Author Topic: My 427 SOHC Build..... Finally the time has come!  (Read 775896 times)

cobracammer

• View Profile
Re: My 427 SOHC Build..... Finally the time has come!
« Reply #1440 on: July 06, 2016, 04:15:04 PM »
No remote solenoid on this one.  Its an MSD starter with the signal wire and power wire on the back.  This is a new starter that was working perfectly when I took it out.  Wired up exactly the same as the last time I had it running.  Not too sure on this one
Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

Tboggus

• View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: July 06, 2016, 04:17:52 PM »
I would get under there and make sure you have full voltage to the power wire, first. Then, have someone turn the switch and see if you have power at the signal lead. But first, and this sounds simple. How about fuses? Neutral safety switch? Clutch switch?

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: July 07, 2016, 09:43:37 AM »
I'd start with a test light to the trigger wire on the starter, should light up when you turn the key.

If it does not light up, check any safety switches on the tranny and/or jumper wires you installed, or potentially fuses or circuit breakers. 

If it does light up, then the starter failed
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: July 08, 2016, 10:25:49 AM »
Thanks Guys.  I will get under there with a volt meter and poke around.  What kills me is that this is a brand new MSD Starter.  After the last one melted, I purchased a brand new replacement.  It worked perfectly and started the car about 10 times or so before I pull the engine out and sent it off to Jay.  It looks mint still, all wires are good (not melted), and it is wired up exactly (only better since I sanded down a lot of the powder coat on the ground wires) as it was when it last ran.

I will start with the Signal wire and make sure I am getting a signal.  Honestly I hope its not getting a signal because then its probably the Starter Safety Switch on the Clutch pedal.  Stupid little delay unfortunately.  Ill keep you posted.  ** Update - The more I read online and the more I think about the first time I turned the key and nothing happened.......  the more I think its a Ground Issue.  I will run through this again and maybe I can job my own memory.  The Starter case is its own ground.  Since it bolts to the bell housing, its grounding to the engine(via the bell housing).  The first time I turned the key (last year), I got the exact same problem.  NO click of the solenoid, No drain of the battery, no nothing.  Dash lights, fuel pump, etc all keep going full steam.  Just no reaction from the starter at all.

This is when I made a little custom battery cable.  I sanded down a spot on the tubular K member and attached one side and then attached the other side to one of the bolts holding the Starter to the bell housing.  I also saw (at that time) that there was a ground wire that attaches to the motor mount.  I reattached that to a bolt on the new motor mount and got back into the car.  Starter worked fine.

Later, after discussions on the forum, It was noted that I was missing a ground strap that goes from the engine (cylinder head) to the firewall.  I found that braided strap and attached it to the engine to the drivers side shock tower.  Since the starter had already been working, I just hooked it up as it seems to be a backup.

This time, when I reattached everything, I attached the mini battery cable ground I made to the same places (K member- Starter bolt), I reattached the OEM ground connection to the motor mount bolt, and the last item (the braided cable that was supposed to attach to the cylinder head/ firewall), I found a better place to mount on the front passenger side.  It attached directly to a threaded hole in the block (behind the alternator) and then to a stud coming off of the fender well right across from it).  I don't think this is the issue, but its the only thing I did different.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 11:50:45 AM by cobracammer »
Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: July 08, 2016, 07:53:45 PM »
Ok good news with Bad  lol.  Started with the battery.  Volt meter showed 12.56 Volts.  Then I went under the car to testthe 12v constant and my grounding wire.  I still got 12.56 Volts.  So at this point I have a good battery, good voltage to the starter and my grounding cable is working.  Then I pulled the signal wire, put one tester lead in the end, and the other tester lead on my ground.  Had the wife push the clutch and turn the key.......Still got something like 12.3 volts. 

Then it occurred to me that the starter I installed.......... Wait for it.........  Was the burnt out one that I replaced!  Dern it!  The newer functioning starter was in a box on the shelf. 

So that was the good.  The bad is that I have to take the exhaust off again on the passenger side which sucks since the ceramic coating is so easily scratched.  Then try to torque the bolts on the replacement starter in such a tight space
Jason

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #1445 on: July 08, 2016, 08:30:05 PM »
Oops!   ;D ;D  At least you don't have to spend a bunch of money on new parts...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: July 08, 2016, 08:32:22 PM »
Yes Sir!  And for that reason I'm still smiling  lol
Jason

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: July 08, 2016, 09:07:49 PM »

Then it occurred to me that the starter I installed.......... Wait for it.........  Was the burnt out one that I replaced!  Dern it!  The newer functioning starter was in a box on the shelf. 

That's a pretty good one LOL, glad it worked out   ;D
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: July 09, 2016, 11:36:25 AM »
practice makes prefect

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: July 09, 2016, 09:20:53 PM »
Time for a magic marker in red with a big X on that bad starter and box!  That will solve the issue for the future.  Interesting build, thread, and combination.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: July 09, 2016, 09:50:41 PM »
Time for a magic marker in red with a big X on that bad starter and box!  That will solve the issue for the future.  Interesting build, thread, and combination.  Joe-JDC

Heh... we've all done the "mistaken parts" game.
At work we have fun codes for these things.  I dunno if it's universal or not in industry.

On a non functioning part it gets the "NFG" label.  Drums or totes that no longer hold fluid are simply labelled "M T"

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: July 16, 2016, 04:12:44 PM »
Ok guys.  Took the starter i thought was the new starter to auto zone so they could test it.  Guy hooks it up and hits the button.... 3 second count down on the machine and the a bright camera like flash.  Guy mumbles a little, abd then just hands me the starter saying it doesnt work.  Not sure what the flash was though.  So then im in the garage and it occurs to me.  The car had/has an alarm system.  When I had the car running montgs ago, it was working.  Now, the alarm is not working( i can tell from an LED light bar on the front pillar)  possibly a blown fuse, but would not even know where to look since its not a factory accessory.  Though now is that the alarm not working stops the car from starting???  When I turn the key, I just hear a click from behind the radio console.  Any thoughts?
Jason

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: July 16, 2016, 04:50:57 PM »
My stepson had something like that mounted in a
mercedes. And it wont start, they had sliced the alarm in
under the steering column so we just removed it and then
it worked like it should

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: July 16, 2016, 04:52:38 PM »
inputConnect this wire to the (+) 12 volts ignition wire. This wire is pre-wired to the starter kill relay andmust show (+) 12 volts with the key in RUN position and during cranking. Take great care that thiswire cannot be shorted to the chassis at any point.

Jason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: July 16, 2016, 04:55:24 PM »
Thanks heo.  I posted above the alarm manuals info on a yellow wire I found detached under the dash by the dash on passanger side.  Seems per the directions to control the starter, but i can not find what it used to be attached to???????  CRAP
Jason