Author Topic: My 427 SOHC Build..... Finally the time has come!  (Read 776049 times)

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: My 427 SOHC Build..... Finally the time has come!
« Reply #1005 on: June 07, 2015, 02:30:52 PM »
Sorry to hear it, but luckily it was close.

Wasn't the belt too narrow for the pulleys?  Also be sure to look at pulley alignment, it has to be right.  Sometimes its not easy to see, when you get the belt back on look how it exits each pulley, it can help you see misalignment.  You often need to look at it from many angles and crane your neck around to see a misalignment

Do you have any indication of voltage or amps in the car (other than the FAST display)?  Seems like the gauges would have told you that you spit a belt.
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: June 07, 2015, 03:09:30 PM »
Funny because i was noticing that the squeal was gone when I started it this time..... But it was because the belt was already gone. Lol
Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: June 07, 2015, 06:38:23 PM »
Belt didnt snap. I actually found the small adjustment bolt for the alternator in the driveway. Looks like it came loose, and then the belt came loose and slipped off the pulleys. Kept running, so melted pieces off ( what i found in the driveway). So ill get the correct belt and reinstall. See whats what.....anyone interested in buying this car?  Selling my house and moving back up north, and will not have a garage. :-(
Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: June 07, 2015, 06:46:06 PM »
See whats what.....anyone interested in buying this car?  Selling my house and moving back up north, and will not have a garage. :-(

If you're serious, I would say try to find a storage facility and keep the car at all costs! Don't let this thing slip away, you will forever miss it I'm sure.
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: June 07, 2015, 08:11:12 PM »
I know.  Honestly doing the mechanical work is getting old.  LOL  I am trying to hold on, but we just put the house up for sale Friday.  Not sure if its back to NYC, or North Florida (where I grew up).

Anyway, I wanted to write a better description now that I am on a computer and not a phone.

This morning, I was getting ready to take the first drive.  I spent all day Saturday running new wiring with heat shrink.  Toggles fit beautifully in the panel I picked up and its conveniently located in the cup holder.  This also allowed me to clean up alot of the wires that I just tie wraped in loops (which as you can see from the older photos, just looked messy).  ECU is still on the top of the bussed electric box, and I was able to run the MSD ignition box up by the firewall on the drivers side.  Hours went into this just so I had perfect connections, wires in looms that run through the center console to the switch panel, etc.

So Sunday afternoon (today) I hopped in and fired it right up.  The odd part was it wouldnt stay at 1000 RPM's (even though it had run perfectly the last few times).  It kept dipping down to like 400 RPM's and stalling.  I decided to just start over with a fresh tune.  Went through all the steps in order to calibrate the TPS and such.  Fired right up, but this time, the RPM's would go from 500 all the way as high as 3000!  only stayed at each end for a few seconds, but honestly the engine was getting warm quick just sitting still in the driveway even with both fans (because of the 3000 RPM's).  Right before it overflowed/ over heated, I heard a small "POP".  Very light noise, but I heard it.   Seconds later, it boiled over. 

Frustrated (as you can imagine) I decided to take the wife and head to a nature preserve in Jupiter FL.  Needed the fresh air and the quiet.  Couldn't understand why I had the EFI working perfect the weeks previous, Idling at 1000, A/F was on target, etc.... and today it went bonkers.

When I came home, I needed to get it back into the garage.  Started by running a fresh tune (yet again) and oddly enough, Fired right up.... and was right on target at 1000 RPM.  Even after it reached temperature and went into learning mode, it didnt need any calibration!  It was right on target!....  Started to pull it into the garage, and thought....  now or never!  Put it into reverse, backed into the road, and started out around the block.

Now, I havent driven any ferrari's or lamborghini's, but I have driven a Viper GTs.... and this was just as scarry.  In 1st gear, it threw me back a little in the seat!  On positive notes....  Transmission worked perfectly.  Hydraulic clutch was responsive and pedal was firm, no whine from the rear end.......  Worked great.

However, 4 or 5 houses down, it just shut off.  Didnt sputter, or anything.  Just off.

When my neighbor got it back to my driveway, we saw that there was a sliver of belt in the driveway.  It was at that point that I realized that that "POP" was the belt.  Later this evening, I actuallly came across the alternator adjustment/ tension bolt.  So it would seem that the alternator slipped down the bracket, the belt came off the pullleys, and just was sitting between the pulleys getting chewed up.  This means not only was the water pump not functioning, but the alternator was not recharging the battery.  Hence the overheating and high temps earlier in the day.... and the car shutting off 5 houses down....  battery is dead (so dead I couldnt get the electric windows up).

Anyway, new (correct size belt) on its way....  I am going to use a lock washer with the alternator bolt this time.

Until next time guys  :0)
Jason

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: June 07, 2015, 09:27:55 PM »
Other than the couple glitches you had and the tensioner bolt backing out, it sounds like next time it should be smooth sailing hopefully. On the tensioner bolt, are you using a lock wasker, flat washer, or none? I would definitely recommend using the lock washer and a flat washer if possible, but just the lock washer would suffice. Also, it will be interesting to see if your new cooling mods work out. Best of luck on getting this dialed in. :)
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: June 08, 2015, 10:35:11 AM »
I think what is bothering me the most (and I cant figure it out)...  Is I have a 3 row radiator, aluminum fan shroud(which was made for this radiator so it fits it perfectly, and these 2 spal fans with pretty beefy motors (3500 CFM together running).... and idling in the driveway , with both fans funning on High... the temperature rises.  I honestly would like to see the temp rise slowly with the 1 fan on, and at the very least, the temp stay where it is (or drop) when the 2nd fan kicks on.

Unsure why its so HOT?

Only thing I can think of is pulling the radiator out again and putting a silicone rubber "seal" around the fan shroud to make sure its only sucking air through the fins and not from around the shroud? 
Jason

MRadke

• View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: June 08, 2015, 01:22:50 PM »
What are the chances that your electric fans slowed due to low amperage and caused your overheat? 

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: June 08, 2015, 01:24:36 PM »
without belt the waterpump is not pumping anywater
so no wounder it overheats and probably the belt
have been slipping for awhile before it jumped of

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: June 08, 2015, 02:05:01 PM »
Go back through the car and check bolts, don't solve another issue yet....broken record....then continue with the drive. 

You may want to take a few wrenches and check anything you can put a wrench on.  Not the first builder who forgot to tighten something

Also, try not to get discouraged.  When a failure is due to the guy assembling it, as in this case, its a good kick in the groin, but it is explainable.  If you couldn't buy parts or had defective parts, it can be a reason to take a knee.  However, this is only a case where you did something you shouldn't.  Fix the belts, give it another once over, and get the car on the road, and then see what it does.

That motor is fresh and tight and as of yet, still finding loose blts and other mistakes, and it is  not properly self-tuned, stay the course.
Ross
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: June 08, 2015, 03:55:31 PM »
Thanks guys.  I had the bolt tight on the alternator bracket, but only had a flat washer on it.... And with the coolant overflowing onto it.... and that coolant stuff is almost oily, it bust have worked itself loose.  I am going to put a lock washer on it this time (in addition to the flat washer).  Belt will be here by Wednesday (so it says)....  Will put the new belt on, make sure that its tight on the pulleys, and then add the lock washer and tighten.  Keep you posted again  :0)

Have to keep the garage neat and tidy now that the realtor is showing the house all the time  LOL
Have to be a clean grease monkey going forward LOL
Jason

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: June 08, 2015, 08:55:37 PM »
Man it's tough to be in a project in the middle of a move, after 20 years plus in the USAF, I feel for you, been there

I've been the tough love guy though and I will stay in that role...but I do want you to know I really respect your hard (and nice) work and good attitude before I give you the poke again :)

HOWEVER, I just want to point out that bolts that get wet or oily don't loosen up.  Lock washers help them stay tight, but a properly torqued bolt doesn't loosen, especially that quickly.  Remember, a BUNCH of bolts in your car live in oil.

The only reason I am dwelling on it is that is because this loose bolt may be friends with others, and you have done too nice of work to break something because of an overlooked bolt.

I know you are busy, and I wish I was still in the south to help hands-on, but don't let yourself believe in gremlins or ignore cause and effect.  You've made a lot of changes, and the more changes we do, the more chances to overlook something.  A good afternoon of "nut and bolting" is done by even race teams checking their work, don't think it's a slam.

Check all the accessory bracket bolts, check the motor mounts, the bell housing bolts, the clamps, etc.  It'll be a nice calm day without much thinking and you might save an expensive part from being broken, or heaven forbid you get it running strong and the steering or brakes fail

BTW, don't sell it, if you have to ship it to Nebraska and I'll give you a hell of a deal on finishing it up for you.  It's too cool to part with and furthermore, will be worth a LOT more once you get it dialed in.
Ross

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: June 08, 2015, 08:59:20 PM »
What he^^^^^^^said.
We're with you, if only in spirit.
Don't sell it.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: June 08, 2015, 11:10:05 PM »
Agreed!  If you were in Southern California I'd be all over that.  I had the privilege of getting the engine sorted out in this beast a couple of years ago  ;)

A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: June 09, 2015, 09:05:32 AM »
How in the world does that thing stay cool with the tiny Cobra radiator?  It looks like a 4 row (just from the thickness) but surface area seems tiny!  What temp does that idle at? 
Jason