just pushed me over the edge to get it done, now I'm thinking of a second car, more for my wife than me or that's what she thinks. So I will always stay with the FE and doubt I WILL have funds for both it and a strictly drag car that would then get a 385series.

Reality is I will most likely never be able to afford it.  But hope all who have contributed will continue and increase public exposure.  I never thought I would get a 427, but the possibility is still there.  When the time comes will have to decide 427 or stroked 390?  There is a local racer who has complete package for cheaper if not the same cost as stroked 390. As usual no money ( or not enough for both ) at the moment so I will leave work today with the ride that got me here....1963 Galaxie powered by the garage built 390 and proud of it.

As stated above I will set back and dream of what the big dogs are running and hoping some day just to get a ride........
Later
Kevin

57yblock

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2014, 11:31:20 PM »
I have to add my opinion and you know what it will be. COST and bottom line. Kasse P51 heads are 845.00 dollars apiece bare. The block for a 385 is usually about a 100.00 or a little more. A complete stroker kit is going to be less that 2000.00. Start figuring it out. The rest of the stuff to complete the engine is going to be roughly the same price as a brand X big block. A pump gas engine will easily make 750 plus hp with not any drama. The stock block will handle somewhere over 800hp too. I really just bolted my 545 together without any specialized parts and it made slightly over 700 hp and 700 ft lbs of torque. well over 300 dragstrip passes with minimal problems and it crosses the finish line at 6700 every pass. Mine has the Ford cobra jet second gen aluminum heads not the P51's which are even better. :) I know the "bling" effect is not there but affordability is very real to compete with the brand X junk.

Richard F

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2014, 08:18:21 PM »
Cost is one factor, but the biggest factor is reliability of the aftermarket parts.  I remember the problems you were having with rocker arms.  I, being 53, have always dreamed of Boss 429's and 427 cammers.  I never had the money for either until recently.  I have run some nice 390's, 289's, and a 351C, but I always longed for one of the Holy Grails...a cammer or Boss.  Now I can afford one...I'd prefer a cammer since the FE is my first love.

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2014, 07:08:27 PM »
A cammer is way more wow facter ,  385 is cheaper and boss nine stuff is available ... BUTT if Jay or some one does this a 520 inch f e could make 700-750 h p as well .. Bud 
69 mach 1 , 428 C J  Blue Oval Performance BBM heads -T@D rocker s- Blue thunder intake - Comp hydr roller - MSD ignition - FPA headers- Holley 850 hp double pumper - TKO 600 - 9 inch 3.89 Detroit Locker . ride tech coil over conversion - power rack @ pinoin steering - 13 inch drilled @ slotted 4 wheel disc brakes ..

hotrodfeguy

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2014, 10:39:47 PM »
I think if I won the Powerball and money was a non issue, I would go find a nice 55-57 Chevy and drop a CAMMER in it. Just to piss off the Bow ties. And so I could tell them it was the only way I could make it go faster  ;D  And even then with the CI a BOSS engine can come up with is amazing. And I have to be honest if a person got that to seriously hook up that would be a fun ride.

But it does come down to $$$ While I am still waiting on my wedge heads for my 427 stroker. it was the way I chose and I was going to part together a cammer one by one over time. But the cost of a seriously nice Powerstroke truck came to mind and I said screw it. And if done right you can come fairly close with a wedge. Granted would I ever beat a cammer? Most likely not. Will I have fun with my 527 wedge yes. I have also heard that the cammer has the ability to run a much larger 4.75 crank in it. as the cam is no longer a contact point. But even then, that brings in a VERY custom crank.

Garyford

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2014, 03:46:46 PM »
As the cost is above my hobby budget, that is probably the most rigid personal reason.  But from an emotional point of view (more heart, less accountant) I generally favor simple solutions, so I voted that way, trying to extrapolate my feelings if cost were not an issue.

It would be a bit embarrassing to have such a mighty engine in a 15 second car I am capable of putting together, and then have someone like DaleP show up with a low 10 second car powered by a pickup truck 390 (slight exaggeration on the pickup truck description, but he does keep a low profile).   

bw_kc

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2014, 05:56:12 PM »
Cost for me as well.  That being said - if I won the lottery a SOHC would be the 1st engine I'd build!!!