Author Topic: My 427 SOHC Build..... Finally the time has come!  (Read 776041 times)

57 lima bean

Re: My 427 SOHC Build..... Finally the time has come!
« Reply #1350 on: April 25, 2016, 11:39:34 AM »
Checkers had 4 headlights. >:(   LOL

ec164

• View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: April 25, 2016, 08:29:00 PM »
Nice job Jay and Congratulations Jason, I hope you have a great time this summer cruising your Bad Ass Car...........Al
You're ahead in a Mercury......all the way

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: April 25, 2016, 08:51:16 PM »
Thanks..... And a HUGE shout out to Jay on the build and Barry for help with logistics!

Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

427Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: April 26, 2016, 10:52:35 AM »
Good job.....engine sounds great.
1968 Mustang Fastback...427 MR 5spd (owned since 1977)
1967 Mustang coupe...Trans Am replica
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: April 29, 2016, 03:15:11 PM »
That's an excellent torque curve.  It should have sweet street driveability  :)

Glad the engine is solid and ready to scare the unsuspecting in that Saleen!  Please post a scan of your first traffic ticket, Jason.
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: May 02, 2016, 07:17:30 PM »
Lol.  Will do!  Can hardly wait!

Thanks all.
Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: May 12, 2016, 10:40:04 AM »
And we're back!
I got the call a few days ago from the shipper that the engine had arrived.  Unfortunately, they were only able to deliver between work hours, and I just started a new job.  With excitement running high, I rushed over to a U-haul dealer and rented a truck.  About 30 minutes later, I am getting the engine loaded into the truck with a smile that couldn't have been wiped off my face even in a prison riot!  About 2 minutes from pulling in the driveway, and I realize that I haven't moved any of my tools (engine crane) to the new home yet.....

Long story short, I was able to slowly lift the box from side to side and work it up onto the ramp of the truck.  then just slowly slid it down into the garage.

The next day, My wife and I took another U-Haul and trailer down to my brothers house where all of my tools and the Saleen were being stored.  As I am sure he was glad to get his garage space back, I was even more pleased to be driving back home with my "goodies".  Now with the engine, trans, and car... and all of my tools returned home, I wanted to start immediately.  In speaking with Jay over the last few months (during the build), he had suggested different spark plug wires (Taylor- Hemi plugs) which would make it much easier to install.  Currently, the MSD boots and wires I rigged up are flimsy and are not easily seated on each plug.  They tended to bend when pushed.  I ordered a set of the Taylor hemi plug wires and will be transferring the SOHC dush boots from my old plugs to these new wires!

Also, we discussed the power steering pump.  Way-way back in this forum post, I had purchased an old 60's era power steering pump that mounts to a bracket on the water pump.  I thought this would make it easier, and even had a special power steering pressure line made at a local hose place.  The only issue at that time was figuring out if the pressure from the 60's pump would be the same as the Saleen's OEM pump (so I didn't blow the rack seals).  IN the end, the engine bay is so tight with the engine in there, that I wasn't able to install the belt on the PS pump due to its interference with the radiator.  Jay had suggested getting the OEM pump to work with a custom bracket.  So I purchased a brand new Saleen PS pump.  Since the Cammer has a V belt set up, I also ordered a brand new OEM PS pulley, but I will just be using this for measurements to find a V belt pulley to take its place.  Hopefully I can find one at March Performance, other wise I will need a machine shop to make me one.  I will still be using the 60's PS bracket, but with a little modification to hold and swing the OEM pump.

Also, during my "Maiden Voyage" back in October of last year, I was running the raw headers with no coating (Since that time I have had them Ceramic coated).  However, they seemed to have discolored the Clutch hydraulic supply line to the transmission.  Rather than take the chance and maybe have a blow out after the trans is already installed, I just ordered new lines to install while the access is easy.

Lastly, there are a lot of "accessories" running to the battery now.  With the FAST EFI system, the Dual radiator fans, the 6AL Ignition box, and a few others, I wanted to clean this up a little before dropping the engine back in.  I purchased a hot wire Bus bar from Jegs.  This will have a jump wire directly to the battery, and I will be able to install all of these accessory hot feed wires out of sight and more importantly...  more securely.

I hope to start on reassembly this weekend and I will try and take a few photos along the way! 

Jason

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: May 12, 2016, 11:07:11 AM »
Yes to photos!  :)
Bob Maag

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: May 12, 2016, 01:12:24 PM »
Might be worthwhile to fabricate some sort of shield for the clutch line if it's that close.

Just curious, what did you do with the old Saleen engine?
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: May 13, 2016, 03:45:55 PM »
Hey Doug,

Yea, I was thinking the same.  At first I thought it was the same issue from before (an arc from the Starter running through the block).  After further examination, it looks like that was fixed, but this time the line was just a little to close to the header.  I actually purchased a shorter line (old one had a little slack) and I plan to pin it up and shield it.  The Saleen actually has OEM heat shields right at about that area on both the drivers and Passenger sides ( I think they were/are to shield the foot box area for the Driver and Passenger.  I may be able to just route it under that and then right up to the master cylinder.

As for the old Saleen Engine and trans, I actually gave it away to my father.  I think he put it on craigslist a few months ago and it sold.  I was in the middle of moving, and just didn't need the stress of finding a temp. home for that kind of stuff.  Honestly.......... I don't miss it   ;)
Jason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: May 15, 2016, 02:56:23 PM »
Ok, just a small update.  Old sparkplug wires have been retired and the new 8mm Hemi Taylor wires have been made.  They fit, tgey are easy to push onto the sparkplug down each tube, and the whole process went smoothly with no Re-Do's or mistakes!  Thats a first for me...

Next step will be mounting the Flywheel, Clutch and bell-housing.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 07:55:00 AM by cobracammer »
Jason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: May 17, 2016, 08:14:14 AM »
OK so tonight I will be going in to button up the Flywheel, Bellhousing, and Starter.  It took me some time to track down the instruction manuals for each online so I could get the correct torque specs, but all have been attained.

In other news, I ordered a pulley to use on the OEM power steering pump.  The original power steering pump used a serpentine 6 rib pulley, and it was small (somewhere around 5.3" in diameter).  Unfortunately, I was only able to find a Vbelt that measures 6" in diameter with close enough offset and center bore diameter.  The center bore diameter on the OEM pulley was 0.63 and my new replacement is 0.66.  Seems pretty close for press on, but I may keep a bolt and lock washer on the front as well (just to be sure).  I guess my main concern is that with a slightly larger diameter pulley, will I run the chance of blowing seals on my rack?  Its only 0.7" difference.  Any thoughts?  In the end, at least I am using an OEM PS pump on the OEM rack.....
Jason

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: May 17, 2016, 09:50:49 AM »
More important would be the drive to driven ratio.  A larger driven pulley should flow less than a smaller one.  I see no reason it would hurt anything if the drive side is the same. 
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: May 17, 2016, 10:03:01 AM »

The center bore diameter on the OEM pulley was 0.63 and my new replacement is 0.66.  Seems pretty close for press on, but I may keep a bolt and lock washer on the front as well (just to be sure). 

If those numbers are correct, the new pulley hole is 0.030" too big.  You need to be within 0.001" (one thousandth) of the original one in order to achieve any kind of press fit.  That one will be so loose that it will just spin and flop on the shaft, even with your bolt/ washer.

The correct way to do this, unfortunately, is to have a new one machined to the correct size.  Oh - the bigger pulley diameter is not a huge deal.  That will actually make your pump turn more slowly (under-drive).  The only thing you'll see is possibly more steering effort at idle, since the pump will have a harder time keeping up with fast steering inputs.
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: May 17, 2016, 10:48:32 AM »
ok, so that doesn't sound too bad.  I don't mind a little extra effort at idle, as long as I am not over spinning the pump.  Also, in regards to the PS pulley bore diameter, I guess I could find someone to fill in the hole with aluminum (TIG weld?) and then have the bore out a new hole on a lathe?  Honestly, this pulley was the closest thing I could find to a workable piece.  I tried a few different places (Including March Performance) and no one would make a custom pulley, nor did they know where it could be done.  lol

Thanks Guys
Jason