Author Topic: The Road to Drag Week 2014 - July 27  (Read 21375 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
The Road to Drag Week 2014 - July 27
« on: July 27, 2014, 11:20:22 PM »
Just a short report this week, plus a video.  I got the rear end gears installed on Wednesday night, and spent Friday night and Saturday until noon getting the throttle linkage worked out.  From there I started working on the wiring, disconnecting all the wiring for the old ems-pro EFI system, and the datalogger electronics that I had added to it, and then working over the wiring for the MS3X that I had put together on the dyno.  Bill Conley was in town over the weekend visiting his wife's family, and he stopped by for a few hours on Saturday night to help out.  Towards the end of the night we had beer and pizza, and Bill snapped this photo of me installing some of the MS3X wiring in the car:

I had no idea that the broad, flat surface of the plenum would be so convenient for holding a couple of beers :D  Anyway, I got most of the way done with the wiring on Saturday night and finished the MS3X wiring up by about noon on Sunday.  After a family commitment I was back out in the shop by 3:00; I still had to install the wiring for the O2 sensor controller and a new relay and wiring for the electric water pump.  Once finished with that I turned on the power, and happily there was no smoke.  After checking out some of the systems everything seemed to be working well except for the Aeromotive fuel pump.  It had flipped on once when I was messing with the wiring, and that was it.  Finally I gave up on that for a while, and finished up under the car, which involved filling the differential with oil, draining the old transmission fluid, installing the pipes and mufflers, and then installing the rear tires in preparation for breaking in the rear end gears.  After that was all done it was around 6:00 PM, and I decided to take the fuel pump and filter arrangement of the dyno and plug it into the car.  Once I did this the fuel system started working fine.  Filled her up with trans fluid and put water in the radiator, and crossed my fingers as I turned the key.  The engine spun over with no trouble, but wouldn't start.  I broke down and hooked the computer up to the EFI system, and realized at once when the display came up that I had not recalibrated the throttle position sensor.  I did that, and tried again, and this time the car fired right up.  Next I wired in the electric fan control, and set up the software to turn the fans on at 180 degrees, and started the engine again.  As it warmed up the idle came up higher and higher, and I still have to address that issue.  The Accufab throttle bodies have the throttle stop screws loctited in place, and there is no additional screw to set the throttle openings, so I had to try to do that with the linkage.  That of course is not the ideal solution, and I'm going to have to work on that in the coming week to find a solution.  But after adjusting the throttle linkage a little more I got the engine to settle into a 1500 RPM idle (?), and warmed it up.  Everything looked fine, so after it cooled a little I took the following video, where I started up the engine again and put the car in first gear to break in the new rear end gears.   The video is not the greatest quality but you will get the idea.  You will also see that there is a lot of cleanup and finish work left to do on the car:

http://youtu.be/DZb7XK9qNMM

After I got done breaking in the rear end gears I felt pretty good about this thing.  Then, I looked under the car, and saw a big puddle of oil with drips coming from the back of the pan  :( :(  I'm a little baffled by this, because the engine wasn't leaking any oil on the dyno, but somehow between the move from the dyno to the car, something has changed.  I started the car up again to try to find the source of the leak but it appears to be dripping all across the back of the oil pan, and the front side of the flywheel is wet with oil.  Its almost like the rear main blew out, and badly at that.  Right up to that point I was confident I was going to make it to the track on Friday this week, but it is leaking so much oil I don't think I dare take it racing.  It looks like I'm going to have to pull the pan.  I will do some more investigation on this tomorrow night and try to figure out where it is leaking; maybe I can patch it externally with some RTV if its not the rear main.  We'll have to wait and see if I can make it to the track or not.  I'll post another update next Sunday...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: The Road to Drag Week 2014 - July 27
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 12:28:06 AM »
Egads, look at all that wiring! :o  I'm guessing there's no schematic to glance at...lol
Funny how parts can go bad while not being used. At least you had a spare pump handy. Same with my starter, worked when taken out but nothing when I checked it with a battery before installing it. I hope the oil leak isn't in the rear seal or back of the block. Mine didn't leak a drop, just made a terrible racket inside the bellhousing :(  Pizza sounds good right now.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

rcodecj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 10:35:50 AM »
I always enjoy your posts as well as the videos. 
I always end up tipping my beer over if it's anywhere near me when I'm working on the car.
Could something be going on with your vacuum pump that would cause excessive crankcase pressure?
I don't know what it is but it seems like there are more new parts failures than there used to be.
Hopefully it's not to hard to figure out and repair.
Best of luck.

900HP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 11:26:23 AM »
It looks like a cross between a race car and the space shuttle.  I hope the oil leak isn't a huge deal, I can't wait to see this thing go! ;D

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 11:53:44 AM »
Car is so excited to have a Cammer engine in it that it made a little puddle on the floor!
Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 11:56:29 AM »
Well crap an oil leak! Not good! Hopefully it's not coming from the back of the block.

Hell that plenum top is a giant coaster! Next time mill a couple of "FE Power beer goes here" spots. Maybe do a nice blue anodized script inlay too.  8)
Kevin McCullah

900HP

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 12:10:14 PM »
Well crap an oil leak! Not good! Hopefully it's not coming from the back of the block.

Hell that plenum top is a giant coaster! Next time mill a couple of "FE Power beer goes here" spots. Maybe do a nice blue anodized script inlay too.  8)

For Outstanding Racing Drinks ?

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 12:19:23 PM »

I always end up tipping my beer over if it's anywhere near me when I'm working on the car.
When I walk into the garage my beer falls over on it's own just to save time ;D.

Jay, does sound good, I'm with CJ Doug on the wiring.  Looks pretty intimidating from my end but probably second nature to you.

Hope that oil leak doesn't set you back too far, really looking forward to hearing and seeing it off of those jack stands.
Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 01:17:15 PM »
Egads, look at all that wiring! :o  I'm guessing there's no schematic to glance at...lol

Actually, I have a complete schematic for the entire car.  When I built it in 2010-2011 I tore all the factory wiring out, and as I installed new, color coded wiring I drew in the same color lines on my schematic, done in my 2D CAD program.  It looks like a real rats nest in there, and I guess it is, but with the schematic I can muddle my way through.  I actually need to update the schematic now, with the new EFI system, so the schematic is currently a little out of date...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 03:02:28 PM »
I seem to remember you had a bit of trouble with your super slick oil pan. ;)
Wonder if a pin hole opened up.
You were so careful with your seal installations and with negative pressure would one blow like that?
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

cdmbill2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 07:27:18 PM »
Jay:

My Accufab TB's have stacked set screws. Pull out the outer one and their is one behind it that actually engages the stop. The second screw allows you to be sure they don't move once adjusted. I have mine set up to draw air from both instead of just one. It seemed happier in terms of AFR balance that way. I tried sequential progressive linkage but that was a fail so they are 1:1 linked with the progressive set of link bars for the "secondaries". I did re-drill the attachment point on my original to get the maximum delay before the "secondary' opens and when I bought #2 for the dual setup I found they had made it a running change. I also had to wittle on mine a bit for manifold top clearance as you did.

When Scott comes in two weeks we may try the dual idle valves. So far I haven't used them.

Bill

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 08:25:51 PM »
Actually, I have a complete schematic for the entire car. 

Actually, I figured you did. I wouldn't expect anything less from an engineer. I have no idea about the 2D CAD program, but drawing schematics is an art form unto itself.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

JamesonRacing

• 1966 - What a great year for FOMOCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 08:46:08 PM »
Maybe a stupid question, but can you use an IAC or something like it to control idle speed on a higher horsepower engine? 
1966 Fairlane GT, Silver Blue/Black 496/C4 (9.93@133)
1966 Fairlane GT, Nightmist Blue/Black 465/TKO (11.41@122)
1966 Fairlane GTA Conv, Antique Bronze/Black, 418EFI/C6
1966 F250 C/S, Rangoon Red, 445/T19
1965 Falcon Futura 4-door, Turquoise, EF! Z2363/4R70W

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 09:00:37 PM »
Jay:

My Accufab TB's have stacked set screws. Pull out the outer one and their is one behind it that actually engages the stop. The second screw allows you to be sure they don't move once adjusted. I have mine set up to draw air from both instead of just one. It seemed happier in terms of AFR balance that way. I tried sequential progressive linkage but that was a fail so they are 1:1 linked with the progressive set of link bars for the "secondaries". I did re-drill the attachment point on my original to get the maximum delay before the "secondary' opens and when I bought #2 for the dual setup I found they had made it a running change. I also had to wittle on mine a bit for manifold top clearance as you did.

When Scott comes in two weeks we may try the dual idle valves. So far I haven't used them.

Bill

Thanks Bill, the big problem I've got is that I can't even get the set screws to come out.  There may indeed be two of them in there, but I don't know because the accessible one is stuck.  I've already bent one Allen wrench trying to get one of them out of there.  I think I may resort to heat at some point, but I'm a little reluctant to do that on the anodized aluminum...
Jay Brown

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 09:02:47 PM »
Maybe a stupid question, but can you use an IAC or something like it to control idle speed on a higher horsepower engine?

I think so, but never having done it (and having had good luck with the throttle stop approach) I don't know what can of worms I may be opening.  Sounds like cdmbill2 is going to be trying it soon, with help from Scott Clark; maybe he'll post his results here...
Jay Brown