Poll

Why don't I put an SOHC in my car?

Cost of building the engine is too high
63 (77.8%)
Complexity of the engine is too great
2 (2.5%)
Doesn't fit in the vehicles I like (e.g. shock tower interference)
7 (8.6%)
Spotty availability of the parts
4 (4.9%)
It wouldn't be original to the vehicle
0 (0%)
Not interested in aftermarket SOHC components, only factory Ford parts
1 (1.2%)
Concerns about the engine's reliability
0 (0%)
Other (please specify)
4 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: Why aren't more people building SOHCs?  (Read 28548 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Why aren't more people building SOHCs?
« on: September 17, 2014, 12:40:46 PM »
It's been about 5-6 years since the aftermarket started stepping up with SOHC parts, so that it would be possible to build a complete SOHC engine from aftermarket parts.  The SOHC is definitely the king of the FE engines, and I for one figured that we would start to see a whole bunch of them in various 1960s Ford vehicles once the aftermarket parts became available.  There certainly are more of them out there than there used to be, but not as many as I figured there would be by now.  What gives?  Why aren't more people building these killer engines?  I posted the poll above to try to get an idea of what people are thinking on this.  If you have a different reason than those listed, please post in this thread to explain.  I'm very curious about this...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

MRadke

• View Profile
Re: Why aren't more people building SOHCs?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 01:13:23 PM »
I'll take a stab at this Jay.

In my case, I make enough to live comfortably and keep my car up but even small things like a set of headers mean taking funds away from something else more important to my family.

For those people with the available budget, I think that it is still more of a car show and statement engine that doesn't fit in very many racing classes.  Like it or not, it is perceived to be more expensive to build and maintain than other engines of similar horsepower capability.  It is most certainly beyond the realm of the average garage build in complexity. 

I applaud your efforts to advance the state of the art of  these engines and have followed most if not all of your builds with great interest.  Best of luck on rebuilding your drag week engine.  I'll be watching for progress.

Mike

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 01:36:57 PM »
To be brutally honest, If I were going to build an engine that physical size, it would be a Boss 600 CI with Kaase heads and intake.  It is cheaper, would make more horsepower, much more reliable, and has many more parts readily available in the aftermarket.  I like the FE about as well as anyone, and I have 4 complete FEs, but there ARE other engines that make horsepower easier and cheaper and are easier to work with.  JMO, but I am FORD through and through---Y block, anyone???  LOL  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 01:53:16 PM »
You need deep pockets to build a serious FE.
You need to sew pocket extenders on to even consider a SOHC.
My fantasy is a 871 bird catcher injected SOHC.

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 01:54:32 PM »
For me, (false perception or not), they are still too expensive component wise.  Take a decent pair of aftermarket aluminum heads...you're looking roughly double the cost for a set of base cammer heads vs a set of base regular heads.  I'm not seeing a prices on used parts being that much lower either.  A guy can probably find a good used pair of regular aluminum heads for under a grand complete via forums, ePay or occasionally on craigslist.  I can't even remember the last time I saw a set of used cammer heads...anywhere outside of ePay and they were still spendy.

gtxpress

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 01:59:21 PM »
When you look around and find this....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Ford-Aluminum-SOHC-427-FE-Cammer-Engine-Complete-/380282550288

It is a little pricey to say the least. 

tell me you can build one for 15K and I would vote for that.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 02:04:40 PM »
For me, (false perception or not), they are still too expensive component wise. 

It's no false perception, they are really expensive component wise, starting with the heads.  I'm trying to figure out if that is the biggest barrier to entry, or if there is more to it than that.  To me, the fact that they won't drop into the shock tower cars is a big drawback...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 02:07:52 PM »
I'm with Joe.....  I LOVE the FE's, and I'd happily kick the 429 outta my car for a 427, but if I could, a 521 Boss would be a cinch to build at home (lets not forget I'm 3 hours from Winder Georgia) and I suspect I could make the same power level as anyone with a SOHC.

nothing against the SOHC, but for a cruiser like I've got where drag racing isn't really a priority, If someone gave me a set of SOHC heads right now, I'd probably sell them on Ebay and build a different engine....

that ebay link!!!
for a dude that lives in a $90k house (me), I couldn't justify building a $45k engine.

I'm gonna add a small reason for myself....
I'm 35 years old, i never saw a SOHC in action, never thought about it, never lusted over it.....  I got into Ford's because I was poor and 70's era ford trucks were cheap and ran forever.  If they did break a trip to the junkyard yielded what I needed for $50 or less.  Thus I became a Ford-Man....   I never even noticed Chevy cars, they all look pretty much the same to me, Dodges muscle cars are pretty, but WAY overpriced for what they are.  So when I saw a 63.5 Galaxie with a 427 my heart fell, I was in love, I didn't know what it'd take, but I HAD to have one.  So when I finally started making stupid amounts of money, I went and got one to fix up (ended up being 2 of them because I suck at body work).  I was still in that poverty awareness, deeply rooted in my core, so a 427 wasn't gonna happen, but a 429 provided the fix.  Someday the 427 wedge might happen, but I still don't get tight pants near a SOHC. 
I voted "too expensive" in this poll, but to be honest, I really need to click about three or four of those buttons.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 02:17:36 PM by Drew Pojedinec »

gtxpress

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 02:13:55 PM »
1+

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 02:28:02 PM »
In the latest Hot Rod magazine, John Kaase has an ad for a complete Boss Nine engine kit for the do-it-yourself engine builder that includes his semi-hemi cylinder heads, accompanying pistons, pins and rings, as well as pushrods, shaft-mounted rockers, and induction system.  Everything to complete the full assembly is supplied--except the block, crank, and rods.  Even Boss valve covers for $9100.  I have a completed 460 Super Cobra Jet engine(alum. heads) I built for a customer that dynoes at 651/590 and I built it complete from Canton oil pan to Dominator/Victor with solid lifter camshaft for less than $8500.  I purchased a Motorsports 460 short block with 11.5 cr for this build.  A set of Hooker Super Comp headers, and it was complete for less than $9200.00  You cannot begin to build a 650 hp FE for that amount in todays market.  Joe-JDC
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 02:31:52 PM by Joe-JDC »
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

XR7

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 02:46:38 PM »
I think the top 3 options for answers on your poll, are probably the reasons in that order. I have never seen one and couldn't afford to build one either. Although there are now parts to build them, I think it will take awhile to "populate" so to speak. I have heard there are more and more being built and "car builders" are doing show cars with them, etc.

I did talk with Doug at Precision oil pumps recently, and he said he is selling a ton of SOHC parts now. So I guess people are building them, we just don't hear about all of them maybe?

I have a new friend that is trying to get one built, Coon's heads, Shelby block, belt drive, etc. and is having trouble with his "builder", he's been sending thousands of dollars again and again, but no progress. I hate to hear stories like that, but it can happen with any engine I guess, not the engines fault...
68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior

Ford428CJ

• FE FREAK!
    • View Profile
    • Hillside Auto
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 03:45:45 PM »
I would say the price tag! Most guys (to include me) cant afford a 427... Let alone a SOHC 427! Most of the guys here can fab up some stuff. No doubt about that and make it fit! I cant justify $35000+ for 1 FE. I could build 4~6 FE's or so with that kind of money.... Parts or no parts... Price is way to high LOL. JMHO
Wes Adams FORD428CJ 
03 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 6.0 and 35's
64 Falcon 428FE
55 FORD Truck 4-link Rides on air with 428FE
http://www.hillsideauto.org/

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 04:14:25 PM »
I have built several.  Many are not yet in cars - very long term projects.
I think the holdback really is cost.
Many FE builds are an accumulation of years - or decades of collecting.
The wedge motors can be built to over 800HP and still cost less that the entry level Cammer.
You simply need to be a really, really serious hitter to make the jump.
Once you do - you never want to step back :)

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 04:15:18 PM »

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 04:21:57 PM »
Bang for the buck..or lack of is why I don't build a Cammer.  Other than eye appeal running a Cammer on the street is a complete waste of money just to impress the fools and idiots who think my 60 or 61 Starliner is a Pontiac Bonneville or a DeSoto. Having that much horsepower in a street only vehicle is too tempting and dangerous, at least for me as I hold a class 1 drivers licence and any moving violation would mean my commercial truck insurance would more than double in cost if I could obtain it at all [depending on the violation] [exhibition of speed or dragracing can mean jail time], not to speak of the fine or possibly even a stretch in the Greybar Hotel. Up until a couple of years ago I ran 2 385 series powered flatbottom-V-drive boats [lake/river only] and could easily get my speed fix in one of those with little or no fear of a moving violation. And the sensation of speed on water is 10 times that of a car.